FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2006 V6 SEL. When the temp. drops at night and I leave the defroster turned on high for when I start the car in the morning (using an auto start remote) I get in the car when it has warmed up to find the windshield still iced up. The defroster has for some reason reset to off. Anyone out there have this problem before. If so what was the fix? I do not want to take it in for service and have them blame the remote. The cars climate control works perfect in the summer and when it is cool out, but when cold and snowy it packs it in. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or answers.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=Freddy link=topic=96330.msg1895323#msg1895323 date=1196734559]
I drive a 2006 V6 SEL. When the temp. drops at night and I leave the defroster turned on high for when I start the car in the morning (using an auto start remote) I get in the car when it has warmed up to find the windshield still iced up. The defroster has for some reason reset to off. Anyone out there have this problem before. If so what was the fix? I do not want to take it in for service and have them blame the remote. The cars climate control works perfect in the summer and when it is cool out, but when cold and snowy it packs it in. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or answers.
[/quote]

Hi Freddy. :wavey: I'm not sure, but I think I may know what the problem is. Are you trying to leave the Defroster on by pushing the button for the front defroster, listed as #1 in the Automatic Climate Control Diagram on page 29 in your Owners Manual?

I am describing the button which is above the rear window defroster button, and just to the left of the fan speed buttons.

If that is the case, I think the problem may be that the front windshield defroster button, along with the rear defroster button, resets when the ignition is turned off.

I believe that you need to set the front defroster at night by using the manual control buttons on the EATC system. Try pressing the button which is listed as #7 in your Owners Manual. It is the fourth from the left of the bottom six buttons, with the "defroster" and footwell duct pictograms.

If you have the heated seats, the button positions are slightly different, and it is the fifth from the left of the six bottom buttons, and listed in your Owners Manual as button #5 on page 31.

Let us know if this works.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Hello again Freddy. :wavey: Well, it looks like my above advice may not be the answer.

I tried it today on my MKZ, and the Front Windshield Defroster button did not reset (turn off) when I turned off the ignition. I stated above that I thought it automatically turned off when the ignition was turned off, so to try using the manual settings.

On my car, the front defroster would also stay on at restart if the manual controls were left in the on position before ignition shut off. Again, this is done with the manual control buttons at the bottom of the EATC unit.

Did you try your system to see if the defroster would stay on using the manual settings? Perhaps the Fusion EATC unit control features are slightly different than the MKZ?

Also, have you tried going to your local Dealer and checking to see how the climate controls work in a Fusion with the same Climate Control unit as your car? I realize there is the chance that settings behavior was modified between 2006 and 2008, but it is unlikely.

Again, let us know if the manual setting works.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. My defroster does not reset when the ignition is turned off. As stated this only happens when it is colder than -10 C (roughly 9 degrees F...for my American friends). ALL other times it works perfectly. Maybe I'll try auto and have the temp. raised to the highest????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts