FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why the hell will Ford not finish the job, why not put a locking door on the fuel tank every car has one, i mean if you are going to pay $35k for a ford flex the least they could do is give me a dam locking door for my fuel especially now that stealing gas has become a habbit for some people.

What do you guys think should Ford include a locking gas door.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
My car doesn't sit out often, so I actually prefer to not have to hassle with it. I like just being able to flip it open without turning any keys or pulling any levers.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nobody can take gas out of your fuel tank anymore due to the way that the gas tanks are made now, thats why the locking gas caps are a scam.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If they're going to go to the trouble of getting a tube and pump that works and will fit through the easyfuel system (that "cap" has a lot of pressure, try to open it with your hand sometime), then why wouldn't they just bring a pry bar and pop open the door?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would prefer a door that locks and has to be released from the inside, like the hood. Right now, anybody can come along and pour sand, salt, sugar, water, or anything else down into the tank as a prank.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone stealing gas in like 20 years. I know my GM is impossible to steal gas. It has a float ball inline with the fuel tube from the pump. Even my 89 k5 would require a really long and thin tube. It would be fast to just poke a hole in the tank.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I've had someone steal gas out of my '94 ZJ and my '94 Taurus about 6 years ago. My ZJ had a locking door and they took a screwdriver and used it to pry the door open, resulting in a nice crease dent on my rear fender.

If someone wants to steal your gas, a locking door won't help.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
[quote author=Mav2u link=topic=122408.msg2587625#msg2587625 date=1220502020]
I haven't heard of anyone stealing gas in like 20 years. I know my GM is impossible to steal gas. It has a float ball inline with the fuel tube from the pump. Even my 89 k5 would require a really long and thin tube. It would be fast to just poke a hole in the tank.
[/quote]

You'd be surprise to find that this is so common. It happened to my buddy's pick up in his own back yard. There are hoses that are especially designed for this. Alls you have to do is move the hose up and down and out comes the gas.
I had a professor that had a locking door and anytime someone would try to pry the door open the horn would honk. Not sure how it worked but I guess it had some sort of cable that sense any movement.

·
Registered
205 Posts
[quote author=Knightrider03m link=topic=122408.msg2585907#msg2585907 date=1220469928]
Nobody can take gas out of your fuel tank anymore due to the way that the gas tanks are made now, thats why the locking gas caps are a scam.
[/quote]

The latested report is that gas thieves are making a hole in the fuel tank and draining it from under the car.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
[quote author=rag1998 link=topic=122408.msg2653997#msg2653997 date=1222755514]
I have a feeling that some body is stealing my gas...checked my gas mileage & oops I am getting a whoooping 20miles/galon :shock: yesterday one my frnds saw somebody opening my gas door in front of our apt...As he screamed the guy ran away...

Any suggestions...
[/quote]

You live in Texas...get a gun. Or at least a slingshot :p

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
My miata has a locking fuel door. I forget to pull the lever about 50% of the time.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
[quote author=rag1998 link=topic=122408.msg2654953#msg2654953 date=1222794877]
Gun wouldnt work as I cant keep watching the car all time :p i would need to hire a body guard for the car then :)

The link is interesting need to look into it...

[/quote]

It would be like the insurance commercials. :lol:
As far as the link goes...I don't know too much about it either. I heard about it but never bothered to see exactly how it worked. Time to study up on it. :pc:

[quote author=Chris06Fusion link=topic=122408.msg2655902#msg2655902 date=1222815286]
My miata has a locking fuel door. I forget to pull the lever about 50% of the time.
[/quote]
I know what you mean. My aunt had a Cougar with locking door and every time she fueled she had to go back into the car to push the button.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Same thing with my Miata! But at least if you have the roof open you can reach the lever from pretty much anywhere.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
[quote author=Waldo link=topic=122408.msg2657376#msg2657376 date=1222862117]
Same thing with my Miata! But at least if you have the roof open you can reach the lever from pretty much anywhere.
[/quote]

Those looks like they are fun cars to drive. Only thing I don't like is when I'm in a parking lot and there appears to be a spot open but when you get there you find a miata just hiding there. :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car doesn't sit out often, so I actually prefer to not have to hassle with it. I like just being able to flip it open without turning any keys or pulling any levers.

My car don't sit outside either but I always thought the fuel door lock when your car is locked. Only open when your car door unlock.
Someone open my tank and my car is my garage of my condo. I was surprised to see that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts