FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I almost got in an accident. I was driving home from work on CA-76. Basically, it's an expressway with a bunch of signals and freeway posted speed limits. Anyway, some idiot pulled out in front of me and then stalled his car. I had to slam on the brakes hard enough where the ABS kicked in and either the brakes and/or tires were smoking. Anyway, since then my brakes haven't felt the same. Almost like there is a very slight vibration I can feel in the steering wheel when I'm on the brake. When I looked at my rotors, they were a darker gray and no longer shiny. I also noticed a few small black specks that weren't there before. Regardless, they don't come off. Are my rotors screwed?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Since nothing should lock up, I am not sure what would have been smoking. However, it does sound like the rotors are screwed up. How many miles on your car? I think the rotors are warrantied for 36,000 miles.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sounds like you've just started to bed in the brakes. Lots of chemical reactions start taking place once you get the brakes up to a high temperature, I assume that this is the first time for your car. There are procedures to do this gradually so you don't end up with vibrations such as you have:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85

It might not be too late, try following the procedure in the first link and you may be able to recover your braking performance.

It's unfortunate that the manufacturer's can't recommned this to all new car owners, even though they perform these (or similar) procedures before doing any brake testing, including government standard tests.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If it's under 36,000 miles take it to the dealer and complain of vibration while braking. Also tell them that it looks like brake pad material is transfering to the rotor. Your rotors will be machined and more than likely you'll get new pads too. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the problem has actually seemed to go away. My Fusion only has 14K on it, but if it starts to resurface again, I'll definitely take it into the dealership.

As for locking up, there is still broken skids marks from my car on the highway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.