FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just wondering if it would be of any benefit putting an HID kit on the foglight projectors that the SEL v6 has. I wan't some HID's badly , my last car had them and they worked well. The reason I suggest the foglights is because I need to retain my stock daytime running lights in order to be legal in Canada, and I don't want to run HID drl's all the time 24/7. So I figure I could put them on the foglights and keep my drl's in stock form. Let me know what you guys think, if the fogs will provide much of a benefit, not sure how much distance I will get out of doing the fogs, I'd like to get more distance if possible. As far as I can tell the fogs aren't adjustable for height. Thanks for any advice.

Joey

·
Registered
596 Posts
[quote author=JFUSION link=topic=74043.msg1317812#msg1317812 date=1175921348]
Hi everyone, just wondering if it would be of any benefit putting an HID kit on the foglight projectors that the SEL v6 has. I wan't some HID's badly , my last car had them and they worked well. The reason I suggest the foglights is because I need to retain my stock daytime running lights in order to be legal in Canada, and I don't want to run HID drl's all the time 24/7. So I figure I could put them on the foglights and keep my drl's in stock form. Let me know what you guys think, if the fogs will provide much of a benefit, not sure how much distance I will get out of doing the fogs, I'd like to get more distance if possible. As far as I can tell the fogs aren't adjustable for height. Thanks for any advice.

Joey
[/quote]
I had both... fogs with, I had the chance to see it with halogen bulbs and HIDs... the difference is day and night, i promise. much harper lines, and a whole lot better visibility, cut-off line, distance.... it's just that.. it's BETTER.. i say DOOOO ITTTT!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=TheRussian link=topic=74043.msg1318221#msg1318221 date=1175958976]
[quote author=JFUSION link=topic=74043.msg1317812#msg1317812 date=1175921348]

Joey
[/quote]
I had both... fogs with, I had the chance to see it with halogen bulbs and HIDs... the difference is day and night, i promise. much harper lines, and a whole lot better visibility, cut-off line, distance.... it's just that.. it's BETTER.. i say DOOOO ITTTT!
[/quote]

thanks for the reply, that sounds pretty good, nice to get an experienced opinion. I think that is the route I'll go then. thanks again.

·
Registered
596 Posts
glad i could help, I'm sure you'll love the difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i got my fogs done with the 3000k yellowish hid,, as far as seeing farther down the road i would say no,, but in the fog, snow and rain they are great,,they really light up the road in front and the sides,, i would recommend for those reasons.

ken

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=kaosken link=topic=74043.msg1341653#msg1341653 date=1176765666]
i got my fogs done with the 3000k yellowish hid,, as far as seeing farther down the road i would say no,, but in the fog, snow and rain they are great,,they really light up the road in front and the sides,, i would recommend for those reasons.

ken
[/quote]

I've got a set of HID's on order for the fogs, hope to get them in soon. One of the forum members adjusted his fogs upwards and got some better distance out of them, I think I will do that after the HID's arrive. The HIDs should put out more lumens and adjusting them higher should get the distance I seek as projectors put out a nice flat beam pattern. I'll see how it goes once I get them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I got a kit installed on my foglights today and I really like them, light output is really nice, they make my low beams look like daytime running lights now. I just need to adjust them higher by a tad and they should be perfect. Right now the distance is about the same as the low beams but the light output is a ton better, if I can adjust them a bit higher I may get the extra distance. Great mod for what it's worth, fogs look great, I got the 6000k , the kit is from a manufacturer called Lumena , or something like that. Easy install, igniter and ballast integrated into one box, lots of room to work with under the bumper. This allows me to keep my daytime running lights and still get great light output when I need it. Looks pretty damn nice too.

Joey

·
Registered
596 Posts
congrats JFUSION! Job well done. How much the the kit run you for?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=TheRussian link=topic=74043.msg1384421#msg1384421 date=1178234981]
[/quote]

thanks for the initial advice, you got me to do the upgrade and I am happy that I did it. The kit was $399 canadian from a retailer that I deal with. You don't realize how dim the stock lights are until you upgrade to something like HID. With the fogs being projectors and also adjustable, you don't really sacrifice anything like you would with traditional fog lights. A good mod overall 8)

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Guys if you're looking for HID kits we've been sponsors on FMV for more than 3 years. We have kits from 200$ to 450$ and a lot of them come with a lifetime warranty. :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
God Da*m that is nice looking, wow. Cant wait to order mine, fogs and headlights!

·
Registered
75 Posts
[quote author=JFUSION link=topic=74043.msg1384494#msg1384494 date=1178237791]
[quote author=TheRussian link=topic=74043.msg1384421#msg1384421 date=1178234981]
[/quote]

thanks for the initial advice, you got me to do the upgrade and I am happy that I did it. The kit was $399 canadian from a retailer that I deal with. You don't realize how dim the stock lights are until you upgrade to something like HID. With the fogs being projectors and also adjustable, you don't really sacrifice anything like you would with traditional fog lights. A good mod overall 8)
[/quote]

Hey JFUSION,

How are the fogs adjustable? I haven't really looked down there yet and I want to take my HID's out of my low beams cause the drivers side beam pattern really sucks. It drives me nuts. I have tried to take it out and reseat it but nothing works. If I can adjust the fogs I would like to put mine in them.

Thanks,

Justin

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry for the late reply, I just did a 3,000 mile trip to the southeast U.S., and I was going to post a reply about my experience with my fogs in night driving.

The fogs are adjustable from under the bumper, no need to open the bumper up, there is a pass through hole under there. You adjust them with a torx screwdriver, I think it is size 5 torx ( I will double check the size though, just going by memory here). Turn counterclockwise to raise the beam, you will need to raise the beam a few inches to get better light coverage with the HID's. My rule of thumb is to have the beam pattern one inch lower than the height of the lights when shining on a wall 25 feet away.

Just after I got the HID's on my fogs I took a long trip to the U.S., driving through the eastern appalachians at 3 am really tested the lights immensely. They offered a great boost to lighting in all respects, I just loved them, a very wide and bright beam pattern. Given the threat of deer crossing the highways late at night the lights gave me an additional peace of mind. We actually saw a handful of deer off the side of the road with the light pattern, it was very helpful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts