FordFusionClub.com banner

Do you have a loud clunk/rattle going over bumps, coming from the passenger side of your car? If so,

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so here is the deal. There have been a number of people, including dino1426 and myself, that have a noise coming (clunk/rattle) from the passenger side of the car. It sounds like it is coming from the back, but is most likely from the front (suspension?). It happens when going over speed bumps and bumps in the road, not necessarily pot holes though. Sounds like a hollow clunking noise (ball in a wooden box or tennis ball in a tube). We are trying to get some force in numbers to call Ford/Mercury all at once to complain. Also, to see if it is prevalent in the same vehicle, take the poll. So far dino & myself both have I4 auto’s, but 2007 & 2006. If you have this problem, chime in and take the poll and at some point in the next couple weeks we’ll call and start what I hope will be the stampede to get this corrected. The dealers do not want to spend enough time to track it down so we need Ford to step up to the plate. Let’s go

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well you about summed it up thats exactly the same problem I have and seems like no TSB or any type of fix on it yet but what we are trying to do is see if we can get enough ford fusion customers to complain about this specific noise to see about a possible fix because this is truly unacceptable and we can do something about it if we all contribute and do our homework by contacting Ford explaining your problem thoroughly and do not accept asnwers like "its a normal trait of the car" so please guys lets form a coalition and lets make this happen.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My squeaky sound was fixed, they tighten all the bolts, lubricated all the known possible parts that could squeak over time and move some parts into place in my suspension. They even replaced the sub-fram last week. Now the only thing thats left is the popping noise on the breaks when backing up, but maybe when I change my breaks that noise will stop.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You guys should print out this TSB: http://tsb.pc-tweaks.com/TSB%2006-24-07%20(Front%20Suspension%20Noise).pdf
Take the TSB copy to the dealer and tell them that you think this might be causing the noise on the front suspension. They have to replace the sub-frame.

·
Registered
104 Posts
but our problems arent squeak or creaks ots more like clunks (like sumthing hitting the frame), though im glad your problems got fixed.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, supposedly my dealer checked that TSB. The sound is, like dino said a clunking sound. I had a Honda that had a similar noise. It that case it was a loose left side mirror (not this time). But it definately sounds like something loose or bouncing somewhere, not a squeak or creaky sound.

·
Registered
104 Posts
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=94414.msg1857314#msg1857314 date=1195156826]
Yea, supposedly my dealer checked that TSB. The sound is, like dino said a clunking sound. I had a Honda that had a similar noise. It that case it was a loose left side mirror (not this time). But it definately sounds like something loose or bouncing somewhere, not a squeak or creaky sound.
[/quote]
by the way eiching i havent brought the car in because im having a problem getting a loaner or sum kind of rental they will not provide me with anything ( this is coming from a Ford Rep thats trying to help me out) apparently she told me i can rent a vehicle and Ford will see about "POSSIBLE" reinmursemtn wtf. so im gunna complain more that i should be making my monthly payment then because I wont be using the car and im not goin to pay a lease and a rental car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
huh, well in that case I have no clue. I don't have that problem yet, but you never know with this cars.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=dino1426 link=topic=94414.msg1857326#msg1857326 date=1195157278]
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=94414.msg1857314#msg1857314 date=1195156826]
[/quote]
by the way eiching i havent brought the car in because im having a problem getting a loaner or sum kind of rental they will not provide me with anything ( this is coming from a Ford Rep thats trying to help me out) apparently she told me i can rent a vehicle and Ford will see about "POSSIBLE" reinmursemtn wtf. so im gunna complain more that i should be making my monthly payment then because I wont be using the car and im not goin to pay a lease and a rental car.
[/quote]

Tell them you'll make a deal. They fix the problem and you'll pay for a rental. They don't fix it and they pay. I know I would be happy to go with this arrangement. Can you give me the Reps. name. This way when I call I can mention it to the Mercury reps. PM me witht that and your name and where you live. Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
:( :x I to have the same exact symptoms with my 06 i-4.They said it's the suspension unbinding!!!!so it is'nt a concern :xI had 2 different people in ths service dept. say the same thing.I do not buy it!!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=theump link=topic=94414.msg1857676#msg1857676 date=1195165206]
:( :x I to have the same exact symptoms with my 06 i-4.They said it's the suspension unbinding!!!!so it is'nt a concern :xI had 2 different people in ths service dept. say the same thing.I do not buy it!!!
[/quote]

It may not be a concern, but for my $20,000 I don't want the extra noise and since not all Fusion/Milans have it. It's annoying, It should be fixed!

·
Registered
840 Posts
honestly i had the same exact issue. and it was my passenger side sun visor (loose and tapping the holding clip)

It sounded like my suspension, but i drove in the passanger side on a bumpy road and listend untill i found it.

also, tighten the top bolts on your strut mount. that fixed an issue had previously.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Do the I-4's have the same air horn going to the airbox from the inner left fender that the V6's have ? I know mine isn't on very tight, I could see that coming loose and rattling around. It's hard to say, there's so much stuff that it could be. I don't know, do these cars have isolators on the shifter to deaden some of the noise coming up through the trans. I've seen those worn out on trucks that come in with a noise and the driver is sure the trans. is shot, turns out it's mud caked in the rear duals causing them to be un-balanced and sending noise all the way up the driveline to the shift tower.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hello,

I just read a fix someone did regarding a clunk from the passenger side. He/she did a mod to the coolant bottle. www.fordfusion.net I have copied and pasted below. Hope it helps!

The issue is related to a fixed, captive mount molded onto the Coolant Reservoir, which loosely engages the passenger-side fender-well. Due to the fluid volume and mass associated with this in combination with the loose mounting scheme, it would jostle and when hitting the perfect bump, there would be the annoying and elusive clunk.

How did I fix this? - The Coolant Reservoir has two mounting fasteners. There is roughly 1/4 diametric clearance around the fasteners and the plastic potion of the Reservoir. To take up all slack, (with fasteners removed) I actually slightly bent the front mounting bracket down about 1/8" to force the Coolant Reservoir into a slightly lower position forcing the guide on the fender well to bind a little. The next thing, which is likely more important - I pulled the reservoir as far to the passenger side as possible while tightening both fasteners.

The clunk sound no longer exists!!!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Good find, hopefully that'll help alot of the people having this problem so they can go back to enjoying their cars instead of worrying about them every time they hit a bump. :cheers:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately, I tried that and for me it was no luck. Hopefully it will help some others though. I spoke to the service manager at my dealership and informed him that I was contacting Mercury to see if I can get some help in that respect. Love tha car....hate the clunk.

·
Registered
104 Posts
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=94414.msg1883846#msg1883846 date=1196299230]
Unfortunately, I tried that and for me it was no luck. Hopefully it will help some others though. I spoke to the service manager at my dealership and informed him that I was contacting Mercury to see if I can get some help in that respect. Love tha car....hate the clunk.
[/quote]

man 2day it was horrible with that damn clunk and rattles my whole dash kept rattling all day and i think even the roof like where the sunroof is rattling.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=dino1426 link=topic=94414.msg1884568#msg1884568 date=1196318731]
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=94414.msg1883846#msg1883846 date=1196299230]
[/quote]

man 2day it was horrible with that damn clunk and rattles my whole dash kept rattling all day and i think even the roof like where the sunroof is rattling.
[/quote]

Hi dino1426. :wavey: If you don't mind me asking, what psi do you keep your tires inflated to? When is the last time you checked them, and do you use a good quality tire pressure gauge to check them?

Please let us know. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts