FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan / Lincoln Zephyr
The company line:
This trio of midsized five-passenger sedans go on sale in fall 2005. The Ford and Mercury versions will offer a 160-hp, 2.3-liter four-cylinder or a 210-hp, 3.0-liter V6 engine; the higher priced Lincoln will have only the V6. The four-cylinder can be mated to a five-speed manual or a five-speed automatic transmission; the V6 uses a six-speed automatic.

CR's take: All share a platform with the Mazda6, which performed well in our tests. Ford will be offering a family of Fusions, ranging from an $18,000 budget sedan, an all-wheel-drive turbo model in fall '06, and eventually a hybrid.
I still can't believe no MTX for the V6

·
Registered
105 Posts
Unfortunately, everytime an automaker comes up with a new engine/transmission combo they have to put it through a battery of government-required emission tests. Those are apparently expensive enough to eat up most of the profit that would be gained from offering a manual. I guess the Manual/V6 setup in the Mazda6 was not close enough to qualify. I also think the Manual 4 cyl combo for the Fusion only sqeaked through beacsue its already in use on the Focus ST.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually from what Draxas is saying (and from what research I've done) the I4/MTX combo is probably that of the Mazda6, not a Ford.

I'm guessing they put an MTX on the 4cyl just to have an ultra-cheap versioni, not because of any desire for an mtx ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts