FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a tune last night from Bamachips, and did a little driving and testing of it this morning. My first thought after loading the tune is that the car is much more responsive. This gives the car a sportier feel in normal driving, which is very nice.

In the limited amount of driving I've done on the tune this morning, it also seems to have some more pull in the lower RPMs. This is made more apparent in the Gtech runs I made. Around town, it feels like it pulls the car around with less effort.

After I made the Gtech runs, I topped off the tank in the car so I can make fuel mileage comparisons between the stock tune and the mod tune. This will take a week or two to complete, so this thread with my thoughts after some more miles, and with the MPG findings.

OK. Here's the numbers. 3 runs were made on each tune, stock and modified. All runs were made on the same road, in the same direction this morning. No powerbraking was used in any of these comparison runs.

Stock:
60': 2.61sec
0-60: 7.5sec
1/4 mile: 15.6sec @ 87mph

Tuned:
60': 2.52sec
0-60: 7.0sec
1/4mile: 15.0sec @ 92mph

With a little powerbraking on the mod tune, I managed a best 1/4 mile of 14.92 @ 94mph. Not bad for a family car.

Here's a little vid of one of the runs too. http://media.putfile.com/Tuned-accel

·
Registered
297 Posts
:shock:

good lord !!! do you have Drag strip in your back yard ? :lol: (just saw the Video.....)

Great post !

·
Registered
13 Posts
What's up with the check engine light being on? Is this something that happened during the run or is it due to the new tune?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Great post, it echo's my findings! Thanks for the video. I keep meaning to post mine and I forget. What tune are you running? The 93 Torque will yield the best 0-60 times, with the 93 performance be the long-haul acceleration in the higher RPM range.

mow10s, the check engine light goes off with a few cycles of the key. It usually takes my car I think 4 or 5 starts and shutdown's to clear the light. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great Video. All those runs and still 19.6 mpg :lol: Got to love it!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a dragstrip in my backyard, but there are a few long, deserted stretches on highway around. I use that same piece of highway for all my testing, including a couple top speed runs in my F150. 8)

The CEL comes on when you load the tunes, but after a couple drive cycles it goes away. It does nothing more than let you know the computer was recently flashed.

After running this tune for a few days, I'm really getting excited to try out the 93 oct tune, as well as one with some slight adjustments for autocrossing. I can say that Jusnes and I will be working together on tuning my Fusion, so I'll update you guys as things progress.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why do you pull the two fuses when you load a tune?

·
Registered
440 Posts
You are supposed to pull the fuses so that there wont be any voltage fluctuation when loading a tune. I dont usually unplug the fuses, and on rare occasion it doesnt work when pulling the fuses. I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've loaded my tunes many times, never pulled any fuses, and never had a CEL. Although maybe that is a difference between the 6 cylinders and my 4.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Nice Video!  I think I wouldn't mind having my shifts even firmer, though. 

Can the transmission line pressure on the 6 speed auto be increased through tuning, to control shift firmness? My old 4.6 T-Bird (which made less hp than a stock Fusion V6), would chirp the tires during the 1-2 shift after tuning.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just came back from driving the 91 torque, VERY NICE. Now I am going to install the 91 Perf. I like how easy it is to install.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ah, bruce you spoiled yourself with that torque tune ;) the Perf tune will be fun, but you may go back to the torque one.

As far as the shifting goes, we can make it shift as hard as anyone would like. We use an upgraded firmness that should still be comfortable, but we can adjust the settings based on the customers tastes.

We always offer free updates, and tweaks. I know we have been working with Boggus for a few weeks now to tweak his tune just the way he likes it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yeah, I think you may go back to the torque tune! It is waaay too much fun, even on my little 4 banger! The shift firmness options may actually make me think about upgrading to a 3.5 auto, if one ever becomes available in a Fusion. I am not counting on Ford to actually offer a manual with this engine.

[quote author=mercerb link=topic=55464.msg925494#msg925494 date=1157074817]
Just came back from driving the 91 torque, VERY NICE. Now I am going to install the 91 Perf. I like how easy it is to install.
[/quote]

·
Registered
26 Posts
hehehehehe that was fun. Now most of my driving is highway driving. what is the main defferance with the torque and Perf. mods?

·
Registered
610 Posts
From my experience in my 2.3, the torque tune gives better low and mid-range performance, while the performance tune yields better upper rpm pull.  The torque tune also sacrifices some mileage to deliver the added low end thrust, about 1mpg less than the performance tune from my experience.  For highway driving, the performance tune is probably the way to go.  When I take a long highway trip, I go back to the performance tune.  They both make a big difference, but the torque tune does deliver even more boost down low.  I find myself going back and forth just for something different every once in a while. 

[quote author=mercerb link=topic=55464.msg925589#msg925589 date=1157078101]
hehehehehe that was fun. Now most of my driving is highway driving. what is the main defferance with the torque and Perf. mods?
[/quote]

·
Registered
440 Posts
Metallicat pretty much covered it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info, and my hats off to Bob. The service I got was great and the product has put a smile on my face. It is nice that I have a choice of tunes, more room to play LOL

·
Registered
359 Posts
since i know nothing about this stuff and do not know numbers, what would you guys suggest i would feel or see a difference in?

·
Registered
440 Posts
You dont need to be able to understand power and 0-60 number to appreciate it. Youll feel it right away, the throttle response is crisp and not sluggish, the car is much more responsive and powerful. Everyones experience shows that the tune makes it like a whole different car, the numbers just prove it

1 - 20 of 54 Posts