FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stumbled upon this site today while I was researching V6 vs inline 6 engine configurations. Some great information here about different technologies, engine configurations, how things work, etc. Thought some of you might be interested as well! The V6 / I6 / V8 articles are great for understanding the harmonics and power delivery of various powerplants. Cool stuff!

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/tech_index.html

Some of the articles are a bit outdated, such as the CVT portions, but the overall theory of operation is still current.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, you know I always wondered why inline 6 engines generated so much torque throughout their entire powerband compared to most similar displacement V6's that I have driven. The basic late 90's Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 I6 only made something like 190hp, but I drove one a few years ago and that thing absolutely ripped! I know that old Cherokee chassis is probably much lighter than current SUV platforms, but still I could not believe how it did not let up in its power from idle through the 5500 rpm redline, and keep in mind the 4.0 is a very old engine. I have always heard that I6 engines are naturally balanced, but I didn't realize that they do indeed have a torque advantage over the V6 design. Sorta makes you wonder why the North American market has ignored I6 configurations for RWD platforms. I know the V6 allows a more compact arrangement and is the only option for 6 cylinder power in a FWD car, but for truck and SUV applications it seems that the I6 is the most ideal powerplant. I know in Australia they greatly favor the I6 and in fact Ford makes some great RWD I6 cars there such as the Falcon. I just get geeked about learning something new :)

[quote author=Chris06Fusion link=topic=83124.msg1555981#msg1555981 date=1184365021]
Great info on there. Explains how a lot of things work. Thanks again Metallicat!
[/quote]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts