FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the truth behind this hole daytime running lights creating problems when installing an HID conversion kit?

Is there no DRL by-pass in place for our cars?

Will the HID's still work but only if turned on before the car?

Please shed light 8)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't know specifically about the Fusion but the story that I got was that there are a number of ways DRL's work. 1) DRL's omit less power to the lights which make them dimmer compared to the full headlight system. 2) DRL's are set up so that the headlights turn off and on really quickly. Now, depending on which method the Fusion uses, if it's option 1, would it be enough power for the HID's to ignight? If it's option 2, this would not be good for the HID's because they are being turned off and on all of the time. I am personally exploring the HID option too but am not going to install them with the DRL's because running them all of the time is going to deplete their life expectancy much faster. There is a way to re-wire the DRL's but I don't know how. You might have to seek professional assistance or review some previous threads.

Please take some before & after shots should you go through with the converstion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sooner or later the fix will be revealed. I will have my cousin who is a Certified Auto Electrician have a look at it. It may just be rewiring it.. Either way I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wanted to keep my drl's so I installed my HID's on my fog projectors, it's a better housing than the headlight, and works pretty well for me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got it!!!

After calling a few local ford dealers here in Vancouver, the conclusion is that the DRL can be turned off the same way they are turned on through the computer with the diagnostic tool. Unfortunately no dealer will do it because it's illegal to turn them off in Canada. So I have made arrangements to drive 35min south across the boarder to a Ford dealer in Washington state who will do it for me, no questions asked.

So for those who want to disconnect DRL's for the purpose of running HID's and the boarder is not to far away....there you go!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's great news BCKA8,

While you're down there, could you please ask the dealer if they could make the fog lights take over the DRL duties (without having to rewire everything that is) that way one would be able to keep the DRL's functional and have the HID's in the stock headlight housing? Could you also take before and after pics for us? There are a lot of mixed comments regarding the final results.

Thanks & good luck

PS Happy Canada Day :klavergreg:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts