FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darn light finally stayed on this time! Last time I just cleaned the gas cap not a cap thingy and it went off after a few miles, but this time I had it checked by a shop that told me it was an emissions-related issue. 46,000 miles. Anyone have any ideas so I may be able to repair this myself?
Dhutch16

·
Super Moderator
5,718 Posts
Darn light finally stayed on this time! Last time I just cleaned the gas cap not a cap thingy and it went off after a few miles, but this time I had it checked by a shop that told me it was an emissions-related issue. 46,000 miles. Anyone have any ideas so I may be able to repair this myself?
Dhutch16
Hi Dhutch. When the shop pulled the Check Engine light, they should have told you what the code was. What was the code? Not much of any value can be determined without knowing the code.

Add to that the unfortunate fact that participation here on the Ford Fusion Club has dropped off dramatically in the last couple of years, as can be seen by the scarcity of recent posts, and it is doubtful you will get a reply. Not impossible, I guess, but highly doubtful.

You may have better luck posting your question (with the DTC code) here: Ford Fusion Forum

It is a more active Fusion forum.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dhutch. When the shop pulled the Check Engine light, they should have told you what the code was. What was the code? Not much of any value can be determined without knowing the code.

Add to that the unfortunate fact that participation here on the Ford Fusion Club has dropped off dramatically in the last couple of years, as can be seen by the scarcity of recent posts, and it is doubtful you will get a reply. Not impossible, I guess, but highly doubtful.

You may have better luck posting your question (with the DTC code) here: Ford Fusion Forum

It is a more active Fusion forum.

Good luck.
Thanks, but since it was a freebie, all they told me was that it was emissions related. Darn! I guess I'll have to try another shop! I will go to the other forum, though, and thanks again for the answer.

·
Super Moderator
5,718 Posts
Thanks, but since it was a freebie, all they told me was that it was emissions related. Darn! I guess I'll have to try another shop! I will go to the other forum, though, and thanks again for the answer.
Hi Dhutch. By the way...a defective/dirty fuel filler cap or the capless flap will cause an "emissions related" DTC. Do you have the traditional gas cap or the capless system? The description in your first post was a bit confusing.

If you have a cap, try cleaning it again. If you have the capless system, follow the instructions in your Owners Manual, quickly inserting and removing the fuel funnel that was provided with the car, about 10 times, to clear any obstructions.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dhutch. By the way...a defective/dirty fuel filler cap or the capless flap will cause an "emissions related" DTC. Do you have the traditional gas cap or the capless system? The description in your first post was a bit confusing.

If you have a cap, try cleaning it again. If you have the capless system, follow the instructions in your Owners Manual, quickly inserting and removing the fuel funnel that was provided with the car, about 10 times, to clear any obstructions.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
Thanks, it's capless; what fuel funnel? I bought it used. Darn! Foiled again!

·
Super Moderator
5,718 Posts
Thanks, it's capless; what fuel funnel? I bought it used. Darn! Foiled again!
HI Dhutch. Small plastic funnel. Mine is white. Check where your jack is stored, in the spare tire well etc. Should probably be somewhere in the trunk area of your car. Also check your Owners Manual to see where the funnel may be stored in a Fusion (I have a Lincoln MKZ).

If you do not have your Owners Manual hard copy, you can download the PDF version here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts