FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am getting ready to install my Avic-D3 this weekend, and I have a few questions for people here that have allready installed it.

1. On the Avic-D3, how did you splice into the factory speed control so the unit can tell how fast your going?? Does anyone know what wire this is, or have tips on how to find it?
2. Where have you D3 users placed your navigation antenna at? I don't think I want to have a wire sticking out of my car onto my roof, so I get a good signal.. Would placing this sensor somewhere on the front dash suffice?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to getting this baby installed.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There isnt much about ford fusion installs, and I couldnt find my vehicles VSS wire... Can anyone chime in?

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is not VSS wire in our cars. You will need a Pulse Generator. I just live with it.

Alex

G

·
How hard is it to install one of these things. Do you have to cut and splice every wire? Or does it just come with a Ford adapter that you plug into the old harness and it connects to the new unit?

·
Registered
29 Posts
why does it need the vss wire anyways ?
there should be some equivlent wire in the fusion
maybe to the dash for speedometer or to the ecu for the fuel
consumption

Bose

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The VSS wire calculates the vehicle speed, and outputs it to the unit. This allows the GPS Satellites to track your location more efficiently based on the MPH you are driving+ their satellites info.

I have talked with alot of people, and the VSS does help a bit for the first 100-200 break in miles, but I have also heard word of the unit starting to adapt to your driving techniques, and it gets alot more accurate once it does that (Common with stand alone units).

The VSS wire does not need to be connected in order for the unit to work, nor does the break light unit (usually only used if u have a backup-cam). I just dont like doing a half-assed install, and wanted info on where all of the wires were located at. From what cisco has told me, all of the speed information is calculated over a network between the electrical components in the car, instead of an actual wire.

The install so far hasnt been very hard. I bought a stock wiring harness from crutchfield, soldered all of the wires from the pioneer unit to the harness, did the mutewire+e-brake bypass to disable the unit shutoff when the car is moving. Im going to throw the unit in tonight, but other than the VSS+Brake light wires, I havent had much trouble. There is no cutting involved, we will see how it all fits once I place it in tonight and hook my subs up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.