FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Fusion for about 5 months, its an 07 that I bought new.
I wash her at least once a week and Wax with Meguires NXT wax once every two months.
Even though my car is still brand new could it use a good Clay baring, or paint cleaner, polish and wax?
Or is my paint still new enough to not need a total recondition yet?

Any help would be awsome, thanks
Ryan 8)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I think you should wax your car regularly to protect the paint against the elements. The clay bar, from what I understand, it is only needed if you can run the palm of your hand over your car and feel roughness on your paint.

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
[quote author=Tweek link=topic=94655.msg1853202#msg1853202 date=1195023745]
I wash her at least once a week and Wax with Meguires NXT wax once every two months.
Even though my car is still brand new could it use a good Clay baring, or paint cleaner, polish and wax?

Ryan 8)
[/quote]

Hi Tweek. :wavey: In general, what Ceace stated is correct. You normally should not need to clay bar your car after 5 months.

If after you wash and wax, your cars finish feels "as smooth as glass" when you run your fingertips over it, you probably do not need to use a clay bar yet. If after you wash and wax you can feel any remaining contaminants, you may need to polish or clay bar.

Since you are looking to learn about detailing your car, I would recommend you go to these websites and read up:

www.meguiars.com

www.paintcare-n-detailing.com

www.autopia-carcare.com

Read the "How-To" and "Detailing" sections. The answers to just about anything you need to know or have questions about will be on those sites.

You will also find that using a clay bar too often or improperly can be damaging to your cars paint finish, something that some people do not often realize.

In fact, here is a direct quote from the "Autopia" site: "The problem we were beginning to see is that many car enthusiasts wanted to clay their vehicles frequently; as often as monthly. At this rate of use, some consumer grade detailing clay can begin to dull clear coat finishes. After all, it is an abrasive!"

So check out those sites for some expert information.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=94655.msg1854297#msg1854297 date=1195072271]
[quote author=Tweek link=topic=94655.msg1853202#msg1853202 date=1195023745]

Ryan 8)
[/quote]

Hi Tweek. :wavey: In general, what Ceace stated is correct. You normally should not need to clay bar your car after 5 months.

If after you wash and wax, your cars finish feels "as smooth as glass" when you run your fingertips over it, you probably do not need to use a clay bar yet. If after you wash and wax you can feel any remaining contaminants, you may need to polish or clay bar.

Since you are looking to learn about detailing your car, I would recommend you go to these websites and read up:

www.meguiars.com

www.paintcare-n-detailing.com

www.autopia-carcare.com

Read the "How-To" and "Detailing" sections. The answers to just about anything you need to know or have questions about will be on those sites.

You will also find that using a clay bar too often or improperly can be damaging to your cars paint finish, something that some people do not often realize.

In fact, here is a direct quote from the "Autopia" site: "The problem we were beginning to see is that many car enthusiasts wanted to clay their vehicles frequently; as often as monthly. At this rate of use, some consumer grade detailing clay can begin to dull clear coat finishes. After all, it is an abrasive!"

So check out those sites for some expert information.

Good luck! :cheers:
[/quote]
Polish all you want but keep the abrasives away unless its needed. There are many great polishes that will add moisture and depth to the clearcoat without using abrasives. Most folks around here use Meguires. I use 3M which is moderately expensive but great imo. I think some folks are using "Zaino" I think thats what its called. I hear it is also great from those that use it. Polishing won't hurt one--waxing won't either unless you get a wax build-up, that will dull the clear a bit but stay away from the polishes and system (claybar) that have abrasives in them unless needed.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Claying removes surface contaminants that come as a result of environmental fallout. I think you'd be surprised to find a lot of cars will accumulate this fallout regardless of the age of the car. I don't know when your car was produced, but it's likely it may have sat on the lot for a couple months before you purchased it. The dealers don't protect the paint other than washing the vehicle and fallout from the elements happens.

Clay Magic makes a MILD clay bar kit that you can get for 11. at Auto Zone. I would definitely recommend the full monty on your car even though it's five months old. Clay comes in different grades...I recommend the Clay Magic kit. Wash your car, then follow the directions on how to use the clay bar kit...this should take 30 minutes. After that, I wash again and then protect my paint with a high quality wax and polish and clear seal. I use Zaino products. This technique, with washing and using a polymer detailer and Aqua Wax in between waxes, extends my wax interval to twice a year. My car still beads water like the day I first waxed it and the shine is still tremendous. It's UV protected and looks great.

Also, here's a tip...after you clay the car, use the wax to clay the windows. Wax will not remove these contaminants and fallout, only the clay bar will. You'll see and feel the difference when you're done. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Like most have said, over claying can be detrimental, but a clay schedule of once every 8-10 months is fine. Your car is five months old and who knows how long it was on the lot...that's only how long you've owned it. You would be fine with using the mild clay bar on this car.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
[quote author=mrc link=topic=94655.msg1854686#msg1854686 date=1195080146]
Like most have said, over claying can be detrimental, but a clay schedule of once every 8-10 months is fine. Your car is five months old and who knows how long it was on the lot...that's only how long you've owned it. You would be fine with using the mild clay bar on this car.
[/quote]
To be honest, that was the first thing I did when I brought mine home. Clayed bar and polished w/rotary buffer--hand polish and wax. Mine is approaching 2 yrs. old (9k miles) and since its always garaged I've never had to clay it again only wax. It will in fact have a lot to do with YOUR environment. If the car is outside near trees, do ya live near a factory or work at one where chemicals can get on the paint--things like that. Use good judgment, as bbf said--you can tell just by feeling of the paint.

·
Registered
331 Posts
For the best possible surface finish , you should clay every 6 months or year depending if what kinds of contaminations you have where you live and use a dedicated cleaner like Meg's DC Paint Cleaner (if you like Meg's brand) every 6 months prior to using NXT to insure a clean surface. NXT does have mild cleaners but not that strong.

On my new car, the clay did not improve the slickness as much as a paint cleaner (Mothers Pre-Wax cleaner in my case). The paint cleaner insured whatever was applied before was removed before I applied the new wax.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It is good thing to do when you get a new car. It helps removing the rail dust from the paint. The hot sparks from the rail cars . It in beds it in the paint. Run your hand over your car and you will feal them in the paint.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Perhaps you can answer this question. Do certain waxes bring out red paint better than others and if so which ones? I got a 08 redfire Fusion SEL.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I just clay bared my car for the first time a few weeks ago. I didn't think I needed it, but I had heard good things about it.

All I can say is WOW. You don't realize how clean your car can look until you clay bar it. The colors POP and look deep and rich. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
232 Posts
[quote author=larryinfl link=topic=94655.msg2254127#msg2254127 date=1208894801]
I just clay bared my car for the first time a few weeks ago. I didn't think I needed it, but I had heard good things about it.

All I can say is WOW. You don't realize how clean your car can look until you clay bar it. The colors POP and look deep and rich. Highly recommended!
[/quote]

+1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.