FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pretty excited this morning, my Magnaflow kit was in, exhaust shop had time to do the install, everything was looking good, then the call came.....there's no way this exhaust will fit your car. What?! Double checked the Magnaflow site, hmmm #16675 06-07 3.0l V6, no other notes. A call to Magnaflow confirms there is no kit for the AWD. Now I'm totally down since I waited a month to get this kit and I'm not terrible happy with the stock exhaust sound, plus I have the SE so I was counting on the Magnaflow to get the chrome tips.

Is anyone aware of a nice system that'll fit the AWD?

I'm starting to regret going with the AWD, no suspension parts available, no exhaust now afaik, crappy fuel mileage and if I'd gone with the FWD I could have gotten an SEL with better options for the same $$ or less. I guess it serves me right for making a hasty decision. I asked about getting out of the lease but even with working for the dealership it's like trying to get out of a deal with the devil. :(

·
Registered
476 Posts
check to see of the Mazdaspeed 6 suspension stuff fits. If it does you might be in luck with it. There are a few aftermarket suspension mods for it... or the stock stufff will be an improvement over the Fusion stuff.

I dont think the exhaust will fit though cus we are longer.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm with you CDNFusion. I, too, regret buying a 2007 SEL AWD Fusion. Our in-city gasoline mileage after 3,000 miles (95 percent of our driving) is a horrific 14.8 mpg. The revised EPA estimate is 17 mpg.

We are not into modding, but the AWD also has a smaller gas tank, 16.5 gallons versus 17.5, which translates into a shorter driving range. The regular SEL has a 17-by-7 inch wheel while the AWD has a 17-by-7.5 inch wheel. The tires are the same, 225-50R-17.

For our type of driving we should have bought an I4, 5-speed manual SEL (it's available but only usually as special order, most of the SELs come with the V6 and 6-speed automatic).

We really like this car, EXCEPT for the really crummy mileage. Hindsight is always 20-20. Maybe Fusion will offer a hybrid by the time we are ready for our next new car. I would definitely buy another Fusion, just not a V6 or AWD.

Sorry to hear about your exhaust system dilemma. That's a real bummer.

·
Registered
702 Posts
They are supposed to come out with a hybrid fusion in the next few years. As far as exhaust I'm with jaydez, check that out or check to see if the muffler shop can make a custom bend to go with the stock location of the AWD.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=urnews link=topic=77685.msg1415450#msg1415450 date=1179345943]
I'm with you CDNFusion. I, too, regret buying a 2007 SEL AWD Fusion. Our in-city gasoline mileage after 3,000 miles (95 percent of our driving) is a horrific 14.8 mpg. The revised EPA estimate is 17 mpg.
[/quote]

I'm getting almost exactly the same in town as you. Just a shade better than my 05 F150 SuperCrew with 35" tires :(. I didn't get another truck cause I thought I'd save some money and do the environment some good at the same time.

On the highway I can get 22-23 mpg at 65 mph but for a V6 powered car that's still pitiful. My Mustang GT got high 20's. I talked to the owner of the exhaust shop this morning and he said he took a 1500 mile trip (mostly highway of course) in a 05 Chev 4x4 with a 5.3 and averaged 28 mpg!

On the plus side there's not much else not to like. I was at a big family gathering for mother's day and everyone was very impressed with the car. I got a ton of positive comments and a lot of these people are far from Ford fans. This is the first car I've owned where complete strangers would stop and ask what it was. A few thought it was a Caddy! And here I thought the Ford emblems were plenty big. :lol:

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
There has to be a way to modify the exhaust with a few bends to get it in there. But, if you're just looking to improve the sound, take the mufflers from the kit and just mount those up in place.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=77685.msg1416313#msg1416313 date=1179365213]
There has to be a way to modify the exhaust with a few bends to get it in there. But, if you're just looking to improve the sound, take the mufflers from the kit and just mount those up in place.
[/quote]

I'm going to get it up on the hoist at work tomorrow and see what it looks like. I'd figure if it were simple Magnaflow would have already made an AWD kit but who knows?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I dont know how I missed this thread before but the modification of the exhaust should be pretty simple for a good shop to fit the awd.Magnaflow mostly likely will make an exhaust buthasnt because they created their unit when there was only a fwd version available and the awd cars are a pretty limited number currently.Might not be worth their development costs(yet)

I also wanted to correct you on the suspension comment you made.H & R actually has springs and a coilover kit for the awd vehicles.

And your other parts like the intake and retunes(which will get you better gas mileage) will still work fine.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
[quote author=CDNFusion link=topic=77685.msg1416830#msg1416830 date=1179377465]
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=77685.msg1416313#msg1416313 date=1179365213]
[/quote]

I'm going to get it up on the hoist at work tomorrow and see what it looks like. I'd figure if it were simple Magnaflow would have already made an AWD kit but who knows?
[/quote]

I'm sure it's a simple job for a exhaust shop. You have to realize that the AWD Fusion is still relatively new and there might be a AWD version released later.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=Talisman link=topic=77685.msg1492793#msg1492793 date=1182025035]
I dont know how I missed this thread before but the modification of the exhaust should be pretty simple for a good shop to fit the awd.Magnaflow mostly likely will make an exhaust buthasnt because they created their unit when there was only a fwd version available and the awd cars are a pretty limited number currently.Might not be worth their development costs(yet)

I also wanted to correct you on the suspension comment you made.H & R actually has springs and a coilover kit for the awd vehicles.

And your other parts like the intake and retunes(which will get you better gas mileage) will still work fine.
[/quote]

slight edit to your post, H&R lists a spring, I've called them twice and there was nothing available although it might be time to call again. As for the exhaust, the shop I had it at indicated it would require extensive mods to make it fit. I never did check it out myself but I still have the kit in stock so I should have a look. K&N has indicated they have no plans to make an AWD kit but if they become more popular who knows?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
[quote author=CDNFusion link=topic=77685.msg1499452#msg1499452 date=1182270808]
[quote author=Talisman link=topic=77685.msg1492793#msg1492793 date=1182025035]

[/quote]

slight edit to your post, H&R lists a spring, I've called them twice and there was nothing available although it might be time to call again. As for the exhaust, the shop I had it at indicated it would require extensive mods to make it fit. I never did check it out myself but I still have the kit in stock so I should have a look. K&N has indicated they have no plans to make an AWD kit but if they become more popular who knows?
[/quote]

K & N? They dont make anything for the cars except a drop in filter. The Steeeda Intake(the one I was referring to) should work fine for the awd model. I dont know why H & R would list something but not have it available for sale. Thats not like them. There were a couple awd CD3 platform cars at SEMA that had their suspension parts on them.They should be out by now. Ill try and give them a call myself actually.

as for the exhaust I have yet to get a car up in the air and look at it so I hypothesized but I could be wrong.Ill have to go to a dealer and take a look under a car myself.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Okay, I went and checked one out at the dealer.Not a huge difference but definitely enough of one so that Magnaflow needs to design a new unit.The way the system curves is a lot less significant on the awd and the two bends right at the mufflers are different. But the overall design and shape is still the same.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oops, not sure why I wrote K&N :?.

H&R does have a AWD spring listed but had nothing available when I called. They were going to have them eventually, he just couldn't confirm when, something to do with when the manufacturer was using that particular gauge of wire and shipping from Germany???

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I ordered my magnaflow and told the ford dealership(svt/rousch dealer) about it and they have done the exhaust in the past on a couple awd models(like mine). Mine gets installed Thursday June 28.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
[quote author=kevjur link=topic=77685.msg1508744#msg1508744 date=1182541169]
I ordered my magnaflow and told the ford dealership(svt/rousch dealer) about it and they have done the exhaust in the past on a couple awd models(like mine). Mine gets installed Thursday June 28.
[/quote]

Ifeel like they just told you some bull$hit to get you in there.Id watch them.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I don't know, they did a lot of work on my 1990 5.0 mustang lx, and they seem pretty competent, they do have a complete exhaust shop with pipe bending equipment and everything, so, fingers are crossed. If not I'll just get the mufflers and wait for the right kit. I've still got lots of other stuff to buy in the meantime, like cold air kit and tuner. Engine dress up kit, throttle body spacer and strut tower brace is supposed to be here middle of next week.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
[quote author=kevjur link=topic=77685.msg1512622#msg1512622 date=1182708736]
I don't know, they did a lot of work on my 1990 5.0 mustang lx, and they seem pretty competent, they do have a complete exhaust shop with pipe bending equipment and everything, so, fingers are crossed. If not I'll just get the mufflers and wait for the right kit. I've still got lots of other stuff to buy in the meantime, like cold air kit and tuner. Engine dress up kit, throttle body spacer and strut tower brace is supposed to be here middle of next week.
[/quote]

I checked under the rear of an awd car and under my fwd Lincoln right next to each other. The exhaust system is definitely not compatible.However, if they have the tools liek you say, It can be easily modified. I was speaking specifically on them saying it would bolt right up,which it wont.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
[quote author=kevjur link=topic=77685.msg1516494#msg1516494 date=1182820527]
No, they told me right off the bat that it wouldn't be a bolt on. Thanks for the info though.
[/quote]

Post pics when its done :agbullet:

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Whenever I try and post pics it says the file is too big. I went on the photoshop thing and minimized all the settings, might have to read the manual. dammit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts