FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is kind of a stupid question.... (but hey, I'm still new)

Will the installation of CAI on my 2.3l 5spd SE (w/magna flow cat back)

Will this void the warranty?

what about throttle spacer?

with these mods...
what can be expected in improvements?
-HP/Torque?
-mileage?
-?

I'm not out for big improvements, but I am more after the "cool factor"

·
Registered
584 Posts
Please read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act on your own and come up with your own opinion on it.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.shtm#Magnuson-Moss

The general consensus by the public is that, NO, installing Part A into your car will not and can not void the entire vehicle's warranty. The dealer will not cover the aftermarket part(s), but has to provide the factory guarantee on the factory parts, unless said dealer can prove without a doubt that your Part A caused the vehicle to fail catastrophically.

Examples: Putting on your own air filter will not cause the transmission to blow a seal; it has to be covered by factory warranty.
Turbo-charging your car causes your engine to throw a rod; aftermarket part caused failure without a doubt. No coverage.

As for improvement:
-If you are getting an engine ECU re-tune, then say hello to tire-smoking starts, high-end HP, and overall better responses to the pedal inputs. Mileage could go up if you lay off the throttle, which is hard to do because it sounds so cool when the throttle is open.

-Without the ECU re-tune, it will look and sound nice.

·
Registered
399 Posts
As far as your warrenty being voided ... NO
I car company has to prove that the aftermarket part is what caused the damage.
And as long as you dont get a CAI with a bigger MAF sensor there is really no way to do harm to your engine. Anything after the cat cannot void your warrenty also.
Now a tune, thats a different story.

And about performance, the CIA without a tune around 3-5 horses. Exhaust does really nothing.
Now if you got a tune to go with both, thats when you will deff. feel the added power! 8)

Throttle spacer will give you more problems with MOST dealerships. Ford likes to void those... How do I know, My dad works for the warrenty section for Ford. :lol:

Anyhow, my best advice, buy everything that was mentioned. CIA, Tune, exhaust and throttle body. Then remove the tune, throttle spacer and CIA if you need to take it in for service.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for insite.... greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just reference my reply to this post. If you have any other questions I would be happy to outline the cause and effect of modifications against warranty.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=vstarbob link=topic=95223.msg1867083#msg1867083 date=1195569324]
OK, this is kind of a stupid question.... (but hey, I'm still new)

Will the installation of CAI on my 2.3l 5spd SE (w/magna flow cat back)

Will this void the warranty? what about throttle spacer?

with these mods...
what can be expected in improvements?
-HP/Torque?
-mileage?
-?

I'm not out for big improvements, but I am more after the "cool factor"

[/quote]

Hi vstarbob. :wavey: I am linking to a previous post of mine concerning the "Magnuson-Moss Act", which is "stickied" in this (the "Engine and Drivetrain") section of our Forums. www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=183b9e961cd8c2f8a0bb253ee2605482&topic=91546.0

The reason I am including the link, is that there is some well intentioned, but incorrect information being posted in this thread concerning modifications, Warranty Coverage and the amount of protection afforded by the Magnuson-Moss act.

Also, please read reply #7 in the link, posted by "Mav2u". It is very informative, as it tries to dispel some "rumors" and explain exactly what an Auto manufacturer looks for when they believe modifications may have contributed to a failure.

Good luck! :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts