FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any issues with their clutch...??

Mine's been acting up a little the last few weeks; and I only have 23,000+ miles on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically, I noticed that I have to let it out more and more before it starts to grab, each week.

I've been driving 5-spds for 10+ years and have never had a clutch react this poorly this soon.
I don't try to do any burnouts or anything crazy. It's mostly just a daily driver. I just made my 16th payment.

I had my buddy who has a V6 fusion test drive mine last week. I didn't tell him anything about the clutch. I just asked him to drive it and tell me if anything seem funny. We didn't get 1/4 mile away and that was his response too. That he had to let it out really far. He drove it last year before it hit 10,000 mile and his comment last week; was that there was a significant difference since then.

I want to take it to the dealership, but they will just say that it is due to wear-tear or driver neglect.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Some people have been complaining about the clutch wear.

I suggest you go after an aftermarket clutch upgrade. Thats what I plan on doing, and I also have been driving stick for 10+ years, and I know it will happen earlier on this trans than many 5spds. Its a good tranny, and I have had this trans in other cars, but for some reason, the clutch is weaker in our car.

Exeddy stage 1 or Clutchmasters stage 1 is what I'm looking at. Big upgrade over a stock clutch in all aspects. Dual it with some premium synthetic lube, like MTL-90 from redline, and this tranny is pretty solid for a long time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I haven't noticed any long-term clutch issues, as I just got the car in July with 14,000 miles on it. How much would said aftermarket clutch upgrade cost? I'd like to put a shortshifter in there in addition.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi VD,

Sorry to hear about the clutch issue. The next time you take it to the dealer, ask the mechanic (not the service person at the counter) to adjust the clutch for you because it is too high. If he can't adjust it, then unfortunately that is just how the clutch has worn.

Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
well what kind of driver are you?
Do you .....
(A) drive like a maniac?
(B) drive like a idiot and burn rubber every chance you get?
(C) drive like a nut?
(D) all the above.....

Your answer was..... D
haha! :lol: just kidding JR is coming to my house tomorrow, i will ask him what he thinks.... talk to you later buddy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All,

I was wondering if anybody had any input as to which clutch might be a better choice:
Clutchmasters Stage 1 or the Exedy Stage 1 or the ACT Stage 1??

Here is what I have found so far...

Clutchmasters Stage 1: Part# 10-058-HD00 [MSRP: $450.00] Price: $385.00 - $405.00
Mfrg Notes: Moderate Abuse, Moderate Power

Product Description: The FX100 System uses the Power Plus I Pressure Plate with the Steel Back organic disc. This clutch is engineered for heavy-duty street use. It is specifically designed for extended wear and additional clamping force for the enthusiast who has added an exhaust system, an intake system, up to 50hp NO2 upgrade, or other non-forced induction external bolt-ons. As with most Clutch Masters clutches, the FX100 incorporates the Hi-Leverage pressure plate design and the steel back disc. It features only slightly increased pedal pressure (over stock components), longer life than stock, and normal clutch feel during engagement and disengagement for a very smooth operation.

Features:
-High performance street system
-Holding capacity 70% over stock
-Heavy-Duty reinforced pressure plate
-Hi-Leverage pressure ring design
-Sprung hub/cushioned disc
-Steel backed organic friction material

Includes:
Pressure Plate
Clutch Disc
Throw-out Bearing (when applicable)
Pilot Bearing or Bushing (when applicable)
Alignment Tool

Source: http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/?page=shop%2Fflypage&MakeID=81&FromYear=2003&MakeModelID=33022&AppID=5642
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Exedy Stage 1: Part# 10807 [MSRP: N/A] Price Range: $349.00 - $390.00

Product Description: Exedy Single Plate Organic Clutch Kit. EXEDY Racing clutches with organic friction materials use only premium friction materials that are resistant to slippage and burst. Increased clamp loads give the necessary capacity to handle modified engines. Torque Capacity Increase is 37%.

The drivability will be like a stock clutch. Pedal efforts will be higher because of the higher clamp loads. All of Exedy clutch discs have high capacity spring center dampers to reduce the drive train shock and impact.

EXEDY organic racing clutches only use premium friction materials that are resistant to slippage and burst. Increased clamp loads give the necessary capacity to handle modified engines. This is the preferred clutch for street and light horsepower track use. Driveability is similar to the stock clutch. Pedal efforts will be slightly higher because of the higher clamp loads. All of our clutch discs have spring center dampers to reduce drivetrain shock.

Torque Capacity: Approx. 320
Clamp Load (lbs): 1545
Disc Outer Diameter: 225
Spline Teeth / Majoy Diameter: 22T / 24.3

Source: http://www.exedyusa.com/race/10807

ACT Stage 1: Part# ZM6-HDMM [MSRP: $380.00] Price: $289.95 - $350.00

HD= Heavy Duty Pressure Plate
Clamps load increase of 20% to 50%, Pedal feels stock to moderate, Many SFI Certified to insure safety
MM= Modified Disc
Recommended for Street or occasional Race, Quicker engagement, Quiet operation, Improved friction material and/or hub strength

Torque Capacity: 376 ft/lbs
Clamp Load Increase: 40%
Pressure Plate: MZ-023

Source: http://www.advancedclutch.com/products/clutchkits.aspx?prod_id=2839#2839

·
Registered
613 Posts
What I gather in the past 11 years of experience with Mazda g*m trannies, as well as the amount of reading up I have done;
If you ride your clutch more than average. Exedy Stage1 is more to your liking.
If you have perfect sync, then a Exedy Stage 2 is the most durable street use clutch you will find.
If you like the stock feel, but want added strength, then The CM Stage1 kit is a prime upgrade.
If you ride your clutch a lot and want aftermarket grip, the HD/SS ACTs have saved a lot of slow peddlers.

But the best performing from what works and is easily purchasable IMHO will be the Exedy stage2.

Centerforce is another key brand that makes a flywheel application that *should work* for us. I haven't had the best luck with their flywheels, but as slater said, highly recommended clutch kits.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I recently took my friends G-tech pro out of his car and put it in the Fusion. After several runs playing around, I noticed some clutch slippage running through 1-2 and 2-3 gears way up in the rev range. Must be the new 93 tune making MASSIVE power blowing the stock clutch away!! (I wish) Guess I should take it easy on the poor Fusion!

:lol:

·
Registered
613 Posts
It means that the clutch isnt grabbing, and the engine is revving freely until the clutch engages(if it ever does engage.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine isn't slipping yet, it just engages a lot later now than it did a year ago.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah, I guess I have the same problem with 2nd gear. If I'm racing the engine off the line, there have been a few occasions when it never pops into 2nd even though I throw it there. I thought it was just me, but I guess not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts