FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body shop types out there? I got a dent in my back bumper in a parking lot. There is an indention about the size of your thumbprint in the exact center of the rear bumper, and then a few small scratches under it. A local body shop wants to take the bumper off the car, heat it and bend it back, then paint the bumper. He says $250.00 and three days. Is there some kind of filler to fill in the depression without removing the bumper? Can the spot be painted to match without painting the whole bumper? The car is black.

·
Registered
56 Posts
you cant just put filler in it, the bumper is plastic, the bondo obviously isnt...even if you tried to do that....the bondo would fall off, just cause the plastic flexs the bondo doesnt, an then you would end up having to repaint the whole bumper creating more damage then help, seems like the body shop knows what he's doin....

·
Registered
477 Posts
THERE IS A SPECIAL FILLER THAT BODY SHOPS USE WHEN THEY ARE WORKING ON PLASTIC. ITS NOT BONDO BUT SURVES THE SAME PURPOSE. ITS FLEXIBLE BUT I WOULDN'T WANT TO USE IT TO FILL IN A HOLE. WELL DEPENDING ON ITS SIZE. JUST LIKE BONDO, THE THICKER IT IS THE GREATER THE CHANCE IS OF IT FALLING OFF OR CRACKING. I WOULD HOWEVER WANT TO PAINT THE WHOLE BUMPER SO THAT IF THE PAINT DOESN'T MATCH EXACTLY IT WILL BE ALOT LESS NOTICABLE THAN IF THERE WAS A SPOT IN THE BUMPER OR A STRIPE OR WHATEVER. THE BODY SHOP IS PROBABLY RIGHT AND THEY WOULD BE THE ONE TO DO IT THE RIGHT WAY INSTEAD OF HALF ASSING IT. UNLESS ITS A SORRY ASS SHOP. GET A SECOND QUOTE.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took it to the dealer's body shop today and they gave me a quote of $460.00 for the same repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts