FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to being a Fusion owner, as well as to the forum. I bought my car from a guy after the engine mount studs broke, and the engine... well fell onto the subframe. all 3 mounts, ps pressure hose, and pax axle later, it runs and drives well.

The transmission has been suspect since I got it on the road, the fluid looks like oil so I poured a can of seafoam trans treatment in it, which seems to be helping, I intend to change the fluid soon with Idemitsu M5. I'm noticing though, that there is what could be described as a shudder/wiggle almost exclusively in 2nd, and the first second or 2 of shifting into 3rd. It feels like a loose axle, but I've never run across a loose axle being so gear dependent for a vibration.

Anyone have some insight? TIA

·
Super Moderator
5,833 Posts
Hello all,

I'm new to being a Fusion owner, as well as to the forum. I bought my car from a guy after the engine mount studs broke, and the engine... well fell onto the subframe. all 3 mounts, ps pressure hose, and pax axle later, it runs and drives well.

The transmission has been suspect since I got it on the road, the fluid looks like oil so I poured a can of seafoam trans treatment in it, which seems to be helping, I intend to change the fluid soon with Idemitsu M5. I'm noticing though, that there is what could be described as a shudder/wiggle almost exclusively in 2nd, and the first second or 2 of shifting into 3rd. It feels like a loose axle, but I've never run across a loose axle being so gear dependent for a vibration.

Anyone have some insight? TIA
HInotyet. The first thing you need to do is completely change that transmission fluid, using the correct specification fluid as per the Ford maintenance specifications (listed in your Owners Manual.
If you do not have your copy, you can download the PDF version here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/

I do not know if "Idemitsu M5" fluid meets the Ford spec or not. If it does not, do not use it. Once you have changed the fluid and put a few miles on it, let us know how it is operating and we can go from there.

Also, although it is too late, you should not have used Seafoam or any other treatment in your transmission fluid.

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! So Idemitsu M5 is apparently what Mazda uses at the factory for the FNR5 transmission, which is why I selected that fluid. Based on my research M5=/=Mercon V.

The Seafoam treatment is essentially just detergents, and with as bad as the fluid looked, as well as the harsh 1-2 shift I was experiencing, I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to loosen up some of the crap in the valve body and get it out when I changed the fluid. Since adding the seafoam trans tune, the 1-2 shift has improved exponentially, which leads me to believe it was in fact sticking valves in the valve body due to some sort of build up.

I will keep this thread updated as I go, I plan to put 100 more miles on the car and change the fluid. I'm going to rack it at work one day this week to change a ball joint, I'll re-inspect the driver axle at that time, as I hope the brand new pax axle isn't the wiggle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts