FordFusionClub.com banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

am I the only one?

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  bbf2530 
#1 ·
Okay so I see all the time people modifying headlights. But has anyone thought of custom tail lights? I'm talking about 2010+ fusions. I have been digging and haven't come up with anything. I was thinking of painting the honeycomb pattern black (if it's possible) has anyone tried opening up these taillights?

#2 ·
You're not alone. I've looked and haven't seen anything. Only thing people seem to do to them is tint them, which I am not a fan of. It can look cool on a black unit, but in general I find them to look kinda cheesy and unsafe. I was looking for a wrap style LED conversion, but other than making it yourself, I haven't had any luck.

#3 ·
You are not alone. I had an extra set that I tried to open up but in order to get them hot enough to get the glue apart the plastic ford used becomes too soft and its impossible to pry them apart. I have a set of LED brake lights and LED reverse lights allready to go but not sure how to get them apart without cutting them open. Very disapointed in ford for this. Hell cheap junk ebay tail lights use better quailty plastic then ford used.

#8 ·
a guy in the Middle East did an interesting mod to his fusion 10+ tail lights

he smoke bordered the edges and between the reverse and brake light

Now that I can get on board with. Unique look, sharper than stock, and still get all the visibility you need for other drivers. C'est beau.

#12 ·
I cut mine open with a drill and a dremel cutting tool. The dremel itself did not have enough power.

#16 ·
I don't think anyone has opened up the tail lights on a 2010-12 Fusion to do any kind of mod.

Only thing I've done - LED swap and I want to do apply a few coats of VHT Nightshades to darken then up a bit, along with the 3rd brake light. I also want to see what it would take to make the 3rd brake light illuminate entirely versus just the center.

#18 ·
Slightly off topic but, I have a 2010 milan with the LED taillights. Some component on the LED circuit card went bad (probably a 2 cent resistor) and the taillights would flicker. After purchasing a replacement I cut open the old one to do a post mortem. Assuming the Fusion and Milan assemblies are assembled the same way the lens is not glued on. It is radio frequency welded, no glue or sealant just the two plastic parts fused together. Instead of my Dremel I used one of my newer power tools in my arsenal. A variable speed vibrating multi-tool The little saw blade made quick work of the plastic casing. Had I been more careful, I could have easily glued the two parts back together with no evidence that it had been cut open.

#19 ·
I would be very surprised if they used HF welding on the tail lamps given the product of which they are made of.

Anywho, in terms of tail light modifcation - there is not much out there. Simply because..why?? YOU don’t see your tail lights. People behind you do.

Headlights are so popular because that’s a modification in which you can see quite often. However most folks are idiots and don’t research but if you actually learn about headlights you can understand that you can have some impressive light output.

In terms of tail lights - auto manufactures already do a fantastic job of this. The kids that tint their tail lights not only don’t have a clue about opitcs they simply just think cool is > safety.

I’ll admit, I was once their age too. But as I get older I learn more and get past all the “cool” things to impress those around me. Thankfully we have easier access to information to get the word out there. Something I didn’t have when I was growing up!! I wanted to look up information, I had to GO HOME, wait for the phone line to be free and DIAL UP to the internet. Member those days??

Anywho, not much you can do the the tail lamps. Your best bet is to get aftermarkets that have a clear lens and dress up the insides. Altering the bulbs (LED in replacement of incandescent) or “tinting” is not always a great idea. It’s near the same as filling your tires with propane. you can do it, but is it safe and practical?

#22 ·
basscannon...sorry we had to close your modified taillight thread due to all the off-topic arguing. If you are still interested in more information, please start a new thread and hopefully it will stay on-topic from the beginning.

Thanks and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.