FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone picked one of these up yet? I'm really interested to see some reviews. I've been wanting to go dual exhaust for a while, but wasn't really happy with the release from Magnaflow.

·
Registered
799 Posts
swooshUSN,

What don't ya like about the Magnaflow?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Borla makes really good quality exhausts, but I have heard from many people that they only sound really good on V8's. I think the Magnaflow flow sounds awsome on our cars.

·
Registered
933 Posts
The difference would be cost, looks, warranty, and sound. I doubt there would be a difference in performance between the two.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
[quote author=koreySE link=topic=92037.msg1791013#msg1791013 date=1192722678]
The difference would be cost, looks, warranty, and sound. I doubt there would be a difference in performance between the two.
[/quote]

Hi swooshusn. :wavey: It is pretty much as korey stated. To my experience, the Borla will be a little louder than stock, but not as loud as the Magnaflow. The Borla will be more expensive, but is better quality with a more comprehensive warranty. Of course, then you have the looks of the tips, and that is completely up to personal taste. Performance wise (will you gain HP), no difference.

Also, as Talisman said, they do not currently have a dedicated exhaust system for the I-4 Fusion. However, you can use one of their "Universal Fit" applications.

For what it's worth, if I was looking to replace the stock setup, I would get the Borla (would stay stock as a first choice, but then again, already have stock dual exhaust) :hide:.

In addition, if you are looking to do it for the louder sound or looks of the dual tips, spend the money. If you think you will get more power, don't waste your money. The choke point in a modern cars exhaust system is the catalytic converters. A new exhaust will do next to nothing, performance wise, without other modifications.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=92037.msg1791146#msg1791146 date=1192726313]
[/quote]

In addition, if you are looking to do it for the louder sound or looks of the dual tips, spend the money. If you think you will get more power, don't waste your money. The choke point in a modern cars exhaust system is the catalytic converters. A new exhaust will do next to nothing, performance wise, without other modifications.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :cheers:
[/quote]

This is very true.When looking at my stock exhaust system, its a very well made piece for stock. I cant see the magnaflow giving more than 5hp max on its own.Opening up all the breathing from the cat forward is where the huge gains are.

·
Registered
613 Posts
[/quote]

If thats all it is, then hells yeah. But confirmation would be nice. Not all Borla cat-backs are the same. I had 2 in the past on similar power V6s, and I couldn't say that there is just a "rule of thumb" view on everything they make.

Maybe with my tax return, I'll do this to my I4. I already have a V6 rear bumper awaiting in the garage :D

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I previously had a Borla on a Focus and I loved the sound. I've been flirting with the idea of upgrading to the V-6 Magnaflow for a while, but wasn't completely sold on the tips. I searched for a while to find a universal that I liked, and ended up with the Magnaflow listed in my signature. The shop did a great job of installing it, and as previously stated, I was pretty impressed with the diameter and bends in the stock piping. At first I thought about having the same shop do a complete custom job and just replace all the piping, add a slightly larger-but-higher-flowing resonator to control the sound, and leave it at that. Then... I thought about doing custom duals, but they wanted way too much.

After seeing the Borla, I'm very happy with the tips, the placement and size of the mufflers, and from my experiences it will be a better product.

As you can see in the pictures, it fits very well in the I4 bumper cutout. The tips are oval, and slightly angle cut. If I doubled them, it would have an almost "Maxima" look at the rear.

I'm not looking necessarily for performance improvements. It will breathe a bit better, but mostly I want sound and looks. Does anyone have specs on the piping diameter? In my eyes, you get what you pay for. No, I'm not expecting perfection, but I know I'll end up with a good product from Borla.

·
Registered
799 Posts
swooshUSN,

The stock piping is 2.25" from the cat back to just before the stock mufler(which is 2" ID) where it necks down to 2". I think the exhaust gases cool and condense as they get near back of the car so the stock system necks down to 2" to maintain exhaust gas velocity. For decent sound you need 2.25" piping/muffler. Now, while 2.25" piping/muffler will increase upper rpm power it also causes the loss of some low end torque (there's always a trade-off).

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=cos link=topic=92037.msg1795448#msg1795448 date=1192842081]
swooshUSN,

Now, while 2.25" piping/muffler will increase upper rpm power it also causes the loss of some low end torque (there's always a trade-off).
[/quote]

I've experienced that in the past. My Borla was 2.5" piping and low end torque was garbage. It sure did sound good though!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Borla makes a great system you will never have to worry about it after it is installed but $900 for a cat back on a Fusion. And since we all know you may get 2HP out if it the bang for the buck is not there. I did the same as swooshUSN found a univ muffler i liked and had the shop install it for me. I got the sound i wanted and the look is great. And i spent less than $100 on it total including the install.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Ditto. That's what I did on my previous ride. I bought a Magnaflow muffler, and had a shop cut OEM muffler, and weld in the new one. Total cost - $100. The installed said it would be dumb to replace any of the stock piping -- since it's stainless. He even utilized the OEM tip -- so it still looked stock/stealth.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I also want to just swap the stock mufflers with Magnaflows, but I'm not exactly sure which mufflers to buy. Is there just a generic Magnaflow muffler I could buy with certain inlet/outlet positions/sizes? Also, do Magnaflow mufflers come with the tips that are on the catback system?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=11011101 link=topic=92037.msg1802857#msg1802857 date=1193167345]
I also want to just swap the stock mufflers with Magnaflows, but I'm not exactly sure which mufflers to buy. Is there just a generic Magnaflow muffler I could buy with certain inlet/outlet positions/sizes? Also, do Magnaflow mufflers come with the tips that are on the catback system?
[/quote]

what you need to look for is a univ muffler with 2.25 ro 2.5 inch inlet in the center. E-bay is full of them or you can get them from Summit Racing, Jegs, Auto Anything... just about any place that sells aftermarket parts. There are so many diff styles and tips out there but what will work great is a center inlet with an oval polished body and straight thru design on the muffler. That will give you a great sounds as well as free flowing and a good look because it is polished. here is mangna flows site that list there univ mufflers http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdisplayproducts.asp?zone=main&id=386
here is ebay and you can see they have almost the same styles but the prices will be alot better.
http://motors.listings.ebay.com/Exh...1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ33636QQsocmdZListingItemList

1 - 19 of 19 Posts