FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey Kevin,

I don't know if you've found anything yet. I'm on the same quest. I have an '08 SEL V6 AWD with 20s and prior to adding springs or coil overs to improve handling I wanted to try larger sway-bars. I kind of like the stance of my car as-is and would only lower to improve handling, which by the way with the twenties is great. I know you haven't put yours on yet, you'll be happy I'm sure.

From reading on this forum they tell us that Mazda6 rear sway-bars will fit the Fusion. However Mazda6 isn't AWD, just the Mazdaspeed6 is AWD, I think. In searching for Mazdaspeed6 rear sway bars I've found the following so far; Whiteline Automotive and AutoExe. An online source that carries both is at this link: http://www.streetunit.com/Suspension_s/74.htm.

Provide feedback if you are aware of others, or if the Mazdaspeed6 application won't work.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't come across anything yet either. I sent the above company an e-mail, so hopefully will get some good news back from them in the next couple of days. Thanks. If they figure any of them will work, maybe I'll bite the bullet and just go ahead and order them. Might luck out?

·
Registered
132 Posts
KJ,

I actually did just that...I ordered the Whiteline adjustable ($179) after studying the Whiteline image of and comparing visually to the one currently on my AWD. The image matched with respect to the middle bend [1] that goes around the differential and the bumps [2] for the axle either side. I'm hoping for the best.

I should receive the shipment this week and install this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

According to posts in this forum, front bars for AWD, SAP and MKZ are 25mm, which is comparable to after market units. I'll probably update the existing front bar with better end link and leave it at that.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They e-mailed me back and said they weren't sure if it would work, so I sent him pics. of the rear-end. He said if the one you ordered fits, they will give you a discount for "test-fitting" it for them. He also said that if any of us wanted anything that they can build just about anything in their shop. Good to know.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It really should fit. The only thing that I think is different between the two vehicles is the fuel tank, so be sure to check for adequate clearance up there. Good luck putting it in though, it will make the front bar change seem like a piece of cake.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey Kev...just got the unit yesterday (01-21-08). It took a week to receive it. Out of the box it appears to match with regard to bends to miss differential and axles based upon my memory of the last time I was laying on my back under the car. Pretty cold here now ah, 10ºF. I've got a nice garage...just not heated...so I'll get to it ASAP and let you know the result.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's in, it fits...so the MazdaSpeed6 rear sway-bar works on an AWD Fusion. I'll post images and diagrams upon request only, because I'm not sure if anyone's going to be interested in doing this anyway. If your going to have a mechanic do it merely telling them they have to lower the differential should be enough detail for them, however at a high level I'll layout what is required:

• Fusion has (2) drive shafts (not to be confused with axles). Remove rear shaft at rear connection (at differential).
    Remove Torx head bolt(s) at front differential bushing location
    Drop exhaust system and remove out of the way to enable wrench to swing facilitating Torx head bolt removal.

I've left out the obvious "How To" on unbolting the sway-bar.

I'm not sure if the following is necessary, but I did this prior to understanding the correct R/R procedure:

• I removed rear coil springs to drop control arm out of the way facilitating angling the end-link location of the bar in / out.

The Torx head bolts referenced above are oh so close to the gas tank, and in less you want to drop the tank to provide easier access to the bolt head(s) to facilitate removal I did the following:

• I cut (short leg of "L") a 8mm allen wrench (allen wrench works in Torx head) approx 5/8" (cut off 5/8").

This job was a TOTAL pain in the ass, however if I had a shop manual and started removing the correct parts in the correct order it certainly would have went better. I spent much time on my back under the car finagling the bar trying to get it out not realizing the differential had to be dropped. As it turns out the new sway-bar came with instructions (notes no diagrams, two notes to be specific merely stating to drop the differential), I never thought that they would provide specific instructions per vehicle. Once I knew what the procedure was, it was really a matter a removing bolts in very hard to get locations.

This was an adjustable "Whiteline" 24MM sway-bar [http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=94168.msg1994110#msg1994110] set to its maximum setting. Upon test driving the car I was surprised that new bar had minimal impact, however I did re-use the OEM end-links. They seam pretty wimpy, probably don't do such a good job of transferring loads. Maybe I'll upgrade.

Disclaimer: modifications to factory car set up may void factory warranty. Always consult with your new car dealership prior to attempting any modification. The information provided herein is the experience and some cases the opinion of this poster. The reader should always compare posted content against other information available on the internet, by asking questions of other forum members, the library or new car dealership.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good job. How big is the factory AWD sway bar? If the one you installed is bigger, I might go ahead and put one on too, because I'll have to be under there to do the coil overs. Thanks. Good write-up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pretty sure the OEM AWD & MKZ are 19mm. The one I purchased and installed is 24mm.

Yea it would have been a good time for me to install new springs...wished I'd of known I'd have to R/R the springs. The springs where real easy though, the hardest part was getting the bolt lined back up and through the hole right where the spring perch bolts to the hub.

I assume you're going with the H&Rs, right? Are you going to take before / after height measurements? I'd be curious to know what the delta was.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=scotthom link=topic=94168.msg2048779#msg2048779 date=1202255061]

Yea it would have been a good time for me to install new springs...wished I'd of known I'd have to R/R the springs. The springs where real easy though, the hardest part was getting the bolt lined back up and through the hole right where the spring perch bolts to the hub.

[/quote]

You're not lying, there....

That added at least 45 mins to my install time. Pretty much had to loosen every bolt in the suspension to get enough play to get that bolt back in.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The sport pack has a 25mm front bar on the V6 and 24mm on the I4. The AWD Fusion and all MKZ already use this same 25mm front bar. The rear bar is 19mm on both sport packs, which is the same as a Mazda 6. (base bars are 24/16 on both I4 and V6).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts