FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently ran into a problem the last few weeks. I decided to change my spark plugs on my Ford Fusion Titanium ( 2016 w/ 2.0 eco) and once installed I got the CEL. After installing the plugs it took about 50 miles before the light came on. After going back home I scanned and got P0420 code.

I thought the spark plugs were bad so I put auto light set in and they came pre gapped. One the new plugs were in, and all connections secure I deleted the code. I drove for another 120 miles then the CEL came back on with the same code. Prior to the plug change I had no problems. Could it be a sensor or possibly a bad catalytic converter? I originally thought it was the first set of plugs as I gapped them to .40, so this worried me that it was not burning enough fuel and plugged up exhaust with to much carbon. I also noticed a difference in responsiveness when excellerating. Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
5,755 Posts
Hello, I recently ran into a problem the last few weeks. I decided to change my spark plugs on my Ford Fusion Titanium ( 2016 w/ 2.0 eco) and once installed I got the CEL. After installing the plugs it took about 50 miles before the light came on. After going back home I scanned and got P0420 code.

I thought the spark plugs were bad so I put auto light set in and they came pre gapped. One the new plugs were in, and all connections secure I deleted the code. I drove for another 120 miles then the CEL came back on with the same code. Prior to the plug change I had no problems. Could it be a sensor or possibly a bad catalytic converter? I originally thought it was the first set of plugs as I gapped them to .40, so this worried me that it was not burning enough fuel and plugged up exhaust with to much carbon. I also noticed a difference in responsiveness when excellerating. Any ideas??
Hi Solano. Blind Internet diagnosis is extremely difficult.

Take a look at these links concerning DTC P0420: DTC P0420 - Google Search

Although at this point it seems there may be deeper issues, I would recommend your first step be going back to the proper, Motorcraft spec plug, as detailed in your Owners Manual Maintenance and Specifications section. Once you do that, you will need to follow the troubleshooting steps for a P0420 code.

Hopefully one of our tech members will have more specific advice which may help you.

Keep us updated and good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts