FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the ambient lighting in the cupholders on the forum:
http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=92286.msg1768132;boardseen#new

Would this be an easy install. Buy the cup holders and somehow work the wiring from the radio illum. wire? I'm really in love with this feature. And how do you switch it from red to white? I would prefer red all the time so if I could just get the red glow, switching wouldnt be needed. Let me know what you think.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=jwolfe815 link=topic=92858.msg1810989#msg1810989 date=1193394673]

Would this be an easy install. Buy the cup holders and somehow work the wiring from the radio illum. wire? I'm really in love with this feature. And how do you switch it from red to white? I would prefer red all the time so if I could just get the red glow, switching wouldnt be needed. Let me know what you think.
[/quote]

Hi jwolfe. :wavey: The simple answer is, no it would not be an easy install, at all.

·
Registered
840 Posts
why is it not an easy install? that panel comes off so easy. all you'd have to do is supply power to the lights....

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=benit0 link=topic=92858.msg1812347#msg1812347 date=1193429209]
why is it not an easy install? that panel comes off so easy. all you'd have to do is supply power to the lights....
[/quote]

Hi benit0. :wavey: Then, if that is all it takes, I am sure someone will do it soon and let us know just how easy it was. In my opinion, it will not be that simple for everbody, especially for someone who is not familiar with what it entails.

Could I do it? Yes. Could you do it? I would guess from your reply, the answer would be yes. Does that make it simple for everyone? No. How will he change the colors if all he does is run a power line to it (yes, I know he said he "just wants red", but that will probably quickly change)?

You have to remember that difficulty is relative. I am guessing that the forum member that asked the question does not have a lot of Automotive Repair skills. Otherwise, they would not have needed to ask the question. Might be a simple install for you. But common sense says when someone does not know what a job entails, it usually will not be simple for them.

And when someone who does not have much automotive skill begins haphazardly cutting into their wiring and winds up with electrical problems, the denial of the Warranty repairs may be much simpler.

Not trying to be a wiseguy, just inject a dose of reality.

It's a free country and everyone is free to do what they like to their cars, so good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Regardless, if what you're saying is what you believe than you're totally looking down on him as someone who "cant" do it. You should be more optimistic and open about it. The point of the forums is to HELP people with modifications they'd like to do, not discourage them from attempting it because someone believes they can't do it. Also, who are you to justify whats easy and whats hard? Earlier you said that some people have more automotive background and skill then others, you're labeling the modification as not easy when you may not even know what it involves. How do we know what your automotive background is anyways? Its not even automotive repair..

Not to mention, you have absolutely no posts in the "interior modification" section of the forums which may lead me to believe that you don't know what the mod may require, or any of the amount of wiring that may be needed.

I don't mean to go off, but most posts I've read from you either shoot down peoples ideas, or just suggest you have a better understanding than them.

Also, are you assuming he wants the full ambient light package? he may just want the cup holders to light up.

Jwolfe, i'd suggest doing some checking up on the part, see if its just a trim piece that replaces the existing cup holders with the leds/lights already in it. hell, their may be a bread board on there already attached to work the lights, and it just may need powering. i doubt its anything to crazy.
not to mention this should be in the interior modification section not exterior lighting ;D

also, i'm gonna check up on that since i think that looks amazing as well. If i can't find anything, ill drill some holes in the cup holders and pop some led's in there and wire em up to the lighter power internally. if you wanna do it your self, it shouldn't be any harder then crimping some leds with wires, and running it to the power w/ a resistor.

Also, underlining things and making them bold when you're trying to make a point makes it seem like you think everyones a child, and has to make sure they read the bold and underline. I feel like I'm talking with a principal of a middle school. Again, i apologize for being critical, I'm just annoyed that you brushed someone off so quickly.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I will admit though, you have some wonderfully insightful posts and i enjoy reading them, just some things bother me. thats all, also i have no grudge, i just have to vent. So I'm completely past it know, i just wanted you/everyone to know where i stand ;D

:hijacked: jokes jokes

·
Registered
331 Posts
It looks like it would be a difficult task. Here is a schematic of the system. There are several components and wiring that would have to be added and modified.

·
Registered
840 Posts
even then, buying the cupholder w/ the leds in it could easily be setup w/ a switch to just light up the cup holders. it doesn't have to have that effect that the package has.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=benit0 link=topic=92858.msg1812763#msg1812763 date=1193439652]
Regardless, if what you're saying is what you believe than you're totally looking down on him as someone who "cant" do it. You should be more optimistic and open about it. The point of the forums is to HELP people with modifications they'd like to do, not discourage them from attempting it because someone believes they can't do it. Also, who are you to justify whats easy and whats hard? Earlier you said that some people have more automotive background and skill then others, you're labeling the modification as not easy when you may not even know what it involves. How do we know what your automotive background is anyways? Its not even automotive repair..

Not to mention, you have absolutely no posts in the "interior modification" section of the forums which may lead me to believe that you don't know what the mod may require, or any of the amount of wiring that may be needed.

I don't mean to go off, but most posts I've read from you either shoot down peoples ideas, or just suggest you have a better understanding than them.

Also, are you assuming he wants the full ambient light package? he may just want the cup holders to light up.

Jwolfe, i'd suggest doing some checking up on the part, see if its just a trim piece that replaces the existing cup holders with the leds/lights already in it. hell, their may be a bread board on there already attached to work the lights, and it just may need powering. i doubt its anything to crazy.
not to mention this should be in the interior modification section not exterior lighting ;D

also, i'm gonna check up on that since i think that looks amazing as well. If i can't find anything, ill drill some holes in the cup holders and pop some led's in there and wire em up to the lighter power internally. if you wanna do it your self, it shouldn't be any harder then crimping some leds with wires, and running it to the power w/ a resistor.

Also, underlining things and making them bold when you're trying to make a point makes it seem like you think everyones a child, and has to make sure they read the bold and underline. I feel like I'm talking with a principal of a middle school. Again, i apologize for being critical, I'm just annoyed that you brushed someone off so quickly.
[/quote]

Hi benit0. :wavey: Glad you got that off your chest, and I have no hard feelings towards you for it. That being said, let me just answer a few of your observations. Seriously though, I really have no hard feelings, so please take this in the spirit of just answering your questions/statements.

Just so you understand, I look down on no one for whatever they can or cannot do. We all have our strong skill areas, and those areas where our skills are not quite as strong. At no time did I say he/she couldn't do it, only that I thought, in my opinion, that it wouldn't be an easy install.

That brings me to the underlining and bold letters (since I underlined in bold letters above :lmao:). I just do that to emphasize a point. If you notice, the phrases I underlined in my previous post were "In my Opinion", "will not be that simple for everybody" and "Warranty repairs may". Quite the opposite of how you took it, I was making it clear that I was not declaring anything as absolute just because I say it. Please don't take my bold letters and underlining as personal insults. It is merely to emphasize a word or phrase. The original poster was asking for opinions, I gave mine, as you gave yours that it would be an easy install.

You ask me, and I quote, "Also, who are you to justify whats easy and whats hard?" Well, how would you answer "Who are you to justify what's easy and what's hard?" You would be guilty of the same sin you condemned me for, since you state that in your opinion, it would be easy. You expressed your opinion that I was mistaken, so I replied, politely explaining why I thought it would not be easy.

At no point do I tell the original poster not to try. I just state that I do not think (underlined for emphasis that it is just my opinion, not a proven fact) it will be an easy install.

I also wanted to note (just for the fun of it :whistle:) that you say I have "absolutely no posts in the Interior Modification section." Were you assuming that because it shows no posts in my Profile section? If you look closely, the Profile sections for "The Most Popular Boards by Posts" and "The Most Popular Boards by Activity' only list the top 10 Boards you post on, not all your Board posts. I certainly do have posts in the Interior Modifications Board, not that it matters since the number of posts in a board has no correlation to knowledge in that area. Strangely enough, I looked back quickly and I actually have more posts in the "Interior Modification" section than you do (you only have 5), but the incomplete "Top Ten Boards" stats do not show that. But again, the number of posts a person has in a particular board means nothing. A forum member may have few posts and great knowledge, or many posts and little knowledge. In fact I would complement you by admitting that while you only have 5 posts there, I feel you have fine automotive knowledge! How's that for being a nice guy! :bowdown:

I am quite familiar with automotive repair and modifying, as I have built, rebuilt, repaired and modified many cars in the course of my life. I am probably older than most of the members of this forum, and speak from a certain amount of experience. That does not make me better than any other forum member, or worse. Just more experienced than some, and less experienced than others. I am now past the modifying cars part of my life, so I just try to help others with what I hope is helpful advice. Sometimes that advice will consist of "I don't think that is a very good idea". Everyone is free to take my advice (and every other forum members advice) or leave it. It is free!

In fact, if you look at some of my past posts, I tell people they should not always rely on my opinion, or the opinion of others on the Internet because you never know the qualifications of the person you are dealing with. :madthrow:

I did not assume he wanted the full ambient light package, as he stated he only wanted the cup holders, and only in red. I am also very familiar with what it would entail to do the installation.

I take it to heart and am a bit confused when you said, "I don't mean to go off, but most posts I've read from you either shoot down peoples ideas, or just suggest you have a better understanding than them". I usually only post when I feel I can truly help someone, and can answer their question with an overwhelming certainty that my answer is correct (and of some benefit). I hope you really don't believe that most of my posts shoot peoples ideas down? :cry: I will pay attention to your advice and try not to seem as though I "brushed someone off so quickly"!

Perhaps you feel I am too "blunt" or "to the point" sometimes? That's probably because as you get older you start to realize you have less time on earth, so you learn to be more "to the point". :lmao: I could be gone tomorrow you know! And trust me, by saying I'm older, I only mean older, not better or smarter. Hell, I wish I was 21 again! :joshers:

My writing style is just one I have acquired over many years of doing the things I do. I just happen to be in a line of work where very precise wording, action and behavior can have extremely desirable benefits for myself and others.

Anyway benit0, sorry for the term paper. No hard feelings, and I am glad you find some of my posts helpful (as I do yours!).

Hope we are still friends! :hug:

Good luck! :cheers:

PS - jwolfe. my apologies for temporarily hijacking your thread! Back to you now! :femgearhead:

·
Registered
840 Posts
no, i feel i understand you better. I'm glad you responded the way you did ;D

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm just so used to boards with an average hierarchy that posts like that just throw me off, its been a while since I've been on more of a mature board, the first thing i see, i label, and jump at. Mostly my misunderstanding if anything.

And, i did go through your posts and have realized you're just being overly nice, which on occasion i (and its something i do) see as hidden sarcasm.

mostly me just over analyzing, and being annoyed that i cut my finger on my headlight trying to open it tonight, lol :dur:

and i mean, i probably need stitches hahaha.

anyways, I'm sure we're both done with this now, have a good night. I'm gonna go change my band-aid.

·
Registered
367 Posts
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=92858.msg1812022#msg1812022 date=1193422082]
[quote author=jwolfe815 link=topic=92858.msg1810989#msg1810989 date=1193394673]

[/quote]

Hi jwolfe. :wavey: The simple answer is, no it would not be an easy install, at all.
[/quote]

As noted in the Center Console thread under Interior Modifications, Ford is now selling an Ambient Lighting retrofit kit for the Fusion. The MSRP is $270. Here is a link: http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/fas/b2c/print.asp?type=PRODDETAIL&id=1996&make=Ford&model=Fusion&year=2008

So, it appears that it may be a relatively easy installation, since it is being sold as an accessory! :D

·
Registered
840 Posts
makes me cry, since it says only 2008 and up.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=autoxr1 link=topic=92858.msg1837075#msg1837075 date=1194406443]

As noted in the Center Console thread under Interior Modifications, Ford is now selling an Ambient Lighting retrofit kit for the Fusion. The MSRP is $270. Here is a link: http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/fas/b2c/print.asp?type=PRODDETAIL&id=1996&make=Ford&model=Fusion&year=2008

So, it appears that it may be a relatively easy installation, since it is being sold as an accessory! :D
[/quote]

Hi autoxr1. :wavey: I had to say this (in good humor), :lmao: since you quoted me. "Then again, maybe it won't be an easy install"! :bash:

As benit0 already stated above, concerning applications, the link specifically only mentions the 2008 model. This is probably due to the fact that even 2008 cars ordered without the "Ambient Lighting" option will most likely already have some of the required wiring which the 2006-2007's do not have.

So it appears that it may not be a relatively easy installation on 2006-2007 models (which are the models we were discussing).

But again, "simple" and "hard" are relative terms. Someone with good automotive electrical knowledge may consider it a "Simple" installation. But let's not start that discussion again. :blah:

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
840 Posts
it also could be something stupid like the 2008 already has the hole precut for the button... haha, i'd as a dealer or someone who actually knows.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=benit0 link=topic=92858.msg1837948#msg1837948 date=1194450418]
it also could be something stupid like the 2008 already has the hole precut for the button... haha, i'd as a dealer or someone who actually knows.
[/quote]

Hi benit0! :wavey: Yep, "could be".

And I would agree that asking the Dealers Service Techs and Parts Manager would be the best bet. In this way, a person could compare what comes in the 2008 "Ambient Lighting" Accessory kit, and match it up to the wiring diagram which "ciscoford23" provided earlier in this thread. Then they can see exactly what is missing in a 2006-2007 model to make it work.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
331 Posts
If anyone wants I can send you the installation instructions for the kit plus wiring schematics for 2006-2007. PM me with an email address and what you would like me to send.

cisco

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.