FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I've just finished installing the backup camera on my 2010 Fusion and want to share some pics and installation tips with you.

First of all I picked a backup camera. It was $20 backup cam from ebay which is actually made for BMW e38 to fit instead of the license plate light. (Needless to say, it didn't fit in my friend's e38:) ) So, I also picked this camera, because i like its shape, cause originally I wanted to build up a mechanism to roll up and roll down the cam, when I hit revers. After some thinking I convinced myself, that building any mechanisms is pretty bad idea, because it is going to be placed in the trunk, so the rain will go to all tiny gaps and cracks, so I have to seal it very good. So, I just moved on and thought about the next thing-the screen(monitor). I don't have nav in my Fusion, but I do have a very nice spot for the screen which is a glass holder compartment(the front dome light unit). I've measured it and bought $25 3.5" LCD screen from Amazon. Then the funniest part begun.

First I ran the video and couple other wires from the trunk to the front dome light. That was a pain! I had to take off the back seat, partially remove all B and C pillars, pulled down the headliner on the right side and run one video cable and 3 16 gauge wires. I'll explain lated why I need so many wires. If you have any questions about how to remove back seat, pillars and headliner, you are welcome to ask.

Next, I started to disassemble the trunk lid. That cost me tons of nerves. First of all, those black round clips that are holding that dark gray liner are tough to take out, but doable, though. after pealing the liner off the trunk lid, I saw 8 bolts sticking towards me with nuts on them that were holding that plastic LED strip, Ford logo and bottom plastic piece that contains license plate lights. 4 nuts for LED strip were easy to unbolt, but the rest 4 were the toughest nuts ever, cause when you are trying to unscrew them, the bolt rotates along with the nut, so I had to hold the tip of the bolt with the pliers. All right, I won, the nuts were off and I removed that plastic part.

In that piece I say a very good spot to install the camera into. Right between the license plate lights. So I started to measure and cut the pieces of the camera, that didn't fit. Then I had to cut a plastic bracket in that place where I was trying to install the cam, because it was on my way. I cut it off and started to cut a square hall for the camera. After that was done, I applied a lot of super glue on the cam's mount and it become solid with the trunk:) The
n I took a soldering iron and started to melt plastic around the camera and filling up all the gaps and cracks. It worked pretty neat!

Then I melted some more plastic to "solder" back that plastic bracket I cut off before. That also worked. After that I used some glue gun to seal some wires and installed the plastic piece back on the trunk lid. Done!

Next pars is the screen.

The dome light unit was off and my video and other wires were hanging off the ceiling (pretty terrifying :) ) and I started to measure the right spot to fit the screen in. I decided to put it against the left wall, because it is closer to my eyes. I cut off a little bit of the glasses' holder and secured the screen in with 3M two sided tape. Then I cut a big hall in the back wall (next tho the lights) and ran wires through it.

Then I installed 2 switches on the same wall. First one does this: in pos 1 the screen and the cam both turn on when I hit the reverse, in pos 2 the screen and the cam are on all the time. The second switch: in pos 1 the screen's power is dependent on the first switch, in pos 2 the screen is always on (so I can plug an additional video source to it and watch something without turning the camera on). That's why I ran so many wires. I actually used 2 of 3 power cables and have the 3rd for additional modifications.

That's basically it. The camera gives about 170° of view angle and I can actually see the cars in the blind spot! That was a good surprise. Also, the original idea was to install a small motor that will release the screen holder when I put on reverse, but that I will install later.

All right. Here are some pictures:

The camera pic from ebay page

Screen picture from amazon.

Here go my pictures:

Thanks for watching. If you have any questions, ask.

All the best.
Anton

·
Registered
378 Posts
OK, clearly you are some kind of genius, because that is a fantastic installation! The camera not only looks factory original, but is very well hidden. And the monitor is nicely placed as well, what a great idea.

·
Registered
444 Posts
pretty slick!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow! I love this amazing job.

This makes me want to put a backup camera on my car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-CCD-SPECIAL-CAR-REAR-VIEW-REVERSE-BACKUP-CAMERA-FOR-FORD-FUSION-/261027391055?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc671e64f

I was thinking this camera since it is less mounting... But since I have a Milan I worry if the camera will be high enough since the plate is in the bumper. I for sure don't want to stare at all road lol.

What do you think?

Edit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-Shockproof-Adjustable-Reverse-Backup-Camera-/260758814856?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb66fc088

I found this adjustable one ... I don't mind drilling straight in to my bumper.

(which is the same as the Camera that my95z34 uses.. which just occurred to me.

My95z34, how adjustable is this camera?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all guys for good replyes! I really appreciate it.
Looks pretty sweet. I mounted my camera in the same location, but with no modifications. Just shot two screws up and it's mounted.
Side note. What part of Virginia do you live in? I'm stationed up at Belvoir.
Thanks. That's cool too, I just want the cam to be hidden.
I live in Norfolk.

I was thinking this camera since it is less mounting... But since I have a Milan I worry if the camera will be high enough since the plate is in the bumper. I for sure don't want to stare at all road lol.
What do you think?
I don't know, it is kind of bulky. Take a look at this one. I played with this one, my friend bought two for blind spots. It is so tiny and small and you can adjust it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Angle-COLOR-NIGHT-VISION-CAR-REAR-VIEW-BACKUP-CAMERA-for-Monitor-/330735959089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d01663c31

Something like this. It is a little bit pricey though.

And if you break the clips, it's like $5 for a dozen at any auto parts store
Oh, cool, thanks! I didn't know that:)

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
[quote author=Egz link=topic=210656.msg4238397#msg4238397 date=1339369459]
Gentz said:
LOL, that's funny, because that is exactly the auction I bought last week. Should be here in about a week.
[/quote]

Let me know when you get it in... I would love to see what the license plate led looks like.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Okay, that eBay one came in, and its not a direct fit on the Mk1.

Its close in size. But that's not the hard part

Pop out the lens and bulb, and you'll see there is no where for the camera to go.

Take off the liner, remove the rear trim (on mine, was 4 11mm bolts, and some sort of clip), and then you can take out the socket.

Since taking out the socket takes out the bolt holes, I made two 'washers', and then used a bolt and nut. Yea, they are ugly, but they did the job.

Wired it up to the old plug (spliced into the wire so I can revert if I need to), and that part was done. (Black/gray is the negative, Gray/Yellow is positive)

I already had LED tag bulbs, so it was a match in color, just half the intensity. Next I'll need to splice into the reverse to power the camera, and run the video cable.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Finally got it working.

I had a PAC addon already wired in and hooked up to the reverse lead, but it didn't work. So I spliced into the reverse wire in the bundle in the drivers door sill. It was green/white wire, one of many.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm really surprised how cheap these things are ... I've never really looked into it. Now I have to do it!!!!

The only thing is I don't want to add another monitor for the camera. I have a factory Nav/Sync screen ... does anyone know if there is a video input for a camera?

Has anyone installed one to this screen?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks great Egz!

The only thing is I don't want to add another monitor for the camera. I have a factory Nav/Sync screen ... does anyone know if there is a video input for a camera?

Has anyone installed one to this screen?
I think there should be one. Try to take the nav out and inspect it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I do like how you placed it in the center, I wish I had time to fab up something similar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered a replacement rear-view mirror from echomaster with the monitor in it (and then a camera too). Very nice and adds the one thing the Fusion SE doesn't have, but should...an outside temp display. :) It was a wired system so that was a little more work, but very happy with it and highly recommend their products.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts