FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody notice clunking front brake calipers? Specifically, a light clunk when the brakes are first applied after shifting from reverse to forward? I am assuming that it's just the caliper shifting, but I was wondering if this is an issue or there's anything unusal about the caliper mounting? Car has about 20k miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had this same condition. Service tech said it was the pad moving inside the caliper, all mechanics of the system were in spec. Brakes perform fine, no pulsating or vibration. Said they are designed with some play to allow for corrosion and heat expansion. Had no explanation for why some do and some don't. Inconsistent quality. Not much of a testament for "Quality is Job 1". Put some pad lube on backs of pads and now only clonks every other time instead of every. What-cha gonna do?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=SamSnyder link=topic=80680.msg1492769#msg1492769 date=1182023608]
Anybody notice clunking front brake calipers? Specifically, a light clunk when the brakes are first applied after shifting from reverse to forward? I am assuming that it's just the caliper shifting, but I was wondering if this is an issue or there's anything unusal about the caliper mounting? Car has about 20k miles.
[/quote]

Has it been raining there or alot of dew on the ground. I know my rotors rust over night when it rains and when i let off of the parking brake and roll back or forth in the morning it clunks but then nothing after that. Has done it since new.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
[quote author=stewsco link=topic=80680.msg1826399#msg1826399 date=1193972552]
Had this same condition. Service tech said it was the pad moving inside the caliper, all mechanics of the system were in spec. Brakes perform fine, no pulsating or vibration. Said they are designed with some play to allow for corrosion and heat expansion. Had no explanation for why some do and some don't. Inconsistent quality. Not much of a testament for "Quality is Job 1". Put some pad lube on backs of pads and now only clonks every other time instead of every. What-cha gonna do?
[/quote] Built Ford tough...using mazda stuff.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I also have that clunk or popping sound when i go on reverse when i press on the breaks.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yep, I get it too - one clunk in the morning and sometimes one clunk after work.
Aside from that the breaks work fine though I'm itching to try some front brake pads that have a better initial bite/modulation. I might give the Raybestos "Quiet Stop" a try. I've read way to negative posts about EBC Greenstuff (even though EBC makes great motorcycle pads) and I'm tired of waiting for Hawk to make pads for the Fusion.

·
Registered
910 Posts
No clunk but I do notice rusting usually after rain or snow and lots of screeching when braking I intend to have them looked at when I take the car in for its next service (#2)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts