FordFusionClub.com banner

Bad Advice on Stereo Install

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ming321 
#1 ·
I'm afraid I've given some bad advise on upgrading the stock premium 6 speaker stereo system. As some of you may have read in other threads, I added a sub and amp to the trunk, 4 Kenwood 5x7 door speakers and kept the factory tweeters and deck. Last week I spent 10 hours in my car over 2 days and noticed how "tired" my ears felt. This is the 2nd time I'd been in my car that long since I made all the upgrades.

The only thing I could come up with was the high notes were wearing my hears out. I tried turning down the treble on the head unit, but it removed too much treble, so it didn't sound right. I stopped by the place I got my sub and talked with one of their experts. We decided it was from having dedicated tweeters (factory) and the tweeters that are part of the Kenwoods (2 way). I came home and disconnected the factory tweeters, and it sounds much better. Nowhere near as "bright" as before, with much cleaner sound.

For all of you that upgrade your door speakers with 2 ways, it's best to unplug the factory A-pillar tweeters. If you have the budget for components, all the better. They will always sound better than a 2 way. Sorry for the bad info, hope this helps you enjoy your sytem more than ever.

#3 ·
Putting a component system in the door/a-pillar would be the best situation. Having the mid/bass (6 1/2) in the door and the component tweeter in the a-pillar would sound awesome. Add an amp to it and you'll have a great system. Also, I didn't mention this in my original post. The rear speakers provide more ambient, background music so they don't have to be components. Just a good 5x7 will do fine.

#5 ·
I physically removed my tweeters from the a-pillarl. They were mounted inside a bracket that's held in place by 2 screws (they screw into the inside of the front of the trim piece). You might be able to reuse the bracket if the component tweeters were the same size. The factory tweeter (incl bracket) is 1 5/8 diameter and 7/8 depth. There appears to be plenty of room behind that corner panel for a good sized tweeter. I'd think that unless the component tweeter was unusually large, you wouldn't have any problems with space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.