FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best mpg you have recorded with your manual trans Fusion? In Michigan our speed limit is 70 on the hwy, so figure I am usually driving 75 on long trips and honestly I don't think I have broken 30mpg at those speeds. Tooling along at 55 in 5th gear is another story. The best average I have seen is right around 27mpg over a tank of fuel, combined city and hwy driving. But to work and back I am usually looking at 25mpg or so.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i get 30 to 35 mpg but 80% of my driving is on the 401 (120kmh). I did do a stretch of about 100 miles at 130-140kmh and it settled at 27.6 mpg. Im running the 87 perf tune.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just got back from a 500 mile trip this weekend and the Fusion got between 34 and 34.5 on the freeway running about 70mph. I have gotten between 29 - 32 with a mixture of highway and city driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently got 30.43 mpg on 85% highway, average speed was 52mph for that tank and I had the cruise on 65 and babied the gears. Mountains killed my MPG the later part of the trip, I think I could've done better on flat ground. This was a miles driven/gallons used calculation also, not going by the onboard computer, which isn't all that accurate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i have an auto and get 35 going 65....i could probly get 40 if i went 50...but thats way to slow :klavergreg:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'm getting reamed on the mileage. I get 20 on the manual and I'm really not that hard on it. 95 percent of my driving is city and I have a lot of short trips (5 miles or less) though. I've got 8K on my engine...wtf. How are you guys getting such insane numbers?

·
Registered
613 Posts
[quote author=mrc link=topic=79138.msg1479457#msg1479457 date=1181617051]
I'm getting reamed on the mileage. I get 20 on the manual and I'm really not that hard on it. 95 percent of my driving is city and I have a lot of short trips (5 miles or less) though. I've got 8K on my engine...wtf. How are you guys getting such insane numbers?
[/quote]

I do drive hard on mine 1/2 the time. But I will also skip 3rd a lot when the speed limit is 40-45, and Im sure that has something to do with it.

Good rule of thumb with manuals and gas mileage. You find the RPM place in each gear that has the least resistance/changes the least when you take your foot completely off the accelerator. Then you just need to tap along at that speed like your own manual cruise control. Usually it's between 1,800RPM and 2700RPM and you want to know as close to the exact point as possible for you to keep the right speed within each limit for optimal mileage.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am getting about 26.5 right now. Most of my 40 mile round trip is on country roads. My mpg went up after I put the air silencer back in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
At 3,300 miles, now getting about 29 mpg per tankful. The wife drives this car most of the time, to and from work, 2/3 on hilly country roads with stop signs, 1/3 on secondary roads with traffic lights every 1/4 mile or so. Also, she needs to leave work right at the height of rush hour. When I drive the Milan for a tankful or most of a tankful, the numbers seem to go up a bit.

T

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've read that a lot of gas stations in Iowa use the highest bio blends in the US, and that could account for up to a 4mpg loss for a 4cyl. Still, I wouldnt think you and some of the reporting members would be that low for personal bests. We seriously need to get some research to find out more than what we already know to get these i4s up to snuff.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The best I've got has been 30 MPG. That was commuting to work: 85% hwy (65MPH - 85MPH) and 15% city. I doubt an Altima, Accord, Camry, Mazda6 or Sonata would get better and all cost w-a-y more then my Fusion. 8)

·
Registered
19 Posts
On July 4th, we got an honest 30.2 MPG from that tankful of regular unleaded. That particular tankful included about 200 miles of steady 65-mph running, the rest was my wife going to and from work (see previous posts). This car is definitely becoming more fuel efficient with time.

T

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get around 32 with normal driving to work each day 99.9% rural roads , but i drive like normal, i don't do creepy slow takeoffs and coasting. i just hit gas, shift, turn, drive.

I took a trip a few weeks back and from Croswell, Mi to Toronto . So that was mixed roads, mostly highways ,(401, 402, 403, I -69) and some tooling around town in downtown. With 3 large people and luggage in the car. and i still ended up at 31.5mpg. Heck i didn't even use near a full tank of gas.

-baja

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=Milan2007 link=topic=79138.msg1622018#msg1622018 date=1186598799]
Tell you what, I just installed the K&N air filter in my car. And my fuel economy shut up 2 to 3 mpg! That is sweet IMOP!
[/quote]

same here when i installed mine. I just installed Steeda intake and going to fill up for the first time tomorrow so will be able to tell how it does.

·
Registered
799 Posts
2 to 3 MPG with just a K&N? :shock:

Will this urban legend never die?

You'd be hard pressed to find an engineer at Ford or Honda that would believe that! Let's say part throttle cruising at 60 MPH requires 100 cfm of air. Well both filters easily deliver that miniscule amount air and with ease I might add. So where does the K&N have a MPG advantage? What you are saying contradicts the rules of physics! Please explain to us how a K&N improves MPG and why no auto mfr has adopted this amazing technology. Now answer carefully because every engineer, auto maker and university wants to hear this answer.
Here's a excellent test that shows a K&N getting it's butt kicked in dirt filtration tests.
http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
Yes, I'm a member of BITOG, and many other car, truck and bike forums, so I'm quite familiar with the K&N debate and would not use one in a daily driver. Now an Amsoil Ea filter -now your talking!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=cos link=topic=79138.msg1623107#msg1623107 date=1186617368]
2 to 3 MPG with just a K&N? :shock:

Will this urban legend never die?

You'd be hard pressed to find an engineer at Ford or Honda that would believe that! Let's say part throttle cruising at 60 MPH requires 100 cfm of air. Well both filters easily deliver that miniscule amount air and with ease I might add. So where does the K&N have a MPG advantage? What you are saying contradicts the rules of physics! Please explain to us how a K&N improves MPG and why no auto mfr has adopted this amazing technology. Now answer carefully because every engineer, auto maker and university wants to hear this answer.
Here's a excellent test that shows a K&N getting it's butt kicked in dirt filtration tests.
http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
Yes, I'm a member of BITOG, and many other car, truck and bike forums, so I'm quite familiar with the K&N debate and would not use one in a daily driver. Now an Amsoil Ea filter -now your talking!
[/quote]

I do not know how it works i am not an engineer all i can tell you is i have had a K&N filter either drop in or on a CAI in every car/truck i have owned since 1996 and they have always added a min of 3 MPG plus HP that the "Butt dyno" can feel. First car i ever put it in was my 86 Mustang GT 5.0 with an AOD. First time i took the car to the drag stip (1/8th mile) i was running 10.01 to 10.03 for 6 runs. Then i took the brand new fram filter out and put my new K&N dropin into the air box and with the very next run i got 9.89. This was a Sat afternoon at a test n tune and had to have made 10 plus runs with the K&N and never ran slower than a 9.91. Since my car was and auto i can say that there was no shifting diff or anything like that. The K&N just works that well.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts