1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
833 Posts
I liked the one I put on my Protege also. However, this one looks like it only has one bolt hole on each side. That would not seem to be very ridgid to me.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Its got to mount with more than one hole per side. Maybe on the other end is a hole. I am also considering getting one of these.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it has 2 holes on each side, its just covered up the way the pic was taken.

I may order one this week after I get it back from K&N...

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Please keep us informed if you install this.... I know I am interested in any gains and ease of install.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The only reason to get a tower bar for the Fusion is to dress up the engine compartment. Do yourself a favor and spend the money somewhere that will actually make a difference.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I am interested in what your reasoning is.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=hwm3 link=topic=60977.msg1039739#msg1039739 date=1162178610]
The only reason to get a tower bar for the Fusion is to dress up the engine compartment. Do yourself a favor and spend the money somewhere that will actually make a difference.
[/quote]

I installed a Turst Racing STB in my '91 Civic and it made a night and day difference as far as handling goes.

What are you basing your comment on when you say it won't make a difference?

The new bar is black, how does that dress up the engine compartment?

Maybe chrome would be a little flashy, but the black will be almost un-noticeable.

·
Registered
509 Posts
There are two things you guys need to realize. First, our cars don't have struts, we have coilovers in the front. The forces on the towers are totally different in a strut car vs. a coilover car. Strut tower bars are very effective in vehicles with strut type suspension, but are totally unnecessary in a coilover setup. Second, the shock towers are integrated into the firewall structure and very stiff already. Besides, since it's a coilover setup and not a strut setup, the forces on the towers are in a vertical direction, not horizontal.

If you want more in-depth reasoning and endless hours of reading on why strut tower bars are useless on our cars, visit any of the Mazda6 forums. There have been literally hundreds of discussions on those forums, and they all come to the same conclusion. On our cars, strut tower bars are only for show. Your money is much better spent on something that will actually improve your cars handling.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^^ Word up there. Taken from my mouth... ^^

·
Registered
619 Posts
I agree, I don't think you can compare automotive technology on a 91 Civic to any 2006 vehicle. Automakers have realized the importance of stiffness and cars like the Fusion are much better optimized than anything from 15 years ago.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wasn't trying to make a comparison, I was just asking why it wouldn't work.

Now I have a better understanding of the front suspension on our cars.

If it its not going to help, then I won't waste the money on it.

If someone else buys one and says it makes a difference, well then I will have to get one...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I do know it helped my SVT Focus quite a bit, but that car was set up quite differently than the Fusion, I think. Funny thing is, that the rental Focus that I had was some plane-jane SE auto and it handled way better than the Fusion.

·
Registered
198 Posts
[quote author=swoop1156 link=topic=60977.msg1042660#msg1042660 date=1162319722]
the rental Focus that I had was some plane-jane SE auto and it handled way better than the Fusion.
[/quote]
It also weighed quite a bit less. I think these cars handle super considering the weight and size of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts