FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never installed new speakers before, i have always had best buy do it and i wanted to save money by buying them off the internet and installing them myself.

1. What kind of speakers do you recommend for the doors? I am leaning toward the Infinity Kappa 680.7cs component system for the front doors. Any recomendations???

2. Is it easy to install this system? Do i need to install the new tweeters or can i keep the ones already in the corner of the window and use the existing tweeters with the new crossovers.

3. Do i need to cut anything or is it just inplug the factory speakers and install the new ones with the existing wire already there?

4. I basically don't want to alter the vehicle too much because it is a lease vehicle and want to put the factory speakers back in once i return the vehicle

5. I am leaning toward the component system because i want to add some bass and a little more power, I have a Pioneer DEH-P4900iB reciever and don't want to add a subwoofer, are these component speakers going to give me any more noticable bass over the existing factory speakers?

6. Do I need to add an amp or is the pioneer HU enough power to make these types of speakers sound good?

--Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea how hard or easy this is so any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post pics of the install if i am able to do this.
-Blake

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I would try Pm'ing "KAboom". He seems to be the audio expert, or you can wait, I am sure he will make it around to this thread.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Here are some questions that will answer / advise:

1.) Hear different speakers from a store. I have alpine, but thats only because i wanted to spend around $250 OTD and match my alpine head. If i had more money id get better/different components and run them from a nice amp.

2.) Your new components woofers were made to be used with the new tweeters, not the old factory tweeters. Id advise to install everything (woofer, tweeter and crossover).

3.) There may be adpaters for the wires, but also it depends how the crossover is built. Your speaker wire from the head goes to the crossover and then to your speakers and tweeters.

4.) I got my components done professional install. Even though mine is not a lease and I could have done miner myself... i got scared about fitting the tweeters. Some companies have this: if you have a leased vehicle, they will install and uninstall everyhting.

5.) If you want to fully utilize your components they need to be run from an amp. I think you will be dissapointed at what you get with just the components being run from the head. I dont have mine on a amp yet, but i also have a sub. When i first got mine installed the biggest thing i noticed was the imaging and clarity, not added bass. More power will add a bit more low end, but if you really want a notacble difference you really need a sub.

6.) Get an amp. It will add a bit more to the sound, especially since you dont have a sub.

Other advice:
Get the components professionally installed. Im no NOOB to car installs, but having them fit the tweeters and mount the crossover was worth getting it pro installed.

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote author=bfox57 link=topic=92030.msg1789282#msg1789282 date=1192661950]
I have never installed new speakers before, i have always had best buy do it and i wanted to save money by buying them off the internet and installing them myself.

1. What kind of speakers do you recommend for the doors? I am leaning toward the Infinity Kappa 680.7cs component system for the front doors. Any recomendations???

2. Is it easy to install this system? Do i need to install the new tweeters or can i keep the ones already in the corner of the window and use the existing tweeters with the new crossovers.

3. Do i need to cut anything or is it just inplug the factory speakers and install the new ones with the existing wire already there?

4. I basically don't want to alter the vehicle too much because it is a lease vehicle and want to put the factory speakers back in once i return the vehicle

5. I am leaning toward the component system because i want to add some bass and a little more power, I have a Pioneer DEH-P4900iB reciever and don't want to add a subwoofer, are these component speakers going to give me any more noticable bass over the existing factory speakers?

6. Do I need to add an amp or is the pioneer HU enough power to make these types of speakers sound good?

--Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea how hard or easy this is so any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post pics of the install if i am able to do this.
-Blake
[/quote]

let me first say that installing component speakers is not harder than co-axials just more time consuming. Installing a diffrent tweeter is not hard/ I would glue it to the stock location; you can always pry it off later.

Please, I would recommend that you look up my old posts on upgrading the stock stereo; it will give some ideas on which way to go. I don't think comps will give you significant improvement in bass over regular coaxials even if powered by an amp. Comps just give you cleaner, clearer, louder mids and highs. They don't help at in bass response; it is really a waste of money IMHO.

If you want us to help you; please tell us the follwing:
1- what are you trying to improve: bass/ mids/ highs/ imagining/ loudness??
2- What music you listen to; and how loud?
3- Your budget?
4- any mods that are 100% no-no. Special circumstances like need trunk room so no subs, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the help!!!!
I was thinking that these components would add some bass, but it doesn't sound like it even with an added amp. I was looking to keep my budjet under 200. I think the factory speakers work very well and have good bass response with the aftermarket deck, I just wanted more without adding a sub. I was just looking to install the front door speakers to keep the budget down and i have read in another post that it is really pointless in a sense to install speakers in the rear doors when you can't really hear them that well. I am not really electrically inclined and i'm not sure if i would be able to run an amp and sub throught the car. What do you think about a powered Bazooka sub in the trunk???? Will i get enough bass response from a small bazooka tube for around 200??? thanks again

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote author=bfox57 link=topic=92030.msg1793695#msg1793695 date=1192805654]
thanks for all the help!!!!
I was thinking that these components would add some bass, but it doesn't sound like it even with an added amp. I was looking to keep my budjet under 200. I think the factory speakers work very well and have good bass response with the aftermarket deck, I just wanted more without adding a sub. I was just looking to install the front door speakers to keep the budget down and i have read in another post that it is really pointless in a sense to install speakers in the rear doors when you can't really hear them that well. I am not really electrically inclined and i'm not sure if i would be able to run an amp and sub throught the car. What do you think about a powered Bazooka sub in the trunk???? Will i get enough bass response from a small bazooka tube for around 200??? thanks again
[/quote]

running an amp to the trunk really requires professional install as it is not a very easy job and has potential to fry some things if done poorly. All you need to install amp/ sub (if you go them) is an amp kit( only 8 guage; don't buy bigger-- waste of $$) that is like $40 and go to BB or CC and ask if they install your own stuff. They will most likely say yes. AMP install is like $60-80. So to install any amp it will cost you 100-140 in parts (w/o amp/ speakers/ sub/ box) and labor. Consider if you want to do that.

I would also say away from bazooka and consider getting the infinity bass link instead. It has a 200W rms amp (wattage could be less) and sub all in one box for under 200 if you look around. That will give you great sound quality and sound great.

What are your current stereo/ 4 door speakers?? all stock? If so, have you considered upgrading all 4? with 200 bucks that may be possible and it will improve bass response and sound quality a bit. Again, I need to know your music tastes to reccomend speakers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the music i mainly listen to is rap and dave matthews. Kinda both sides of the spectrum. I originally wanted bass and i thought component speakers woud help that out for the doors being there small woofers. I'm not sure if my budget looks promising for a nice sub and amp and all of that good stuff. So it looks like i will have to check and look at the other powered sub you mentioned, or else pony up the extra cash to make it worthwhile. I'll shop around and maybe i'll find some good deals on subs/box/amp and stuff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, i have all stock speakers in all 4 doors, i'll look into that option by changing all 4 also....I read in a post that someone mentioned it's not really worth puting speakers in the rear doors, cause you really can't hear them as well, but if they were nice ones, the bass might help the overall sound for all 4 speakers

·
Registered
264 Posts
Being as how it is a lease vehicle, I would leave the factory speakers alone. You get into a big mess when You install components, especially if you have to take them out and hook your factory stuff back up.

In you scenario this is what I would do.

#1 - Different head unit, something with sub control, I like Pioneer, not the best, but damn nice and a personal preference of my own.

#2 - Disconnecting your factory rear deck speakers, and removing them (audiophile only), you won't be able to use them anyways with an aftermarket deck and if you have subs in the trunk the bass will sound muddy with the rear deck speakers in whether they are on or not.

#3 - 4 gauge amp kit, line driver, 1 farad power cap, 600 watt amp, single 12 sealed box, built to sound quality air space recommendation. I run Phoenix Gold RSD Series on my subs and amps, Phoenix Gold line driver. Knuconceptz.com is where I got my amp wires and ring terminals from. Power cap doesn't really matter, they're all pretty much made by the two same companies anyways.

MbQuart and Memphis is really nice stuff too, but bang for buck I think it's Phoenix Gold all the way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-RS...ryZ18803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-RS...ryZ64570QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote author=bfox57 link=topic=92030.msg1794299#msg1794299 date=1192817399]
yeah, i have all stock speakers in all 4 doors, i'll look into that option by changing all 4 also....I read in a post that someone mentioned it's not really worth puting speakers in the rear doors, cause you really can't hear them as well, but if they were nice ones, the bass might help the overall sound for all 4 speakers
[/quote]

replacing all 4 speakers will improve 2 things in bass response:
1- better crankability-- or speakers will handle abuse better(last longer) and sound better (at the limits) than cheap OEM speakers.
2- improve the definition of bass at moderate volumes b/c of better aftermarket speaker cones. Definition is that bass will not sound muddy and boomy at low levels. They will not necessarily be louder.

Your best bet is to highly consider getting an amp/sub combo and pay more now and worry less later.

·
Registered
359 Posts
budget around $200...
ehh i wouldnt do anything. save your money and keep everything factory. you wont get the difference you are looking for, for only $200.

spend a little bit more...
spend a little bit more and get a sub installed. personally i think its much easier to install a sub/amp myself than the components but everyone has there own advice/opinion.

problems you might get
when i installed my apline head with factory speakers it sounded like crap. horrible. i had to upgrade all my doors to get the sound i was looking for. you might get the same with installing the pioneer head. i'd keep your factory head since that is made for and matched up with your factory speakers, unlike a aftermarket head with factory speakers. it just doesnt match up well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
[quote author=sternyy link=topic=92030.msg1799605#msg1799605 date=1193075322]

problems you might get
when i installed my apline head with factory speakers it sounded like crap. horrible. i had to upgrade all my doors to get the sound i was looking for. you might get the same with installing the pioneer head. i'd keep your factory head since that is made for and matched up with your factory speakers, unlike a aftermarket head with factory speakers. it just doesnt match up well.
[/quote]

I disagree with your last statement. In my opinion a good aftermarket Hu is the only way to go to improve the sound quality. More power man! Plus, if he does do a sub/amp how is he going to blend the sound and not blow out all his comp's and coax's? You could buy a line driver and an eq to fix this problem, but that's just more wiring hassles. By the time you add up all the manual labor time and the extra dough for the eq, line driver, and line converter, you could have had a big chunk of money towards a deck. So, in my opinion an aftermarket head unit is where it's at.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote author=KaBooM link=topic=92030.msg1805684#msg1805684 date=1193246590]
[quote author=sternyy link=topic=92030.msg1799605#msg1799605 date=1193075322]

problems you might get
[/quote]

I disagree with your last statement. In my opinion a good aftermarket Hu is the only way to go to improve the sound quality. More power man! Plus, if he does do a sub/amp how is he going to blend the sound and not blow out all his comp's and coax's? You could buy a line driver and an eq to fix this problem, but that's just more wiring hassles. By the time you add up all the manual labor time and the extra dough for the eq, line driver, and line converter, you could have had a big chunk of money towards a deck. So, in my opinion an aftermarket head unit is where it's at.
[/quote]

but remember "more power man" is great ONLY if you have speakers that can handle more power. Keeping the factory speakers with an aftermarket head is a huge NO NO. The factory speakers just can't handle power an aftermarket head provides. Id be way more scared of blowing my factory speakers with an aftermarket head rather than a factory... Especially since the factory heads in the fusion have a "protect feature" that limits certain freqs at high volumes. Id say thats how 90% of people's factory speakers get blown: they install a aftermarket head with factory speakers and crank it up, and the factory speakers can't handle.

But KaBooM is also right: I agree, get an aftermarket head to improve sound quality, EQ, imaging etc, but REPLACE your factory speakers at the same time.

Speaking of adding more lows: I dont understand why people think they will get more low end from a 5 x 7 or 6 x 9 speaker. it may add a bit, but ultimately that is what a sub is for. Everyone gets scared when they hear sub because they think of "that car" that is at the stop light next to them vibrating everyone else at the stop light... thats overkill. Thats not an audiophille setup. The best setup: Each frequency range is met to split up by different speakers, woofers and tweeters. Mid-range speakers for your mids, tweeters for your highs and woofers for your lows. Coaxs share the mid-range and tweeters which is OK. Components split the mid-range and tweeters which is great. Components with a sub(woofer) seperate all 3 which is the ultimate.

Based on your budget:

Adding the aftermarket head (pioneer i think you said) wont solve anything and could potentially damage your setup with factory speakers.

Adding the pioneer deck with a sub will add lows but still you could damage your factory speakers.

Adding the pioneer deck with new components will add a little more lows than factory, but may not be enough for your liking.

Keeping everything factory and adding a sub will add your lows, but you lose a bit of "crankability". I had this setup for a while until i upgraded my head and speakers. I never feared blowing anything because i still listened to my music at the same level i was before the sub. My factory speakers never distorted before OR after. But if your planning on cranking it, you can't.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Honestly if thats your budget and you are looking for a little more boom, I think the bazooka tube is pretty good. I had one a couple years ago. It made a noticeable difference and was easy to install. I had it for about 4 years and it worked great. It included everything; sub, box, wiring, amp.

Any headunit will also give you cleaner and louder sound as well. If you can afford both I would recommend it.

New Head Unit = Cleaner, louder music that sounds better
Sub & Amp = More boom

When my budget got bigger I upgraded. Which was a huge difference. I've now got a sweet amp, Kicker solobaric sub, new comp speakers, and I rewired my entire car. But my budge this time was $2000 excluding the head unit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts