FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i ordered my magnaflow exhaust today for my i4, but i also want to order a catalytic converter from random technology.

They make some of the highest flowing cats for cars.

they don't make one specifically for our car, but they do have standard/universals that fit on almost all applications. if someone can tellme how big the piping is on our cat, so i could order one, and how long the cat is, that'd be awesome.

thanks you!

www.randomtechnology.com if you wanna check em out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You might want to check with your dealer. I to want to put on a high flo cat on mine but removing or replacing a cat may void your warranty. I was told it has to do with the back pressure in the engine. Now if you did have a problem with your engine ford would have to prove it was your cat. Let me know if you do however because I may do it any way, but then Ill need to tune it again.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=RLRacing link=topic=86288.msg1712055#msg1712055 date=1189708531]
You might want to check with your dealer. I to want to put on a high flo cat on mine but removing or replacing a cat may void your warranty. I was told it has to do with the back pressure in the engine. Now if you did have a problem with your engine ford would have to prove it was your cat. Let me know if you do however because I may do it any way, but then Ill need to tune it again.
[/quote]

Not to mention it's illegal to tamper with/replace catalytic converters unless the car has over 80k miles (I think that's the threshold) or the converter is clogged.

·
Registered
76 Posts
^^^ I agree with that. The emission system is warranteed for 80K miles. If your dealer notices that you've changed or removed a cat, you would surely loose the emission coverage, and he could refuse other warranty coverage too... :(

If you're working on the exhaust, look for 'pinch points' in the piping, uneven junctions, and sharp bends in the tubing. You can pick up a couple horses pretty easily by just cleaning up some of the 'quick to assemble' but crappy flowing stock plumbing. Here's a typical poor-flowing junction on a stock system....

Note difference in pipe sizes...

·
Registered
584 Posts
I might think twice on that purchase...

Having purchased a Random Tech cat for my old Ford Focus, it lasted only 1 year before throwing a CEL code due to failed catalyst performance.

Funny how the factory ones last 5 years or 50,000 miles...but the aftermarket units fail after 1 year and are only warrentied as such.

It will make your exhaust loud. Much, much louder than the aftermarket exhaust alone.

PLUS,
according to their own website:
Please note that it is illegal to remove a properly functioning catalytic converter and that aftermarket catalytic converters are not legal for installation in California on OBD II vehicles (some 1994 & 1995, and all 1996 and later vehicles)
Of course there are loopholes, such as you purchased the vehicle used, and without a catalytic converter, but still.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.