FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting some 18" rims that weigh about 23.5lbs each. Not so concerned with speedo as you can just pay attention to the cars around you but I don't want to surrender a few miles/gallon on the mileage. If the steel stock rims are about the same weight...not really worried. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Just the steal 16' wheel will not quite weigh in as much as a cast al. wheel. I would say it would weigh something like 12-14 lbs tops.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Actually the steel wheel is about 22lbs. But you have to think about the tire too. The stock 16in tires is about 21lbs, but any 18in tire is likely to be about 30lbs. Plus it's not just total weight that's important, it's inertial weight. The 18in has more weight further away from the center, thus the effect of this weight is more dramatic.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Mileage will also be affected by the rolling resistance of the tire, so it depends on what tire you pick. The stock 16 is VERY low rolling resistance, any aftermarket 18in is likely to have about double the rolling resistance. But the overall effect of the weight and the rolling resistance is likely to be on the order of .2-.5MPG. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Waldo,

I have noticed that the 16" Contis do roll quite well when I coast in neutral, I mean surprisingly well for a 205/60.

·
Registered
13 Posts
the smaller rim is always better..... But who the hell would buy a set of aftermarket market rims and keep it 16inch... Just a waste of money there... not too mention, that ugly wheel gap.... ewww.... But everyone id different and have diff. tastes......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts