FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...this is just a 'parts preview' for this weekends project. Found the rotors on Ebay @ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magnum-drilled-rotors-Ford-Fusion-Zephyr-Milan-Montego_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQihZ013QQitemZ230127622947QQtcZphoto....e-m'd sales to confirm fitment which they are exact OEM replacements...ordered Silver Zinc plated set on 5.2...arrived [email protected] $250 shipped. The pads are Raybestos Advanced Technology Ceramic Streets...purchased @ RockAuto.com. same day as rotors...arrived [email protected] $100 for frt & rr shipped. Will post pix after upgrade.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Re: BRAKE UPGRADE

I saw those rotors on ebay but I passed. I've never heard of them and I didn't want to get a rotor that would just crack on you in a few months. Let us know how you like them after you drive on them for a while...a lot of people are looking for aftermarket rotors.

Question, why did you pay 250. for the rotors when the auction was 160. plus 52 shipping?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hi Jaysen...THANX!! Sure...before...during & after pix are in order!

Hi mrc...the $160 was for 'bare' rotors with a choice of blk,blu,red or silv painted hubs...for $10 more they zinc plate the entire rotor gold or silv. I opted for silver for aesthetics and protection...extra $40...$200 for set o 4. They requested my zip which shipped from Canada was $50...well package...well machined pieces w/ chamfered crossdrilled holes. I will keep all posted as to short/long term 'issues'...if any.

·
Registered
799 Posts

SGs Fuzion,

Looks great! 8)

I want to hear how the new pads work after you bed 'em in and have some miles on 'em.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hi cos...THANX!!...appreciate the compliment!! By all means will keep all informed as to 'status' of this upgrade! But 1st...cup o java ...then down to reassemble the front system now that the new paint has dried...do the rear today....will post pix & pertinent info of complete frt & rr upgrade tomorrow.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hi All...brake upgrade completed...started friday afternoon...finished yesterday afternoon...trip to post office to drop off couple o HD NetFlix for pad 'seating' (@5 miles)...front up 1st...rainy past few days up here in New England...she's dirty & OEM rotors already rusting...

The 'before' shots...

Use a M14 socket for the caliper bolts...

Use a M15 socket for the caliper mount bracket bolts...

Use a T-40 Torx bit to remove the 2 flathead fasteners holding the rotor to the hub...

All parts for front removed...

The 'after' shots...

These are the repainted (Dupliclor Old Ford Blu Eng) brackets with the six anti rattle/shim snap-in clips provided by Raybestos with very clear installation instructions...

New crossdrilled rotor installed..torque 2 T40 flathead screws to 15'lbs...install bracket & torque 2 M15 bolts to 66'lbs...

Lube 'clips' with supplied grease where indicated in instructions...assemble both pads and install 2 wire anti rattle 'springs'...the c-clamp is for pix only as the 'spring' tension would cause pads to fly out...

To install Caliper...hold pads together at bottom and slip caliper on at top so as ensure wire srings stay in place...once in place..torque 2 M14 bolts to 20'lbs. As my car only has @ 10K miles...there was minimal wear to original pads & rotors..the caliper puck was easily pressed in by hand...fronts are finished...on to the rears..

Rear 'before' shot...

Use the M14 socket to remove caliper bolts...

Pads removed...bracket has only 2 'clips'...I was able to remove drivers side bracket with pads still in bracket easily...

Use a M13 socket for the bracket bolts...the lower bolt is accessible with an extention threw a hole in the trailing arm as seen in the pix...apologies for the fuzzies...

Use the T40 torx bit to remove the 2 flathead screws for rotor disassemble...

All parts for rear removed..

Rear 'after' shots...

Repainted brackets with the 2 snap in 'anti rattle/shim 'clips' installed...

Install new rotor & torque 2 T40 flathead screws to 15'lbs...assemble bracket & torque 2 M13 bolts to 52'lbs...

Lube 'clips' with supplied grease...slip in pads...

The rear caliper has the parking brake setup...I was able to rotate the puck clockwise a turn or 2 to allow easy assemble onto the pads...torque the 2 M14 bolts to 19'lbs...

Front closeup...

Rear closeup...

Torque specs are from the 2006 Fusion/Milan/Zephyr Workshop Manual...Section 206-03 Front...206-04 Rear Disc Brake
The Front Lug Dia. @ the 'Knurl' is .480...Rear is .470.

Pad prep was file edges & litely sand surface...rotor prep was scotch brite surfaces...pad seating ...bedding...breakin...was warm up at a couple of stop signs..then down Hill St with a couple of 35-40mph to @ 10-15mph slow downs...drop the flix off and repeat Hill St...then home.
I have some small Ford Blue Oval decals coming for the Calipers...considering repainting calipers a darker ford blu...simular to the actual 'blu oval' color...we'll see....anyway...done deal...will keep all posted as time goes by....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: BRAKE UPGRADE COMPLETED

Hi cos...THANX!! for the support!!! Hopefully this will be helpful for those who venture to do the same upgrade...or just a simple pad & or rotor replacement...considering there aren't any manuals, ie Haynes, Chiltons, Clymer available as an inexpensive technical resourse at this time. Anyway...cruz in today was great...definately improved low speed stopping ability with new pads...will be doing a hiway run next weekend ...so will see what the hispeed stopping is like. And ..I will be repainting the calipers royal ford blue...same color as the oval...this blue is just to brite...will post pix with decals.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: BRAKE UPGRADE COMPLETED

Good luck with those cheap-ass ebay rotors. You'll be regretting this sooner than you'll realize.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi All...Caliper Mod complete...repainted with Ford Royal Blue (Duplicolor FM340) & clearcoated. The blueoval 'decals' were a disappointing failure with regards to application with clearcoat...tested it with the larger one on a painted surface...then clearcoat for adhesion...curled & shrivaled up immediately...oh well....on to plan B. Stumbled onto the letter stickers ... getting the idea from a ebay site selling caliper decals...link...http://stores.ebay.com/Custom-Decals-and-Silver-Bulbs....unfortunately not a 'FORD' one. Anyway...with xacto knife for placing them on the caliper...rub in for good adherence...clearcoat & done. Letters can be changed if something better comes along with minimal effort....or back to nothing at all if so inclined.

Front w/o flash...

Front w/flash...

Rear w/o flash...

Rear w/flash...

The failed decal on the left...& the small white ovals I was going to put on...oh well...

Plan B...3 sets o letters I picked [email protected] $1 a pop...had other colors...I opted for the silver block letters...anyway...inexpensive 'mod'.

OK...pad & rotor update....have @ 1K miles on them and the pads are definately way better then the OEM's ...not only at low speed stops but also at hiway slow down...especially at off ramps...noticable improvement! Also...not as much dust. Rotors still look as good as the day they came outta the box...and the pads do not stick to them like the OEM rotors when wet. As time & miles go by...will keep ya updated as to their status.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi rikkross....GREEEEAT!!! Best investment I've made other than the urethane swaybar bushings...have @ 3K miles on them...still look as good as the day I installed them. The pads have not 'stuck' once to them (e-brake on & wet)...and they STOP the car waaaay better than the OEM's ever did...or will. I would do this same setup again...especially the pads...time & miles will tell with regards to 'life' of rotors & pads...will keep all posted...so far way good.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Looks really nice SG. I want some better stopping power since I have put 20's on my car. I will definitely consider those rotors on E-Bay if you say they are doing well for you.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Ceace...THANX!! I went this avenue because I did not want to have to reinvest in larger rims & tires if I put on a 'big brake kit' which I know there is one for the Fusion now...http://www.hopupracing.com/ro4pifrbigbr1.html...and of course...with the bigger system comes a bigger $!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
With all those mods you have done to your Super Fusion :lol:, I would think money is not an issue for you. :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Ceace...I always strive to get the most for my dollar...surf the web for the best deal...not only on the item...but shipping, too. And doing all the work myself is not only fun...& good therapy...but saves $ big time. Thanx for the 'Super Fusion'...appreciate the compliment!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Just bookmarkedthis. Gonna have to do the EBC everything upgrade in the next couple weeks since my brakes are pretty much sot in a year and a half of use :lame:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Talisman ...Thanx! If you need more info ...e-m me & I'll scan & post whatever out of the workshop manuals I have. I've got about 10K miles on this setup & will definately go this route again. They look as good & stop as good as the day I installed them. Way better then OEM! Anyway..piece o cake R&R.

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK new top the car thing but couldn't you make or get someone to make a oval stencil and paint white right over the blue????

I think you car looks great I pic my 2008 se up on monday and am really excited about the fact that there are some after market parts available I have been driving a chevy mini van for 3 years after smacking up my 01 mustang and hated every second of it I looking forward to enjoying the car I am driving again. I got a black one and I am thinking of blacking it all out with a trim color.

Keep up the great work and good posts I might get frisky and try some stuff like this myself lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.