FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 SEL V6(CAI, SCT tune, Magnaflow catback) consistently produces a muted but discernible clatter during throttle tip-in and release. This clatter- detonation?- does not occur during steady throttle application or even when ascending a hill or other times of increased engine load. I use 93 octane rated gas although the SCT tune requires only 91 octane. Would a custom tune clear this problem? Should I learn to grit my teeth and bear it?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Without being there to poke around, my best guess as to what is wrong is one of your two mods: CAI or exhaust. Detonation can be inaudible when it occurs, and the fact you use a higher-octane than the tune needs gives you extra room for the tune. The tune shouldn't be a problem.
My best guess would be your CAI. When you tip-in the throttle, the engine rocks in it's cradle as a result of the sudden torque output. Constant driving will not rock the engine as much as the initial tip-in, unless you are going slow and suddenly drop two gears and floor-it. The new CAI may have a stiff charge-pipe that rattles against <something> when the engine moves. Look for rubbing or wear marks on the CAI to see if there is a problem. If not, the exhaust, being larger, may rub against some heat shielding underneath the car when the engine rocks (I had a similar problem on my Ford Focus). Look for wear/rubbing on the exhaust, particularly on the sides or the top, near the bends and the mounts. Also, make sure your new exhaust joints are *tight* and there are no gaps where the pipes are bolted together (Exhaust systems use metal gaskets to seal the joints, which can "buzz" like a kazoo at the right resonant frequency if the bolts are loose).

Good hunting.

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
[quote author=fusion66 link=topic=77452.msg1408350#msg1408350 date=1179155200]
My 2006 SEL V6(CAI, SCT tune, Magnaflow catback) consistently produces a muted but discernible clatter during throttle tip-in and release. This clatter- detonation?- does not occur during steady throttle application or even when ascending a hill or other times of increased engine load. I use 93 octane rated gas although the SCT tune requires only 91 octane. Would a custom tune clear this problem? Should I learn to grit my teeth and bear it?
[/quote]

Hi fusion66. :D Well, it certainly sounds as though it might be detonation, but it is always hard to diagnose without actually being able to hear it. Detonation can/will do damage to your engine, so gritting your teeth and bearing it is the last thing you should do.

Here are a few questons you should answer to try and find what is causing it, if it is indeed engine detonation:

1 - Have you checked for other causes (loose catalytic converter or exhaust shields, etc.)"
2 - Did it begin shortly after any particular modification?
3 - How sure are you of the quality of gasoline where you are buying?
4 - Are you buying cheaper, off brand gasoline?
5 - Have you tried switching brands to see if the "clatter" persists?
6 - If you return your car to the stock tune, do you still have the "clatter"?
7 - Is your car in need of a tuneup (mileage, usage, etc.)?

I do not have a custom tune on my car, so am not an expert on the tunes. Perhaps you should check for recommendations from the provider of your tune? Or possibly other forum members with tunes have experienced similar problems, and will weigh in shortly.

I would start off by checking for loose engine, exhaust, chassis components. If you can find no cause there, I would return the car to the stock tune, fill the tank with a name brand 87 octane gasoline, and see if the "clatter" continues. If there is no clatter on the stock tune, with quality 87 octane, you have possibly narrowed the problem down to a gasoline quality or tune problem.

If it persists after returning to the stock tune and changing over to another, name brand supplier of gasoline, I would take it to the Dealer (while on the stock tune) and have them check for other engine problems. I am assuming you are still covered under the factory warranty?

Whatever you do, just don't "grin and bear it". It can be damaging.

Good luck, and I hope you find the problem quickly and easily.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Check and see if your cold intake housing is properly seated in the grommet. Sounds dumb, but mine did that right after install. Hard to say without hearing the noise you're experiencing. Good luck !

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Bamachips tune is producing the pre-ignition. Although Bob recently "tweaked" the program the clatter persists. For my part I retarded the timing by 2 degrees up to 4000 rpms. If this proves ineffective what options remain? Can anyone provide an explanation for this occurence?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.