FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some kind of Autostick would be nice, just cause we have Auto Trans. and are to lazy to push in a clutch, doesn't mean us old timers wouldn't want to shift our Fusion every now and then.   :csweeney:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would recommend some simple changes to the inside.

First, I would remove the "FAN" button from the steering wheel and put an "INFO" button in its place, to page through the trip computer. It is a pain to reach to the dash every time you want to see a different display.

Second, I would shorten and straighten the turn signal lever. Make it like the '96 Contour - place it at 9 o'clock and closer to the wheel so it can be used without removing hands from the wheel.

Third, I would remove the "TEMP" button from the steering wheel and put a switch there for the inside lights.

Fourth I would put a connector in the glove box tied in to the AUX function of the radio.

Fifth, I would put a slot in the front of the center storage compartment to thread a cord thru coming out of the accessory connector within. What good is the accessory connector if you can't get the wire out? A really small slot - perhaps 1/4" square would cost zero because it would be molded in.

Sixth I would offer an optional powered passenger seat. That one's for my wife - I really don't care but she's all cranked up about it and as all you guys know - they don't suffer in silence.

Seventh I would put a dash idiot light to tell you the Cruise is ON. Now it only shows when ENGAGED. It would be nice to know both. I have inadvertely touched the resume button (not on the Fusion, though) and had the cruise take over when I didn't even know it was on.

Eighth and most important - if they do not do any of these things, I still love my Fusion SEL V-6!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you've ever driven a slushbox autostick, they're horrible. They're very intrusive and have a slow response. I drove an Acura TL w/ autostick and hated it. It always seemed to want to be in one gear higher than it should be. Porsche tiptronic is better but still it's not perfected. Do you think Ford is going to make anything better than a Porsche or even the Acura? Unless they had it like the BMW SMG or VW DSG, then it's not worth even having.

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=bartman1 link=topic=41938.msg616115#msg616115 date=1142271711]

Eighth and most important - if they do not do any of these things, I still love my Fusion SEL V-6!!!
[/quote]
Bartman,
Seven very thoughtful ideas. They would probably be changes that would be recommended by a majority of Fusion owners. Might I add another four: A light for the glove box, a 12-volt power plug inside the trunk, wiring the side marker light so it blinks with turn signal, and having the tag lights come on with the puddle lamps on the SEL.

Would your seven alterations and my four cost a lot of money? Absolutely not. Would they improve the product? Absolutely. Will they ever be implemented? Absolutely not. Why? Because Ford and all the other automakers only think ideas are good ones when someone on the staff comes up with them or another automaker beats them to the punch and they have to come up with an appropriate response.

I don't know if any other cars, for example, had puddle lights in the side mirrors. It's an OK touch but more gimmick than anything else. I'd prefer that money being spent to put a turn signal light in the mirror. That arrangement is a safety plus.

Your No. 8 and mine are different in this way: I am not going to love our 2007 SEL AWD Fusion delivers the EPA-estimated 19 mpg in city instead of the 13 mpg we have experienced for the first 700 miles.

Boz, disgruntled in Salisbury, MD.

·
Registered
910 Posts
This is a must! Pro reviewers have mentioned it. A system like VW's would be great thats about the best out there short of ferrari's F1 system used in their cars. Porsche's is very good also. These are actually faster than traditional manuals, and no clutch!

G

·
BARTMAN. Good news. For you 5th idea, their is a solution. I was able to get a cord up through their. I drilled a small hole and brought the cord up between the two air conditioning vents. E-Z!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are you and Bartman talking about the same storage compartment? If I re-read I believe it's the armrest acces. plug that he is talking about. Please clarify Bartman.

·
Registered
10 Posts
these are all great up grades. I have a 2006 Mustang GT as well as a 2006 Fusion SEL.
I like how the Mustang has a "one touch" window up. The fusion has the auto down it would be nice to have the auto up just like my Mustang GT. Both front window too.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Auto Stick? Yea...right! This is Ford we are talking about. First they have to take the baby step to give us more then a "L" & "D" (I have the I4 auto) and maybe something on the dash that indicates what gear we are in. While they are at it they could put something useful in the message center. How about actual gallons of gas? or oil life indicator? Do we really need TWO elapsed time indicators? I know this is all nit picking...but what the hey!

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote author=bartman1 link=topic=41938.msg616115#msg616115 date=1142271711]

First, I would remove the "FAN" button from the steering wheel and put an "INFO" button in its place, to page through the trip computer. It is a pain to reach to the dash every time you want to see a different display.

Second, I would shorten and straighten the turn signal lever. Make it like the '96 Contour - place it at 9 o'clock and closer to the wheel so it can be used without removing hands from the wheel.

Third, I would remove the "TEMP" button from the steering wheel and put a switch there for the inside lights.

[/quote]

sorry but I love the steering wheel as it is. maybe fix the turn level but keep temp/fan buttons.

On the autostick.
It is a good marketing and not practical tool. The fusion/MKZ/Milan need an overdrive button to help with freeway passing and a sport mode. sport mode lets the car shifts agresively with lack of care on MPG. Something that allows to keep current gear selected is also nice.

Autosticks are not also not safe. My sister put her car in M1 and the car wouldn't shift up; almost got in a wreck. downshifting also causes car to engine brake to ubruptly and lose control. It is like a manual driver who drops the clutch instantley every time he shifts. before you judge autostick go test it. My favorite thing to control automatic transmission is Jaguar J-shifter. It allows you to keep car in sellected gear for passing and handling. it also downshifts automatically and smoothley for you. Because of the unique design; you always know what "max" gear your car is in becuase of its unique design.

A big improvement in the info center like gear box info :
when in park- display "PARK"
When in Reverse- display "REVERSE"
When in Drive- dosplay "D X" where x is the gear the trans is useing. so like D3 for 3rd gear.

·
Registered
817 Posts
When it comes to the transmission and shifter, I'd settle for an overdrive on/off button on the shifter like our 2000 Focus station wagon and 1997 Thunderbird. This is a very helpful functional feature, as is the "2" one.

Does anyone know why Ford decided on just the D and L options? Read anything anywhere? It seems like an odd choice given that the industry seems to be going in the opposite direction. Has anyone pulled the level into L when the car is traveling 60 mph? What happens?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ford did this P R N D L b/c of some of their cars with CVT. So they wanted the shifter to be similar in most of their vechiles.

·
Registered
910 Posts
It would be really nice if the computer had the gears so you wouldnt have to look down thats for sure. Also some way to tell when to change the oil without having to pop the hood (not a big deal though) my dealer sent a picture out on an ad that showed the computer saying an oil change was necessary-that should be possible!

I have used automanual transmissions many times and find that VW/AUDI's DSG is the best. Many companies offer them all ford would have to do is make it an option at least, say it costs another $1000 I probably would have chose the option.

Not a fan of the J Gate though it is unique I'll grant you that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would love DSG on a car that I lease not own; why?? DSG need major service ( replace clutch/ selionoids) around 100K miles. How much will that cost?? Who knows how to fix them?? Same issue with any car with CVT. Longterm reliability is questionalble.

Also according to 2005 car & driver issue, I saw an article with long term BMW Z4 with SMG (DSG for BMW). They stated; lack of intelligence of DSG in normal city driving esspecially when car passed 20K miles. Car would shift very abruptly and harshly as well. They also said the shift speed decreased as the car aged. They were also stranded by it; around 38K miles and had to go to dealer for repair. They reccommended the entire car w/o SMG.

The Transmission in any car's # 1 job is to work care-free and reliabily. Sorry I can't see DSG/SMG reliable enough at least now for my next vechile. I also wouldn't consider any car with CVT trans.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Boz,
I wouldnt recommend that you shift your car into L when traveling at 60 mph, Im guessing it would probably mess up your transmission or even motor considering that the gear is so low.
I shifted the car into L when going like 20 and it was like the car damn near stopped and the RPMs went up pretty high, cant tell you how high cause I shifted it right back to Drive

[/quote]A big improvement in the info center like gear box info :
when in park- display "PARK"
When in Reverse- display "REVERSE"
When in Drive- dosplay "D X" where x is the gear the trans is useing. so like D3 for 3rd gear.

I think this would be a good idea for the Fusion in coming up years, preferably around the time I feel like trading in my car (two or three years) :wink:

About the autostick, I wouldnt mind having it or trying it out but considering all the problems that everyone is talking about, I dont think I would like to have that much problems when paying all that money for a new car.

·
Registered
313 Posts
1. Fix the sun visors so they stay up against the windshield. The floppy end pushes the visor down and therre isn't enough friction in the rod to keep them from coming down.

2. The fan needs a lower speed than the lowest one that exists now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts