FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!
I purchased my Milan with the CD6/MP3 radio with the 6-speaker system. I have an extra set of Pioner 4-way 6x9s that I would like to mount in the rear deck stock locations. I was wondering what is the best way of wiring them up using the stock radio? I do not want to sacrifice the stock sound and performance.

Are there extra dumby connections/ports on the radio and wiring harness that I can use to run new wiring?

Not much of a audio guy?

Also, I heard that you can adjust the internal radio amp up for more wattage? What do you do for this?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I jumped them from the rear speakers. I tapped into the wiring in the "B" pillar (between the front & rear doors). I pulled off the bottom trim piece. There is a mollex connector there that feed the rear door for windows, locks speakers ect. I matched the wire colors from the rear door speakers. I then ran the wire down inside the trim, under the door treshold and through the edge of the rear seat. If you need the wire colors let me know I think I wrote them down somewhere. It took me about 1 to 1 1/2 hours for both sides (total). I haven't heard anything about the amp being adjustable. Good Luck!

·
Registered
933 Posts
^ and if you do this -- remember your stock deck now sees a 2-ohm load in the rear. (I think the stock rear speakers are 4 ohm?). I would not crank it too often -- for long periods of time.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Good point Korey... I did replace all my speakers.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i think a few people dont understand what ohms or watts or rms etc... You can really damamge your speakers when you splice and you dont know what you are doing. The problem is that you wont hear anything... and then your head, amp or speakers die and you are left wondering whats going on.

If you are asking questions like this (dont take offense)... its great that a message board is here to provide you with people's opinons... but if you are truely unsure about a few things and want to DIY please go see a professional.

EDITED: KoreySE i am pointing out what you posted ;)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Milan - this is an EXCELLENT addition to your car. Believe me, I did it and it sounds GREAT. First I replaced the door speakers with a set of Polk 5x7's and just switched them 1:1 with the factory speakers (with modification to the hook-up harness of course). The 6x9's you can't just put back there and expect them to perform. Although the Milan/Fusion head unit is better than 90% of the HU's in cars on the market today, it just can't push enough for 4-way 6x9's to really sound good. You're going to need to amplify the sound to the 6x9's. Make sure you get someone to help you who knows what they are doing, because if you don't you could end up with fried speakers or a fried HU. Bottom line - you're going to love the sound. IMO, it takes up less space than a sub and sub box, and I can still get 4 golf bags in my trunk ;) A man has to have his priorities :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
You will need the following to wire up and amp for rear parcel (rear deck) speakers:

1- a pair of 6x9s
2- a 2 channel amp that pushes around 50 W RMSx2. If you need reccomendations; let me know. Just give price point and your speakers brand name and model
3-5-10 ft of speakers wire.
3- an amplifier kit. I would reccomend at least 8 gauge wire. I will get an 4 gauge if I.plan on having a sub later.
4- 1 LOC (Low-line Level Output Cconverter); I personally prefer you get a good one; Spend at least $20 on it.
5- have professional install it OR
6- Follow these instructions -esspecially my reply!
http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=73659.0

Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"pkoko wrote -
This is only for adding a sub and not amplifying speakers.

you have 3 options for the location of the LOC:

1- If you have audiophile: just tap the rear 6x9s wires and hook the LOC to it. This should be 15-30 min job. (easiest but needs audiophile.)

2- Remove one rear door panel (it is easy to remove; just 3 screws and clipses. You should remove it in less than 1/2 hour.) Only one door panel is needed. 1 signal is enough. Bass is mono not stereo. Tap speaker wire; run speaker wires back to trunk and then to LOC. this should take less than 1 hour. (easiest way w/o audiophile.)

3- Remove the dash and place LOC behind HU and run RCAs to the back. This can be difficult. It takes around 1.5-2.5 hours. It is better to let a pro do it.

my 2 cents."

I have a two part question:
1.) Okay, I read your response for the install of the LOC. Why did you remove the rear door trim panel? If you install the LOC behind the HU, you can make your connections there to any speaker wire off the factory harness...right? Then all you have to do is run the RCA cable back to an amp, then wire from amp to the 6x9s. Is this correct?

2.) Also, how do you hook-up the LOC?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I would like to know that too.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yeah you will definetly have to hook up an amp to run 6x9s in the rear deck.

When i tested the 6x9s in the rear i had my LOC behind the head in the dash. I hooked up my LOC to the fronts because i had my fader set +1 or +2 towards the front for imaging purposes. If you were to tap into the rears and you had your fader set a bit towards the front... well you can see what would happen... little or no sound. On the downside people have said that its easier to tap into the rear doors. IMHO i had a easier time getting in my dash that getting the rear doors but to each their own.

Now i have an aftermarket with preamp outs so i dont need an LOC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.