FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife took possession of a new SEL V6 on Saturday. We ordered 18" chrome rims and tires to replace the factory 17" combo. The dealership told us they keep the factory tires and wheels because it's considered a "trade-in." The new wheel/tire combo will cost us $1,800 and obvipously we get nothing for the "old" (less than 50 miles) factory wheels and tires, which I estimate to be worth at least $1,200.

Does this seem right? I never heard of a "wheel and tire trade-in"

·
Registered
79 Posts
[quote author=mrlukeplease link=topic=70081.msg1221023#msg1221023 date=1172074786]
My wife took possession of a new SEL V6 on Saturday. We ordered 18" chrome rims and tires to replace the factory 17" combo. The dealership told us they keep the factory tires and wheels because it's considered a "trade-in." The new wheel/tire combo will cost us $1,800 and obvipously we get nothing for the "old" (less than 50 miles) factory wheels and tires, which I estimate to be worth at least $1,200.

[/quote]

I'd say they are ripping you off unless you are leasing the vehicle I don't see how they could keep the 17" wheels as a trade in unless you agree to it.

If you would have shopped any of the wheel sites on the internet you would have easily found a set of 18" wheels and tires for LESS than $1800 and you could have kept your 17" wheelset to use in the winter if weather is an issue.

Bottom Line, Sounds like U got Jacked.

Kiv :eek:perator:

·
Registered
619 Posts
To figure out it your getting a good deal, you need to compare what it would cost for the same set of chrome 18s from any other place, such as www.tirerack.com. My guess is it would probably be about the same. So you'd be better off buying the car stock, then adding the wheels yourself and selling the originals. I doubt you'd get $1200 for them though.

The dealer does not know any more about what 18in tires work on a Fusion any better than a good tire store. 18s are not approved, tested or recommended by Ford engineering, thus what your getting is 100% the dealer's choice.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Going to a tire shop as well lets you chose the acctual style of Rim/ tire you want. I could have saved $100 a rim by going with any chrome 20" rim. The nice looking styles cost money.

·
Registered
135 Posts
[quote author=mrlukeplease link=topic=70081.msg1221023#msg1221023 date=1172074786]
The dealership told us they keep the factory tires and wheels because it's considered a "trade-in." The new wheel/tire combo will cost us $1,800 and obvipously we get nothing for the "old" (less than 50 miles) factory wheels and tires, which I estimate to be worth at least $1,200.
[/quote]
That is definately a rip off considering you can opt to purchase your own rims & tires for cheaper than $1800 and you will still have your factory rims to sell or keep in storage for winter months.

I say cancel the deal on the 18's from the dealer and purchase them yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I priced the rims and tires at tirerack.com and the price they're asking is reasonable--not great but reasonable. The dealership said they'd warranty the rims with the rest of the car, which is good.

The big problem, though, is the fact that the dealership told us they'd keep the original wheels and tires. I already paid for them. What am I gonna do with them? Don't know--the tires may fit my Mazda6 and that would save me $800 when my tires need to be replaced. Probably not much of a market for the rims, eBay has several sets on sale and nobody's biting. But I hate the thought that the dealership is trying to keep them when I already paid for them.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and observations!

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts

[/quote]

Hi mrlukeplease. First things first, good luck with your new Fusion!

Now, in answer to your question. On face value, it looks as though they are trying to "pull a fast one". If you are getting "nothing" for the old set, that is not a "trade in". I would call it more of a "legal theft". If I "trade in" a used car towards a new car purchase, I receive a "trade in" credit towards the new car purchase. While $1800 for the new wheel/tire package may be a decent deal (taking your word for it), it is not a good deal when you factor in the supposed "trade in" of the original equipment wheels/tires.

Now if the Dealer claims they are giving you a "trade in" credit, how much is it? For example: If the original equipment set is being kept as a "trade in" towards the new wheels/tires, how much of a credit are they extending to you towards the new purchase? They should have a "trade in" value. Two Hundred dollars? Five Hundred? Six Hundred? They should have some amount of "trade in" value, or credit, and it should be listed in your purchase agreement.

If the Dealer is giving you a $500 (or substitute any amount the Dealer may claim) "trade in" credit, that should come off your purchase price for the new wheels/tires. If they say they already took off that credit, that means you have now paid $2300 for the set ($1800 +$500 = $2300). Doesn't seem like such a good deal at that price. If $1800 was "not great but reasonable", more than $1800 would be a pretty bad price.

As far as the new wheels/tires being warranted with the car, that is no great bargain for the premium price you are paying for the new set. They will only be covered for "defects in workmanship", same as they would be if you bought them from any reputable retailer (i.e. Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc.), where you would get a better price and keep your original set.

If I were you, I would cancel the purchase until you have some time to think about it. With the money you save purchasing elsewhere, you could probably buy a set of snow tires (if you need snows where you are located?), mount them on the "old" 17's, and keep your new wheels out of the winter elements, rock salt, etc.

At the very least, ask the Dealer some specific questions as to the "trade in" credit they claim to be giving you towards your new wheel/tire purchase. If there is no credit, you should keep your original equipment set.

Just a few thoughts and observations. Whatever you decide to do, good luck with your new car! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

Made noise at the dealership. Got to keep the original rims and Michelins. Checked the cost to purchase the Roxs chrome rims and Pirelli P Zeros and the dealership-quoted price was reasonable, about what we'd pay off-lot. They gave us a free $4,000-coverage warranty (retailed for $595, they refunded the money) for the rims/tires on top of the factory 3-yr/30K warrant. Dealership bent over backwards to make things right, so we're happy. And the rims look great!

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=mrlukeplease link=topic=70081.msg1242267#msg1242267 date=1172787657]
Update:

Made noise at the dealership. Got to keep the original rims and Michelins. Checked the cost to purchase the Roxs chrome rims and Pirelli P Zeros and the dealership-quoted price was reasonable, about what we'd pay off-lot. They gave us a free $4,000-coverage warranty (retailed for $595, they refunded the money) for the rims/tires on top of the factory 3-yr/30K warrant. Dealership bent over backwards to make things right, so we're happy. And the rims look great!
[/quote]

Hi mrlukeplease! Thanks for the update! I was wondering what the final outcome was to your problem. Glad everything worked out to your satisfaction!
Good luck! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same question, I havent asked the dealer yet because it is too late and the thought of them trying to keep my wheels didnt cross my mind until I saw this thread. So anyways I too am thinking about getting aftermarket wheels through the dealer. Is it common for them to keep the OEM wheels and tires? How much credit or trade in should I expect from the OEM wheels and tires. Any thoughts would be great.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=decibels5 link=topic=70081.msg1551152#msg1551152 date=1184207276]
Same question, I havent asked the dealer yet because it is too late and the thought of them trying to keep my wheels didnt cross my mind until I saw this thread. So anyways I too am thinking about getting aftermarket wheels through the dealer. Is it common for them to keep the OEM wheels and tires? How much credit or trade in should I expect from the OEM wheels and tires. Any thoughts would be great.
[/quote]

Hi decibels5. :wavey: To save some of us a lot of typing, please read the previous posts (including my long explanatory one) in this thread.

Short version, no, it is not uncommon, but neither are muggings and robbery. However, you certainly don't want it to happen to you.

Many Dealers will try to get away with whatever you will let them. You will usually not get a proper credit for your OEM wheels and tires if you trade them at the Dealership.

To cut to the chase. You can usually get a much better deal buying aftermarket through a reputable wheel/tire distributor (Tire Rack, Discount Tire, just to name two quick ones). You will usually not get the best deal through a new car dealer.

Do some research, shop around and get your best prices from as many suppliers as possible for what you like, then see if the Dealer will beat or match your best deal. Then make your decision.

For more info, read the previous posts in this thread. Then decide if you still want to buy through the Dealer.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Also keep in mind that the dealer does not know anything more about aftermarket wheels/tires then any other tire shop. Ford does not test or recommend any non-factory wheel installations, so don't think that if you get it at the dealer it will somehow be safer or more reliable than what you get anywhere else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just in case this question comes up again. From my experience and not opinion, my dealer does not want, take, or get my OEM wheels if I buy aftermarket wheels through them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts