FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 1987 3.0 ECM "rebuilt". The company strongly recommended using Motorcraft coils, but they're pretty pricey. Does anyone have experience with aftermarket coils, and recommend a reasonably priced but reliable one?

·
Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
I just had my 1987 3.0 ECM "rebuilt". The company strongly recommended using Motorcraft coils, but they're pretty pricey. Does anyone have experience with aftermarket coils, and recommend a reasonably priced but reliable one?
Hi johnhoytz and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. A "1987 3.0" for a Ford Fusion? Is that a typo?

Either way...I would recommend you stick with the Motorcraft coils (and spark plugs too).

Not sure where you were price shopping, but you can check online Ford Parts sellers for a better price. Just Google "Ford parts" and scroll down past the paid advertisements. Or if you know the part number you need, simply Google it.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that's a typo! My car is a 2008 3.0 Milan. It seems the Motorcraft brand is the number one recommended, but very pricey at best. Hoping to find out if there is a good substitute out of so many brands.

·
Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
Yes, that's a typo! My car is a 2008 3.0 Milan. It seems the Motorcraft brand is the number one recommended, but very pricey at best. Hoping to find out if there is a good substitute out of so many brands.
Hi johnhoytz. I did realize what you were hoping to find. ;)

However...well, that is the thing, there really is not a good substitute. If you try another brand, you take your chances. Same with the spark plugs. Ford/Lincoln vehicles just seem to run better with Motorcraft coils and spark plugs. And even more so in the case of the spark plugs.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts