FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up with the ambient lighting in my cup holder?

I have a 2019 Ford Fusion Titanium and all the ambient lighting in the doors, floorboards, etc work except the cup holder is half green and half blue. When I try and change the colors from the options the other lights work, except the cup holder which just dim a bit. Any thoughts?

· Administrator
6,179 Posts

I have a 2019 Ford Fusion Titanium and all the ambient lighting in the doors, floorboards, etc work except the cup holder is half green and half blue. When I try and change the colors from the options the other lights work, except the cup holder which just dim a bit. Any thoughts?
Hi Davey and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. It is possible you have some LED lights malfunctioning. Is your 2018 Fusion still within the 3 year/36,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty or an ESP Plan?

Good luck.

· Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
218 Posts
I only have 2020 Wiring Diagram, and the cup holder ambient lighting was removed for 2020, but I am sure it is the same as all the others, it gets 12v, ground, and a logic signal (which is different than older ones that had 3 RGB wires to each LED). I would guess there is an issue with the module itself. Not knowing enough details on the new setup or where it is, I don't have any better ideas.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Davey and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. It is possible you have some LED lights malfunctioning. Is your 2018 Fusion still within the 3 year/36,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty or an ESP Plan?

Good luck.
Thanks for welcome! Sadly it has passed the warranty, do you k ow if it’s possible to replace the lights and not the whole assembly

· Administrator
6,179 Posts
Thanks for welcome! Sadly it has passed the warranty, do you k ow if it’s possible to replace the lights and not the whole assembly
Hi Davey. I believe (but am not sure) you can replace the cupholder component. Best way to check parts availability would be to stop by the Parts Department of your local Ford Dealer and have them pull up the exploded diagram for the parts availability and pricing. Have your VIN handy.

Once you have a price and part number, you an negotiate with them or check for pricing with online Ford Parts sellers.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

· Registered
6 Posts

Hello! 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium here. Did you ever find a solution to this?

I'm having a similar issue that started exactly like yours last night. But it has now also spread to the foot LEDs- both of them and the console LED are not turning on at all. The passenger door now sometimes changes to whatever color it wants. Cupholder now stuck on blue.

I suspect a fuse but can't find the ambient lighting fuse on the diagram. Looks like that fuse in the 2018 model is in the #1 position on the passenger compartment fuse box but it says that one is unused in the owners manual.

You'll have to scroll down but here's an online guide I found- it shows the 2018 Ambient Light fuse, but not the 2019 or 2020

· Registered
4 Posts
Hello! 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium here. Did you ever find a solution to this?

I'm having a similar issue that started exactly like yours last night. But it has now also spread to the foot LEDs- both of them and the console LED are not turning on at all. The passenger door now sometimes changes to whatever color it wants. Cupholder now stuck on blue.

I suspect a fuse but can't find the ambient lighting fuse on the diagram. Looks like that fuse in the 2018 model is in the #1 position on the passenger compartment fuse box but it says that one is unused in the owners manual.

You'll have to scroll down but here's an online guide I found- it shows the 2018 Ambient Light fuse, but not the 2019 or 2020

i’m also having the exact issue. cup holder started glitching out and then all ambient lighting went out except the doors. did you end up finding the culprit? i don’t feel like bringing it in to the dealer for this lol! thanks

· Registered
6 Posts
i’m also having the exact issue. cup holder started glitching out and then all ambient lighting went out except the doors. did you end up finding the culprit? i don’t feel like bringing it in to the dealer for this lol! thanks
Sorry I never updated!

So I had a clogged drain in my sunroof that was leaking water into the headliner and center console. I was afraid that this was the culprit. It wouldn't have affected the doors tho. The water did short out half of the cup holder LEDs on the side I can't see anyway lol (only blue LED, ex. Purple looks red, blue and green look yellowish, etc). So my issue was twofold- water damaged the LED in the cup holders AND the other LEDs wouldn't change properly.

I know this sounds insane but after I updated the SYNC software, the issue resolved itself. I can't tell you if it was coincidence or the software, but I think its likely the software was the issue since it controls the LEDs. I'd hook my car up to wifi and check my software (or you can check the version online by entering your VIN here )

Good luck and I hope this helps! Come back and let us know if it works. I didn't say anything here before because I didn't have a direct answer I'm 100% sure of.

· Registered
4 Posts
Sorry I never updated!

So I had a clogged drain in my sunroof that was leaking water into the headliner and center console. I was afraid that this was the culprit. It wouldn't have affected the doors tho. The water did short out half of the cup holder LEDs on the side I can't see anyway lol (only blue LED, ex. Purple looks red, blue and green look yellowish, etc). So my issue was twofold- water damaged the LED in the cup holders AND the other LEDs wouldn't change properly.

I know this sounds insane but after I updated the SYNC software, the issue resolved itself. I can't tell you if it was coincidence or the software, but I think its likely the software was the issue since it controls the LEDs. I'd hook my car up to wifi and check my software (or you can check the version online by entering your VIN here )

Good luck and I hope this helps! Come back and let us know if it works. I didn't say anything here before because I didn't have a direct answer I'm 100% sure of.
Thanks for the reply! I updated my software on my sync to the latest firmware thinking it would fix it and it didn’t change anything. When you updated sync did it fix the floor lights, center console lights and cup holder lights all at once? I thought I read you saying it spread to the floor lights as well.

· Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I updated my software on my sync to the latest firmware thinking it would fix it and it didn’t change anything. When you updated sync did it fix the floor lights, center console lights and cup holder lights all at once? I thought I read you saying it spread to the floor lights as well.
It did spread to all of the lights. That's what I meant about the water leaking into the cupholder and console shouldn't have affected the floor and door lights so the water wasn't my problem- after the update all of the lights fixed at once. Actually it had changed my settings to have them off by default and when I turned them back on, they were all working.

Idk if this helps but the update that fixed them wasn't avaliable when the issue first started. It was a couple of weeks before it was avaliable and I had to manually check it online before it showed up on an update check.

I would keep checking SYNC but also there HAS to be a fuse that controls all of that. If it's not your SYNC it has some kind of short in it or a bad fuse somewhere. It just seems odd that it would be hardware if the lights work but they're just the wrong color. That seems like a software issue. Your last update may also have been corrupted if download got interrupted? But tbh all this electronic BS is pretty finicky.

If you find it lmk! I couldn't find a fuse assigned to that no matter how many diagrams I looked at.

· Registered
4 Posts
It did spread to all of the lights. That's what I meant about the water leaking into the cupholder and console shouldn't have affected the floor and door lights so the water wasn't my problem- after the update all of the lights fixed at once. Actually it had changed my settings to have them off by default and when I turned them back on, they were all working.

Idk if this helps but the update that fixed them wasn't avaliable when the issue first started. It was a couple of weeks before it was avaliable and I had to manually check it online before it showed up on an update check.

I would keep checking SYNC but also there HAS to be a fuse that controls all of that. If it's not your SYNC it has some kind of short in it or a bad fuse somewhere. It just seems odd that it would be hardware if the lights work but they're just the wrong color. That seems like a software issue. Your last update may also have been corrupted if download got interrupted? But tbh all this electronic BS is pretty finicky.

If you find it lmk! I couldn't find a fuse assigned to that no matter how many diagrams I looked at.
turns out that the cup holder lights were corroded and I cleaned both of them and they all started working except one light in the cup holder! so i’ll have to order new lights for the cup holder. previous owner must’ve spilt a bunch of water or soda and it leaked through.

· Registered
6 Posts
turns out that the cup holder lights were corroded and I cleaned both of them and they all started working except one light in the cup holder! so i’ll have to order new lights for the cup holder. previous owner must’ve spilt a bunch of water or soda and it leaked through.
Do you have a link to a breakdown for how to check that? And just curious a cost on the replacement lights when you see it? If it's cheap I might do it as a weekend project tbh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts