FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I figured I would start an additional thread on my retrofit project instead of clogging up my mod thread. I'm going to do my best to take as many pictures as possible to hopefully keep you all entertained and maybe even help guide someone through their own retrofit.

My goal: Retrofit Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini's into our OEM headlights.
Link to projector kit: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=227

Useful Links:

My Mod Thread: http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=173856.0
How-To Bake Open Headlights: http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=188842.0
Retrofit Photobucket Album: http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z27/Mattteo1518/Headlight%20Retrofit/

Time to skip to the fun part. I already have this in my mod thread, but like I said this is where my future updates will go.

Hardest thing today was removing the reflector. After doing some research on other forums I kind of had a general idea of what I may have to do. Later tonight or tomorrow I'll post a link to how I did so. Anyways, boring as it is here is the reflector.

Next I had to open up the bulb hole a little more to allow the back end of the projector to fit through. As you can see in the following picture there wasn't a whole ton I needed to shave back. (Tomorrow I'll add a picture of the fitting picture)

Since I'm tired I took a few pictures to give myself a general idea of what it would look like. Very satisfied so far!

Without shroud:

With shroud (not fully on):

Tomorrow should be an exciting day. I can nail away a good 2-4 hours off this project if nothing sets me back!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: BlackFusion07's Headlight Retrofit Project Thread

looks nice post pics when your done would like to see how it turns out

·
Registered
6,432 Posts

[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=189390.msg3995458#msg3995458 date=1302925823]
Subbed!
[/quote]

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=189390.msg3995463#msg3995463 date=1302926000]
OH.....MY......GOD......

That cutoff is pure sex! Look at all the blue in there!! :drool:
[/quote]

It'll only get better! That picture was done during the day with a low exposure so I'm sure it's losing some of the color.

If weather cooperates I'll get night time pictures up.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

[quote author=Canadian_LX link=topic=189390.msg3995467#msg3995467 date=1302926415]
Is that with the lens on or off? May not be that great once the plastic is there, but so far it looks promising!

Make sure they're dead straight before you seal them all up.
[/quote]

That's without the lens. Tomorrow I'll try to remember taking pictures of the lens in front of the projector. Being that it's clear I really don't see it causing any issues with the cutoff.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

[quote author=Canadian_LX link=topic=189390.msg3995470#msg3995470 date=1302926623]
It won't cause issues, but depending on the condition/thickness of the lens, the cutoff line may become *somewhat* more blurry.

Not saying it will, but it could. Looks really good though Matt, congrats on getting everything working so far!
[/quote]

Yeah that's a good point. My buddy had to create his own lens on his Ford SHO which had about the same thickness as our lens. His turned out very well...I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the same luck!

Thanks for the compliments tho! :cheers:

·
Registered
116 Posts

[quote author=acedeuce802 link=topic=189390.msg3995462#msg3995462 date=1302925990]
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=189390.msg3995458#msg3995458 date=1302925823]
Subbed!
[/quote]
[/quote]

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

OK guys, suggestion time. :lol:

I'm still unsure with what I wanna do with the high beam spot. Do I leave the halogen bulb in there for looks? Hook it up and have two high beams? Replace it with something like a Silverstar bulb to mimic my projector color?

Or another idea I just thought of. Anyway I can replace it with some type of LED to illuminate the foreground so I can have ample viewing?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I really would like to but I can't seem to find a "theme" that would work well with my setup. There aren't too many people who have done it besides Geist, and even though it looks good, it probably wouldn't work as well on my car.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

More updates....

Tonight was definitely a great night. I got the projector to sit darn near snug into the position it'll be at. Unfortunately it's not perfect so I need to a little more work to reassure myself it won't ever wiggle around in there.

Hard to notice, but around the hole (where the projector will eventually go through) had a raised edge along that. In order for me to get the locking nut on there tight I had to remove that in order to get good grip/leverage on it.

Before I could test fit it again I had to remove the annoying section of the reflector housing that sat in front of the bulb to prevent blinding the driver. After cutting it off there was still a metal piece stuck inside so I had to cut, pull and twist the sucker out. At the end of the process I'll seal it up to prevent moisture buildup.

After removing that part I was able to slide the projector through and get the locking nut fairly secured.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quick little photo with the shroud off and the lens over it.

With shroud

Shroud isn't fully on FYI

Bout it for updates on that. However, here are some more projector cutoffs. Josh, you're going to be disappointed - I forgot to take pics of the projector on with the lens over it. :lol:

Car was about 20-25 feet away.

Car 8-10 feet away.

And different angles of the "flicker"

·
Registered
116 Posts

[quote author=acedeuce802 link=topic=189390.msg3996104#msg3996104 date=1303050338]
:drool: That's amazing dude :)
[/quote]
Yea f'n killer,reminds me of a UFO "don't look into the light" :lol:

1 - 20 of 218 Posts