FordFusionClub.com banner

Are 17" Fusion & Edge rims the same?

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  thereisnospoon 
#1 ·
Hey all, just as the questions asks, I think they are. Pics look the same and I was looking for some 17" sel rims for my se, and noticed not only do the Edge's look the same I found some sets cheaper...Thanks :D

#2 ·
Look closer, they are similar in style but not the same at all. They also don't have the same center bore (I think the Edge is 71, the Fusion is 67?). The Edge is also a 7.5in width and the Fusion FWD is 7in. The Edge wheel has a bit more "dish" to it while the Fusion is pretty flat. Also the Fusion has Euro-flange (needs sticky weights) and the Edge does not. They're not even made by the same supplier, the Fusion is Hayes and the Edge is Superior.

#5 ·
"Fusedup" is running the Edge wheel, is that correct? Was there any problem making them work? I'm looking at Drag DR-15 wheels and they are 18x7.5 with 40 offset or I can get 17x7 with a 40 offset. Will there be a problem with either of those even if the car is lowered? Any help or advice is appreciated.

#6 ·
Hi all. :wavey: There seems to be a lot of confusion concerning wheel offset/width and how it affects the fit of the wheels.

Below this paragraph, I have inserted a link to a great website for calculating how wheel width and offset changes will affect your vehicle. All you need to do is type in your current wheel width and offset and your new wheel width and offset. Click the "Calculate" button, and the calculator tells you the inside and outside clearance changes.

>>>>>>>>>>>www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp<<<<<<<<<<<

I realize most forum members understand this, but for those who don't: Wheel size, offset and fit are very important considerations when changing wheels. It is not a one size kind of fits all situation. Be careful, and consult an expert when you do not know what you are doing. And not us "Internet experts" (including me :lmao:). Someone like a Tire Rack, Discount Tire, or your local Speed Shop.

Enjoy, and good luck! :cheers:

PS - :awais: I may have missed it, but I have not seen a wheel/size calculator like this on our Forums before. Maybe this website address can be stickied in the "Wheels/Tires" section, to make it more readily available to members in the future?

#7 ·
Hey bbf, wtf! does that mean they will fit or not? :dunno: :surrender:

#8 ·
[quote author=HALOREALM link=topic=84927.msg1606525#msg1606525 date=1186068597]
Hey bbf, wtf! does that mean they will fit or not? :dunno: :surrender:
[/quote]

Hi HALOREALM. :wavey: Did you click on the link I provided, :dunno: and enter the numbers into the wheel offset/size calculator?

#9 ·
Why yes..........yes I did. And I still don't know what I'm looking at! :shock:

#10 ·
[quote author=HALOREALM link=topic=84927.msg1606583#msg1606583 date=1186070058]
Why yes..........yes I did. And I still don't know what I'm looking at! :shock:
[/quote]

Hi HALOREALM. :wavey: I understand, and apologize. Actually, my first reply was not meant as an answer to your question (that is why addressed it "Hi all", and did not quote your question in my reply). It was meant to provide a website, to everyone, for generally helpful information on wheel sizing.

Also, to paraphrase my first answer, "You should ask the experts. either at your local Speed Shop, The Tire Rack, Discount Tire, or other Wheel/Tire fitment experts, instead of taking the advice of strangers (including me) from the Internet.

Nevertheless, I will try to help you as best I can.

Compared to the OEM 17" Fusion wheel (17X7 w/44mm offset):
- The 18X7.5 w/40mm offset will have 2mm less clearance on the inside (suspension side), and stick out 10mm(1cm) more on the outside (closer to the fender).
- The 17X7 w/40mm offset will have 4 mm more clearance on the inside, and stick out 4 mm more on the outside.

So generally speaking, they should both work.

Now I will explain why my answer means squat. What size tires will you be mounting to the new wheels? Wider, lower profile? Same size as stock? How much are you thinking of lowering the vehicle? What is the lug spacing on the wheels you are thinking of purchasing? Is it the correct size? Are they available in the correct lug size? Are they the proper center bore (hub) size? Etc, etc, etc.

As you can see, there are too many variables for anyone, without a lot more information, over the Internet, to give you an accurate answer. We would all be guessing. Do you really want to buy something this expensive and important based on the guessing of strangers?

You know what? You may get an answer from someone who knows what they are talking about, or from someone who doesn't know their left from their right. They may guess right, they may guess wrong. Do you want to take that chance with your safety and money?

Ask these questions, and get a reliable answer from a reputable expert. I named just a few above.

Please understand, I am not trying to be a wiseguy, I am genuinely trying to help you get the right answers, and save you money and grief.

Good luck! :cheers:

#11 ·
[/quote] Please understand, I am not trying to be a wiseguy, [/quote]
Oh no, I never thought along those lines anyway. I truly appreciate your help and advice because I simply didn't get it. That makes sense a little more to me now. I will run the same size as stock tires in a 17 application most likely. My problem is that there are no Drag wheel dealers here and I will have to order them. I suspect that I can get the bore size for the wheel from them when I order. Thanks for help. :cheers:

#12 ·
HALOREALM,

Sorry for the delay I just notice your post above. Here's the skinny....

If you must or want to stay with a 17" EDGE wheel it is a 40mm offset.
The factory 17" FUSION wheel is a 44mm offset.

Now, if you go to a 18" EDGE wheel it is a 44mm offset which is exactly the same as a FUSION 17" stocker (44mm)

With that said, you will then need to go to a 225/45/18 tire. By doing this you will be back to the stock size outside diameter of the tire to within less than 1/4 inch. Essentially you are 'upsizing' the wheel and 'downsizing' your tire to get back to stock dimensions. No need for speedo recalibration or any of that nonsense as an 18" wheel with the 225/45 is basically the same as a 17" wheel with a 225/50/17.

If you go aftermarket I am certain you will not be able to find a wheel for the Fusion with a 44mm offset. That's why for me the Edge rims were a perfect selection along with decent looks.

An 18" edge wheel and 225/45/18 tires will be standard on the 2008 'sport touring package'.

#13 ·
Hey fusedup :wavey:
I was beating my brains out trying to find a 44 offset in a 17x7. Between you and bbf, I think I've got it straight now. I don't want to be too over the top--I just want a nice clean look. I like the big wheels some of the guys are running but they're just not for me. I think 17's or 18's on a lowered car will be just fine. I can shop with a little more confidence now that I understand what an offset really is. If someone could post the absolute max and minimum of offset limits for the Fusion it would be great for those of us who don't quite get it. Thanks a lot for your post and pm.
BTW-good luck in the cotm voting. You have a really nice ride.

#14 ·
Hey great info here, I found some 17" wheels I like with the correct pattern spacing but with a '47' offset with 225/45/17 Goodyear ultra performance tires. Anyone see any potential problems with either the offset or the overall height of this set up? Thanks again and I appreciate the help

Mike

#15 ·
[quote author=mike1967 link=topic=84927.msg1611308#msg1611308 date=1186195809]
Hey great info here, I found some 17" wheels I like with the correct pattern spacing but with a '47' offset with 225/45/17 Goodyear ultra performance tires. Anyone see any potential problems with either the offset or the overall height of this set up? Thanks again and I appreciate the help

Mike
[/quote]

Hey mike. :wavey: To give a truly accurate answer, whoever is answering would also need to know the wheel width (17 X 7", 17 X 7.5", 17 X 8", etc. The wheel width, along with wheel diameter (height), tire size and offset is important to know.

Can tell you right off though, that if you drop down to a 45 series tire (as opposed to the stock 50) on a 17 inch wheel , your actual speed will be slower than what your speedometer reads, since your overall tire height will be approximately 2.25 cm shorter than stock.

Correspondingly, a 45 series tire on a 17 inch wheel will look like it does not not fill up your wheelwells as nicely as a 50 series tire on a 17 inch wheel (again, because it will be about 2.25 cm shorter), and your ride will be slightly harsher than if you had a 50 series tire.

I am sure other forum members, with more tire expertise will also weigh in soon to help advise you.

Good luck. :cheers:

PS - Yes, yes, I know the actual height difference will vary slightly, since the sidewall will be compressed on the bottom side. But hey, this ain't rocket science! And I am not a rocket scientist. Although I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :bash:

#16 ·
Hey thanks!! The wheel width is 7.5, and yea, I want it to fill up the wheel well properly. Leaning towards skipping this deal and getting these rims in 18s instead. So how do I know the correct width of rim to go with with the corresponding tire size for the stock height? Would it look better to go a little larger than the overall stock diameter? Thanks a lot 8)

#17 ·
[quote author=mike1967 link=topic=84927.msg1611734#msg1611734 date=1186220812]
Hey thanks!! The wheel width is 7.5, and yea, I want it to fill up the wheel well properly. Leaning towards skipping this deal and getting these rims in 18s instead. So how do I know the correct width of rim to go with with the corresponding tire size for the stock height? Would it look better to go a little larger than the overall stock diameter? Thanks a lot 8)
[/quote]

Hi mike! :wavey: For a good educational site, go to "tirerack.com". Click on "Wheels", then click on "Wheel Tech". Then click on any of the categories for useful explanations. It is very informative.

For a quick and dirty explanation of wheel/tire sizing, here you go: Supposing the stock wheel/tire size on your Fusion is a 225/50-17. If you wanted to go up one size (to an 18" wheel), you would go down one size in tire sidewall (to a 45 series). If you went to a 19" wheel, you would go down one sidewall size again, to a 40 series and so on. This is commonly called "Plus-sizing". If you go up one wheel size, and down one tire sidewall size, it is called "Plus 1". If you go up two wheel sizes and down two sidewall sizes, it is "Plus 2", etc, etc.

In this way, you are negating the "taller" wheel size by getting a "shorter" sidewall tire. This will keep your speedometer calibration from being too far off. If you don't, your actual speed would be faster than your speedometer reading, plus it will throw off your odometer the corresponding percentage.

Then of course, you have the added options of going to a wider tread width (from 225 to 235, 245, etc.), and wider wheel widths (7.5", 8", etc).

Seriously, read the educational material at the Tire Rack site (or other good sites you can find on Google).

Hope this helps. Good luck! :cheers:

PS - Also, if you were to install the 17 x 7.5" wheel you were discussing, you would wind up with 9mm less clearance on the inside (between your wheel and suspension components), and it would extend 3mm closer to your fender (on the outside). If the 18's are also 7.5 inches wide, your inside and outside clearance changes would be the same (9mm and 3mm), as far as the wheel is concerned.

#19 ·
So wait.....I'm looking at these rims that are 17x7 with a 40 offset and I was told that they would fit the Fusion and I could transfer my existing Michelin Pilots to those rims. Did they tell me BS info? I tried the link and it said something about "4mm EXTEND MORE" or something like that, but I figure duh...if I had a 44 and I'm trying to mount 40's, then of COURSE I would need to extend something 4mm.......but ADR told me that the rims would fit with no issue.

#20 ·
OK, so I actually searched online for a few articles that talked about offset/backspacing. I'm still confused when it comes to this. I have no idea what these ADR's are as far as backspacing goes, but the offset is 40. I emailed the guy to see if he could tell me about backspacing. Does anyone know the specs of a FWD SEL rim? I'd like to stay pretty much as close to stock as I could. I know stock offset is 44, with these being 40 it shouldn't matter too much. It's the backspacing I worry about, because I read that it can do some damage if it's not right or an "acceptable" combination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.