FordFusionClub.com banner

161 - 180 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Re: BlackFusion07's Headlight Retrofit Project Thread **MOAR PICS!!!

Good points. I'll probably just stick with the hidden LEDs for now.

Kenny or Andrew, wanna draw up a diagram showing how to hook up the LEDs to a toggle switch :D

·
Registered
13,371 Posts

Not sure if its necessary but here you go: :lol:

When I say +12V switched I mean find a circuit to tap into that turns on and off with the key, that way if you forget the switch on then you won't drain the battery since the lights will turn off with the key.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts

That would work. Just realize that if you did that the only way to turn those on would be to turn on the parking lights. Oh and also be sure to hook the lights up in parallel like in the pic, NOT in series. If you do it in series they will not light up.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

why are you tieing in the negative leg of the one light to the positive side of the next light and a parallel (+)? Why not just ground each light individually at a chassis ground??? Just curious??? That and he could leave led's on for days and they wont drain his battery. They draw what like .125 amps put together. Not that I would reccomend leaving them on.

Just tap into the parking light cirucuit (at dash switch) or accessory circuit at the dash (breaker panel) add a 2.5-5 amp inline fuse and then to the switch (+) and then to the lights individually as seasonal stated. Then run each light to a chassis ground or tie into the factory ground at the headlight harness.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts

That's basically what he is supposed to be doing, for each set of bulbs he will connect all of the (-) to each other and ground it wherever, then take all the (+) terminals and attach those to one end of his switch, then the other end of the switch goes to a power source.

Oh and just so you know .125 Amps is a huge load, 1.25mA or milli-amps or .00125 Amps is around what an led would run at. Just so you know. :)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

forgot a few zeros :p then again we play with alot more powerfull leds in the shop. they hurt your eyes when you look at them from across the shop

yea the whelen 600 draw a little less than one amp and 900 series almost 2 amps. the linz6 (small) draw 725 miliamps. (0.0750 amps) :whistle2:

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #172

Kenny, that makes total sense! Shouldn't be too difficult.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=189390.msg4066079#msg4066079 date=1310063279]
That's basically what he is supposed to be doing, for each set of bulbs he will connect all of the (-) to each other and ground it wherever, then take all the (+) terminals and attach those to one end of his switch, then the other end of the switch goes to a power source.

Oh and just so you know .125 Amps is a huge load, .125mA or milli-amps or .000125 Amps is around what an led would run at. Just so you know. :)
[/quote]

When I talked to him about it I told him he should run the parking lights into a relay. I wasn't sure if it would be safe to run the LEDs directly off the parking light power. But now that I think about it, LEDs barely use power so it should be ok.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #175

There wouldn't be an issue of too much power running to the LEDs would there?

·
Registered
13,371 Posts

Since you have LED's that are made for a +12V DC situation (meaning made for a car) I am sure that they will stay within the specified voltages that a car can produce. I doubt you would be able to put them in a voltage higher than what they can stand unless you use a voltage booster or hook them to one of your ballasts. :lol:

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #177

[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=189390.msg4066264#msg4066264 date=1310077097]
Since you have LED's that are made for a +12V DC situation (meaning made for a car) I am sure that they will stay within the specified voltages that a car can produce. I doubt you would be able to put them in a voltage higher than what they can stand unless you use a voltage booster or hook them to one of your ballasts. :lol:
[/quote]

With me anything is possible. :lol:

161 - 180 of 218 Posts