FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a silver Fusion, I wanted tint, but I don't think that really dark tint looks good on a light colored car, also I want my soon to be purchased wood grain interior to be seen slightly by others when they look in with the windows up. :lol: So I installed 35%. Yesterday, I went to go get an inspection sticker for my car. They used that tint meter thing and said it read 26%, which is too dark for my state (28% minimum). I said that could not be right. I bought "35%" tint film from Wal-Mart. Right when I was going to prepare myself for the agony of having to rip the tint out, I decided to go get a second opinion. They used their tint meter and it read 28.6%, which is slightly above the limit. So in addition to my inspection sticker, I got a tint sticker also. What made the difference? But still, why is my 35% tint reading 28% by the meters? I don't think the windows where factory tinted.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Tint meters are normally pretty accurate. They measure the amount of light transmittance through the window. A clear pane of glass only transmits about 92% of the light. So if you window is tinted with 35% tint and glass lets through 92% of light the meter will read (.92 x .35) = 32%

Now that isn't too far off, but it can make a difference. There is 1 other factor that goes into that as well. Automotive glass has a safety glazing installed into the glass to protect the occupants, which will bring down the light transmittance even farther. Legally, that glaze can limit the light transmittance to a minimum of 70%.

I'm not sure what percentage the Fusion's safety glaze reduces light, but worst case scenario, (.32 x .70) = 22%. So with a 35% tint, you technically could have a 22% tint.

Make any sense?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I got ya. Assuming my factory glass lets 92% of light in, which 8% is restricted added to the reading of the tint meter of 27% to 28%, that gives me my 35%. Makes sense. I think it would make sense to subtract that difference of the factory restriction of light (8%) from the tint meter's reading when checking the darkness of tint to see if it is legal because if I wanted just a little darker tint, it would be too dark. Right now, you can see straight through my tint, which is what I wanted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts