FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with rims with a lot of space like mine, what do you do for the buildup of brake dust on the inner portion of the rims? I have seen cars with rims clean on the outside, but black on the inside. That will bother me. I am guessing I will have to stick my hand back there with a towel and and wash it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Its a labor of love, Ceace. Just suck it up and put some elbow grease into it. :D

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, my hand can fit between the spaces in the rims, so that is what I will do maybe every 3 washings. I just may have to move the car forward a foot about three times to get the entire radius of the rim. It is well worth it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would suggest washing it everytime if possible, otherwise the build up will require more time to clean. Your other option is to just power wash it out whenever you do a tire rotation. I guess you will be the best judge of how much build up you can afford before it starts looking really bad.

Take some pics for us!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
You can go to dogpile.com and search "brake dust shield", There's a bunch of different kits depending on size and how you want to mount them, using caliper bolts, inside of rim, etc... The ones I saw aren't exactly made for looks, but only checked 1 or 2 brands. Keep me posted if you find anything.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure thing, Kev. More than likely though, I may just wash the inside of them with every detail, or like WIFL suggested, get better brake pads.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What brake dust? Compared to my old Contour this car has no brake dust to speak of. I love it. With the Contour, the wheels were filthy after 10 miles.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=Cueball link=topic=84344.msg1591681#msg1591681 date=1185561390]
What brake dust? Compared to my old Contour this car has no brake dust to speak of. I love it. With the Contour, the wheels were filthy after 10 miles.
[/quote]

The brake dust on the inside of my rims. :slap: The kind that was on your Contour. :slap: :wiggle:

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=Ceace link=topic=84344.msg1587804#msg1587804 date=1185458897]
For those with rims with a lot of space like mine, what do you do for the buildup of brake dust on the inner portion of the rims? I have seen cars with rims clean on the outside, but black on the inside. That will bother me. I am guessing I will have to stick my hand back there with a towel and and wash it.
[/quote]

Hi Ceace. :wavey: Yes, we are all going to get a noticeable build up of brake dust. All we can do is clean it when it gets too hard to take. Personally, I just get as much as I can from the outside, as the rest is really not noticeable on the inside of the wheel.

On the plus side, I do notice that the build up is visibly less on our MKZ than it is on our Cougar, or any of our previous cars.

However, I would advise staying away from the brake dust shields you see advertised. Many of them have a tendency to cut down the air flow to your brakes, leading to higher brake temperatures, and possible problems. This is a warning I have seen many times, from many expert sources. Just thought I would play it safe, and pass it on.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Good point, I think they look crappy too. I just wash mine the best I can from the outside and going to clean the hell out of them whenever I rotate the tires. (every 2 nd oil change.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts