FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if the ford aux connector works on the base four speaker system, or if you have to get the six or eight speaker set up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Premium Sys. in my SEL (6 spkr's & 6 cd's), the "AUX" is not functional.
My salesman said it's for the (8 spk'r) Audiophile Sys.
Although, my owners manual says "not operational" for each system (including Audiophile)... 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

I am looking at this as well. The information that I got from my research is interesting.

Generally car makers will use similar radios in different vehicles. If the Aux button did not work it would not be there. The Aux button is there because the radio is also used in a vehicle that has an aux input. When I press the Aux button on my radio I get a message like "No Aux Input". This seems to indicate to me that the radio recognizes there is no aux input connected and will recognize one when there is.

Ford is part of the Automotive Multimedia Interface Collaboration (AMI-C). This is a group working on a standard way to interface multimedia devices, navigation devices, etc..., in vehicles. It appears that Ford uses this to interconnect radios and rear seat entertainment units on recent vehicles. It uses CAN-BUS for data transfer between units.

PIE recently introduced a FRD04-AUX unit that adds an aux input to recent Ford CAN-BUS radios. It plugs into the rear seat entertainment (RSE) port on back of the radio. The box is interesting because it not only has the audio interface but also contains a microprocessor that talks to the radio through the RSE CAN-BUS port and pretends to be a RSE unit. The radio has the Aux input to get audio from the RSE.

The messages I have seen say the FRD04-AUX will work for both single and 6-in-dash MP3 radios in the Fusion. PIE had to update the firmware in the unit so it would work in the Fusion and the Milan.

73 Eric

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
I wonder if they use the same system in the Fusion that they do in the Mazda's. If so, Aux-Mod will work as well (sylfex.com).

·
Registered
15 Posts
[quote author=MZ6ZoomZoom link=topic=34941.msg498513#msg498513 date=1133712286]
I wonder if they use the same system in the Fusion that they do in the Mazda's. If so, Aux-Mod will work as well (sylfex.com).
[/quote]

Hello,

Maybe not directly. Ford may use a different connector and I noticed the aux input appears to be balanced.

It appears that Ford is using CAN-Bus for the whole vehicle and Mazda 6 uses CAN-Bus as well.
http://www.canobd2.com/knowledge/what_is_can.asp
http://www.bridgwater-electronics.co.uk/p_59_What+is+CAN+Bus?.php

On the CAN-Bus side the radio is looking for certain devices and may be able to display information from and control certain ones. If the Mazda Aux-Mod simulates the devices that Ford expects then it could work after getting the right connector and audio.

73 Eric

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
The AuxMod (and AudioLink, and P.I.E./IceLink) plug into the interface on the back of the Mazda6 headunit where like the tape module would go, if you had it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

The connector looks the same but you need to verify that the pinouts are the same and the command sets are the same.

73 Eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

I will be glad when more information is available on the Fusion. I am trying to get the Fusion wiring diagram through my contacts. I cannot verify alot of what I am seeing through my internet searching.

It appears that the same radio is used in the 500 and the Fusion. The 500 has the option for a rear seat CD/DVD player and in the 500 owners manual the radio looks the same. The manual also mentions the same messages mentioned in the PIE Aux connector box information and a message I see when pressing the Aux buttion.

If the 500 uses the same radio with the same mounts it raises some additional options that may work. Pioneer makes a combination CD/In-Dash Navigation system for Ford. It is available in the Zephyr, 500, and several other 2006 models. The Zephyr uses a THX version that has 14 speakers in the car and I doubt it can be put into the Fusion without alot of rework. The version for the 500 Limited may only need slight modifications for stuff like GPS antenna installation. Also the right logo will appear on powerup. Alot of unknowns still exist but it would be an useful modification to me.

73 Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts