FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if iam going to run two subs then do i need a two channel amp or can I buy a mono block amp?

G

·
If I remember correctly you can do both. If you do the mono though, it becomes more complicated as you would need to pick the right way to wire it, whether it be parralel or in series.

I recommend just getting a two channel amp, much easier. I have a 1200 Watt 2 Channel Amp, gives me plenty of "boom".

·
Registered
61 Posts
2 channel would definetly be the best and easiest way to go. Not to mention that a good 2 channel amp is usually cheaper then a monoblock amp. What kind of subs do you plan on running??

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i plan on running two JBL gto's. The peak is 1200 watts and the Rms is like 300 what size amp should i run? Any suggestions on company or type?

·
Registered
221 Posts
those are nice subs; verry similar to infinity kappa 12s. These subs need power to sound good. I would reccomend a 500W+ mono block. Then get a pair of 4 ohm subs. and wire them in parrallel.
pm me; if you need for more info.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Audiobahn makes really good high powered amps but they are usually a bit pricey for my liking. Kicker also makes good amps and so does rockford fosgate but again they are expensice.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
specs
165 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
254 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
505 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms
Maximum Output 1,000 Watts.

Is this to much for the JBL GTO subs? This is the enwood eXcelon KAC-X522 2 Channel Amplifier 1000 Watt? Anyone have an experience with kenwood or this amp?

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote author=oneill_sel link=topic=86020.msg1639963#msg1639963 date=1187136756]
specs
165 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
254 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
505 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms
Maximum Output 1,000 Watts.

Is this to much for the JBL GTO subs? This is the enwood eXcelon KAC-X522 2 Channel Amplifier 1000 Watt? Anyone have an experience with kenwood or this amp?
[/quote]

Acctually not enough. I still will get a mono block instead of a 2 channel. Those JTO are power hungry; you will need at least 600W RMS for both subs.
Mono blocks are often rated more conserative and put out more than their rated power.
I reccomennd these amps:
Kenwood KAC-8103D (500W at 2 ohm):
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5285

AudioBahn A8000T (800W at 2 ohm)
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=106

Pheonix Gold R8.0. My favorite pick, (800W at 2 ohm)
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=453

Good Luck

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so the Phoenix gold is good power? This isnt to much? I dont want to blow my subs. However you sound like you know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote author=oneill_sel link=topic=86020.msg1640501#msg1640501 date=1187146399]
so the Phoenix gold is good power? This isnt to much? I dont want to blow my subs. However you sound like you know what you are talking about.
[/quote]

Pheonix Gold , make very nice reliable amps. Those are amps that work and give you no issues. It is always better to overpower a sub than to under power it. Getting a 800W amp doesn't mean that you have to use all of them. It means that you will not be oerstressing the amp and you will always get clean power. Slightly extra power doesn't blow subs; it is unclean power or distorsion. I have a 300W JL 12w3v2 sub getting 400W for more than 3 years with no issues. I would reccomend professional installation; and the installer will set it up properly. Just tell him to set it up so it sounds as good as possible w/o blowing.

Good Luck:

PS After install don't play with the bass knob on the radio; you can turn it down if you like but not up. I am pretty sure the PG amp comes with remote bass knob that will allow you to control bass level from your seat.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
one more question when it says 800 watts is that RMS or peak? and is this 800w going to easy sub or just would it be 800 by 2? sorry just really confused about the hole amp deal.

·
Registered
221 Posts
if the amp brand is good; which Pheonix Gold is; it will only list RMS wattage. Peak is useless anyway. 800w is total output going to 2 speakers so 400W rms per sub. no problem and good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts