FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I am wanting to get a LeBra car bra for my fusion. I know that everyone here loves the clear ones but are the LeBra bras all that bad. I would remove it as soon as possible in the rain and to wash my car. I really like the look of them and think it would make my Merlot fusion look hot. Remember I want one before you bash them too badly.

"Peace out, Girl Scout"

·
Registered
613 Posts
They dont protect the car one bit, but if you want it for looks, you could prolly spend some time and cut out some kind of non-abrasive pad to get rid of any gaps that trap debris, and that would get rid most of your risks out of the way. But you still would have uneven fade as the car sits in the sun.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would never put a bra, unless it was a clear bra on any of my vehicles. If you get any dirt, sand or abrasive materials under one of the leather bras, it would be nothing but scratch city. Plus, it's more of a seasonal mod, seeing as I live in New England, I'd have to keep taking it off during the winter. I think they put more wear on your bumper than they're worth.

But, it's your ride, do what you feel would be the best for you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
+1
Definitely be forewarned that those leather ones will create paint fade. I had one on a red Probe. I went to take it off after a year, and couldn't believe the fade. Luckily the car needed to be repainted due to a hail storm and I was able to get the problem taken care of. But it never went back on.

If you're looking for protection from pebbles and such, just go with the bug deflector.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had one on my 91 tbird. When I got it the front end was pretty beat up. So i got the bra to hide it. It looked good but the damn thing would make the car overheat all the time. I took off the part that covered the bumper and it was fine again. I left the hood part on becasue it was covering a good size dent in the front of the hood and 120k miles of rock chips and sand pitting.

i ended up with more chips and scratches on the hood.

Stay away from them on new cars.. they will only do you harm.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I had an expensive Colgan Custom Bra on a my first car, a Ford Taurus. (In hopes of covering several rock chips). I wanted a good bra that would fit perfect and tight, so I shelled out $180 for it. It saw at least 3-4 years of sun during the time it was on. I didn't have any problems with paint fade. Most of today's paints with clearcoats really limit fade. But my main problem was scratches and water sataturation problems. The bra was extremely soft on the inside and a tight fit, but over time dirt worked its way in and put a lot of scratches in the paint. But what concerned me most was that you could see several spots where water just sat on the paint. It created white spots all over and the plastic on the bumper actually started to distort where that water had sat forever. It ruined the whole front of the car.

So if you really, really, REALLY want a bra, then I'd seriously remove it every week, wash it, dry it, apply a wax to all the entire front, then put the bra back on. Too much work IMO, for so few benefits.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I had one on my 98 contour for 4 years, and my wife has one on her 01 cougar for 3. We have never had 1 problem with fading or scratching. The problem most people have is they don't take care of them. You have to take them off and clean them, and clean under that paint.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How about just putting them on for road trips... to protect the bumper from highway chips for the weekend.
Also those clear bras i heard make the bumper look ok despite getting hit by stones,, soon as you go to peel it off.. paint pieces stuck to it from the stones peel with it.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I saw a new idea this weekend. It looks like crap, but guys at the Carlisle car show I was at were using the blue painters tape for long trips. :werd: I should have snapped some pics.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
[quote author=Chris06Fusion link=topic=78242.msg1442581#msg1442581 date=1180391726]
I had one on my 98 contour for 4 years, and my wife has one on her 01 cougar for 3. We have never had 1 problem with fading or scratching. The problem most people have is they don't take care of them. You have to take them off and clean them, and clean under that paint.
[/quote]

I cleaned mine once a month and applied wax, so who knows why the paint still scratched. Maybe once a month wasn't enough, but still. Too much maintenance for the job it does.

Blue painter's tape? That'd be an insane about of tape, but it'd probably get the job done.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=78242.msg1466406#msg1466406 date=1181156112]
[quote author=Chris06Fusion link=topic=78242.msg1442581#msg1442581 date=1180391726]
[/quote]

I cleaned mine once a month and applied wax, so who knows why the paint still scratched. Maybe once a month wasn't enough, but still. Too much maintenance for the job it does.

Blue painter's tape? That'd be an insane about of tape, but it'd probably get the job done.
[/quote]

Hey used the 3in wide tape. They say it works good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts