FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad said he had nitrofill in his Caddy, and told me to check it out. So last weekend I went down to Georgetown TX, to check it out.
Man what a difference. Much smoother ride. Cost 39 dollars, but it will pay for itself with the improved gas milage.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Mmmm, at work we have done "blind" testing on this subject and played around with it in several ways. More often than not no one could tell a diffirence.

·
Registered
619 Posts
A properly filled tire with nitrogen will perform exactly the same as the same tire filled with the same amount of air. The only difference is nitrogen is more resistant to temperature changes, so it will be properly filled more often, unless you are disciplined to check your pressure often.

You won't get any better mileage with nitrogen, unless your tires were too low to begin with, but free air will fix that.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Exactly. Nothing about it could make the ride "much smoother".

That damn lumpy oxygen and misc. other elements are really holding nitrogen back :lol:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have a nitrogen fill in my tires. They provided it as a service when I bought my tires. I didn't pay directly.

I will say this about the nitro fill...I have found that my PSI maintains it's intended pressure longer with nitrogen. Regular compressor air has more elements, including water, which lead to air loss. As a result, I don't have to fill up my tires as often as with regular air. I still check them often, but I have very little loss.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=mrc link=topic=89976.msg1737540#msg1737540 date=1190733031]
I have a nitrogen fill in my tires. They provided it as a service when I bought my tires. I didn't pay directly.

I will say this about the nitro fill...I have found that my PSI maintains it's intended pressure longer with nitrogen. Regular compressor air has more elements, including water, which lead to air loss. As a result, I don't have to fill up my tires as often as with regular air. I still check them often, but I have very little loss.
[/quote]

Honestly, that would be the only real advantage to nitrogen. I have nothing against it if you aren't paying extra for it. However, to put down any extra cash towards that doesn't make sense to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
Hi hustlemarcelsi. :wavey: Fatabot, Jaysen, Waldo and mrc are correct. Two tires filled to the same psi with nitrogen or compressed air will behave exactly the same as far as ride comfort and handling. It is possible that your tires were over-filled before, and the tire shop lowered the psi to the proper level, which would give you a "smoother" ride. And there will be no change in your MPG, assuming you kept your tires properly filled before.

Even a properly maintained tire, filled with compressed air, will lose/gain 1 psi for every 10 F degree drop/rise in ambient air temperature. Nitrogen is much less temperature sensitive than compressed air, so you will notice your tires maintaining a steadier pressure, not affected by temperature change. Also, since Nitrogen molecules are larger, they tend to leak/leech less, so your tires will not lose as much pressure over time.

However, one thing to remember from now on is not to check/re-fill your tires at a regular service station air compressor. If you do, you will lose the benefits of your Nitrogen fill.

Currently, this is the one big drawback of nitrogen fills, since there are not many accessible nitrogen pumps at regular service stations. You are stuck going back to the place you were filled, or another tire shop that does Nitrogen fills.

Amusingly enough, as fatabot stated, it is the "placebo effect". Same thing happens to me when I wash my cars. When my cars are very dirty, they seem to ride and handle worse, and I hear more noises. As soon as I wash and wax them, the ride and handling are like new, and amazingly, I don't hear those noises anymore. Did anything change, other than how they look? No. I just feel better about them.

Good luck with your car! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
hi bbf :wavey: I usually agree with what you say but you are dead wrong. It's a proven FACT that newly washed and waxed cars outperform their dirty, filthy counterparts. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=mrc link=topic=89976.msg1738409#msg1738409 date=1190755960]
hi bbf :wavey: I usually agree with what you say but you are dead wrong. It's a proven FACT that newly washed and waxed cars outperform their dirty, filthy counterparts. :lol:
[/quote]

What was that, mrc? :whistle: Sorry, I can't hear you, I am busy washing and waxing my cars (for the performance gains)! :cheers:

PS - Hi mrc! :wavey:

·
Registered
148 Posts
[quote author=mrc link=topic=89976.msg1738409#msg1738409 date=1190755960]
[/quote]

hehe You may laugh at that but it is storied that some WWII German fighter pilots regularly washed and waxed their planes for just that reason. They really believed it made them just a bit faster... 8)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have nitro fill cost only $3 a tire
makes no differance to the ride but the nitro keeps better preasure than air in winter and summer so you should get better mpg over the cars lifetime dealer says about 1-2 tankfills who knows ...and you get those nice green caps lol

Bose

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I swear when I waxed my car about 2 months ago, it made me about 3 seconds faster just with the wash!!! :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The reason to get nitro is so that you do not have to worry about the temperature fluctuations. For cold weather it is worth it because the tires will not lose pressure on cold nights.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Consumer reports put it this way... If you have to pay for it, its not worth the investment. But if you get it for free go for it. They found VERY little difference in tires inflated with air and tires with nitrogen.

I have the nitrogen in my tires, I didn't notice a difference. I got it for free though, so I don't mind. It actually doesn't cost them anything to fill your tires. The machine just uses normal air. So it is a 100% profit item for them. That's why they push it. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I work at a large dealership in the serivce desk and we also sell nitrogen. We put nitrogen in all new purchased tires at a charge of $16 instead of $24. I sell the benifit of nitro for the constant psi not the gas milage. I live in western NY so the temp. in the winters can go from 50* to 10* literally overnight.

But what larryinfl said about how its "free" for the service center is TOTALY incorrect. Before saying that I would have researched into the price of the filters and machine. Starting prices are about $4,000 and can go up to $10,000 for a complete system. Not only the start up cost but the upkeep of the system and the replacement of the filters, depending on use, once or twice a year.

I will not sell something that does not work to a customer just to make a $ becuase I have to sleep at night too. I use it in my 08 SAP V6 Fusion and I know for a fact that it works great at keeping the tire psi at a constant level. Also at $180 a tire im not taking any chances of wearing them out faster than they will.[quote author=larryinfl link=topic=89976.msg1903281#msg1903281 date=1196986151]
Consumer reports put it this way... If you have to pay for it, its not worth the investment. But if you get it for free go for it. They found VERY little difference in tires inflated with air and tires with nitrogen.

I have the nitrogen in my tires, I didn't notice a difference. I got it for free though, so I don't mind. It actually doesn't cost them anything to fill your tires. The machine just uses normal air. So it is a 100% profit item for them. That's why they push it. ;)
[/quote]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Rather than spend the extra money on nitrogen I replace the old air with brand new fresh air at every tire rotation. Oh...and in the summer time when I drive around with the window down I make sure I shave my left arm, coefficient of friction and all that you know!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a thought, what about all the air that is already in the tire when they first mount it on the rim & before they start pumping nitrogen into it. Do they purge it out in some way??? Seems pointless if the didn't....

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
[quote author=Pitbull101 link=topic=89976.msg2153395#msg2153395 date=1205609682]
Just a thought, what about all the air that is already in the tire when they first mount it on the rim & before they start pumping nitrogen into it. Do they purge it out in some way??? Seems pointless if the didn't....
[/quote]

Yes, they pull the valve core, empty, re-fill. Again tho, no real gain to be had here for the cost.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts