FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ford wants the competition to be Accord and Camry, but this is certaintly not the first time they or other American car makers have had that aspiration. I think that until it develops a good reputation, the Fusion will be shopped among "lower-tier" mid-sized cars such as Malibu, Stratus, and Sonata.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Will Ford be replacing any current model with the Fusion line? Seems like the 5 hundred is replacing the Taurus, while the Fusion would be in the line of the Contour? I've been wondering what Ford has been up to since they cancelled the Contour / Mystique.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I definately think that Ford has Mazda 6's in sight, but I think the 2007 Camry will also be a competitor. If you look at what Toyota did with the Avalon, I think that you can expect some "sportiness" and "luxury" with the new Camry. I have hear very good things about the Avalon from an "enthusiast" point of view.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=MParrott link=topic=23658.msg436189#msg436189 date=1128913310]
the "basically" is kind important though right :D My understanding is that is has a couple inches in length and width on the 6 (which is a good car too).
[/quote]

Yes, it does. Length at least... I'm too lazy to look up width right now, but I assume those are pretty similar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ford wants to be compared to the Accord and Camry, but I really can't see many Toyota/Honda owners looking at a Ford. If you're looking at a Ford you probably are buying domestic, and looking at a "japanese" car you more than likely won't even consider a domestic. Just the way things are, the "big 3" have alienated to many of their former customers.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Hate to say it but it's true. I have friends and family that turned away from domestics from getting bad deals or just bad cars for to many years. But this might be a turn around for for in the car industry. I think FORD's pricing of this car is very nice. Lets hope the quality is just as good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think Ford can attract Camry and Accord owners for all the reasons stated.  The ONLY reason I am considering a Fusion is for awd.  Otherwise, I have to go a (Ford) Volvo S40.  I rejected the Subaru Legacy GT because the back seat doesn't fold down.  If the Lexus IS 250 awd is priced near the Volvo, then I'll have a new dilemma.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, if Ford can't attract Accord & Camry owners, it might as well close up shop now. You need to be able to attract competitors buyers, or you're doomed to continuously shrinking market share.

Those accord & camry buyers were not always accord & camry buyers. They came from somewhere else too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't think they'll be stealing too many Accord/Camry buyers this year. Those cars are too well established. I see the Fusion being successful as a second-tier midsize and taking a lot of sales from the Altima and Sonata. The Fusion has a strong appeal to sport-minded and value-minded buyers, those are the two areas where the Accord and Camry are weakest. It has enough style and finesse to avoid the instant rental car syndrome too. Only with a few years of good reliability behind it will it be ready to take on the top two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think Fords biggest competitors will be the domestics such as the Malibu, Pontiac G6, Dodge Stratus but I do think they will steal some import sales as well after people find out how well built this car is. The recent reviews by Car and Driver and Motor Trend have been really good for the Ford, they state that the Ford is more fun to drive and that it is at a higher quality level then previous Ford cars.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't know for sure what Ford is planning, but I can say this. When I was shopping, I was looking at the following cars and the Ford won...

Civic
Mazda 6 & 3
Toyota Corrola
Infinity G35 coupe (too expensive, but damn what a car!)
VW Jetta

I did not look at any other american car as I do not find any of them to be inspiring design-wise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.