FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I need to see how many of you guys out here have had this issue or have heard of it and if any what can I do to be more effective with Ford on getting them to warranty this.

I recently took my car to an outside shop to have the alignment checked and done. While I was there they told me that the car couldn't be aligned properly in the front left (passenger side) because the caster and camber cannot be adjusted anymore or in the case of caster it cannot be adjusted. They also said that something might be bent and that might be a cause. Needless to say I payed got in my car and off to Ford I went. While there they said that there was nothing bent and that they had gotten the car straight again and that the caster was not an issue....I payed and off I went. Everything was back to normal for 3 days then the problem started again. I took it back to them explained that the issue was there again, and they told me that the car was in alignment and that there was nothing that they could do to it anymore, they also stated that they drove it for about 20 minutes and never noticed a pull or a wander. I take the car back and on my way home I call up the service guy and tell him that I am coming back and that I want him to drive it and tell me that there is nothing wrong because I disagree. After he drove it with me in the car he noted that there is a hard pull to the right not only at freeway speeds but also on side streets. Today I get a phone call that they know what the issue is and that they now want to charge me for new tie rods that are adjustable more than the stock ones because the stock are at their max and they cannot adjust any further. He claims that there is a 12,000 mile warranty on alignment and that when I brought it into them about this alignment issue I was at 12,050 miles so that is why it is not a warranty part????

Is this a case that I can argue or what, because as far as I am concerned they should have to warranty it since the car is under it's 36/60,000 mile warranty and that they had fixed it when they had first aligned it and now it's all back out of whack.....

Btw... 2007 Fusion I-4 5sp

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Would it not be an ongoing situation that was not fixed when they had the opportunity before the warranty ran out? That sounds rather "scamish" to me. Make 'em fix your car! Maybe some of the techs will chime in with what they know about this. Good luck

·
Registered
833 Posts
While the an alignment per se may not be a warranty item at 12,050 miles, if we think along their twisted line of thought, the tie rods would still be under warranty and therefore the alignment also. Unless something is bent you should have a solid case to fight.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
If an alignment is required after fixing the part, from what I have been told, the alignment will be done. If the piece is replaced and the car is still in alignment, I doubt you'll get another one.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Dog,

I agree with one of the previous posts, they are totally trying to scam you. 50 miles out of warranty, what are they kidding?! When you took it to the alignment shop, on the work order, they should have a record of the mileage. If this is within the 12,000 it is your proof that there was a problem noted by professional technicians prior to you going to Ford. If the guy says you should have come to Ford, then just tell him you were worried about safety and went to the closest place to enure the car was safe to drive.
If the mileage was past the 12,000 when you took it to the alignment shop, then speak to the service manager and then the business manager, and then the owner and then Ford headquarters. If none of this works, then there are too many publications who live off your kind of story and will make Ford look so stupid they will gladly fix your car. As a matter of fact, as you are working your way up the ranks at the dealership, remind those people that if you take your story public, the dealership will lose a lot of business. Let's face it, there are some people who don't get their oil changed exactly when the maintenance schedule says. And if this is how the dealership is going to treat people, then nobody is going to use them to service the car, which is where the dealership makes it's big $ revenue.
I disagree that the alignment of a car is covered under warranty, but agree that the parts are covered under warranty. If you drive through pot holes all day and throw the alignment out, why should this be covered under warranty as it clearly isn't a manufacturing defect. This is just an example and I'm not saying you personally did something per say.
Stupid question but have you checked your tire pressure to see if they are all the same?
Please keep us posted & good luck getting the fix.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Run away from that dealer! There is no such thing as "longer tie rods". If they have run out of thread on your car there is something seriously wrong that has never happened before in the history of Ford Motor Company. The only way this would be possibly is if your steering gear was too short. Steering gears are never too short. Even if they replaced the tie rods, it would have NO EFFECT ON DRIFT/PULL since that is domintated by camber and caster, it cannot be affected by toe.

What does exist is a replacement upper control arm that can be used to control the caster. This part is covered under warranty, in fact it's one of the top warranty claims on the Fusion line. If they're really trying to stick it to you over 50 miles, then find another place.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow bitchin responses I agree I just wanted to see what you guys thought on this. The problem is and remains that I had the car aligned from Ford and it worked fine for 3 days then it went out of alignment again from just normal driving, NO HARD TURNS OR HITTING ANYTHING! My problem is that it should be covered and if the alignment was working after they had it then what is the problem now? The guys at the 1st shop told me was that the caster was off .5 over the max allowance according to their printout. Now that is a lot there is no reason for that. But then Ford tells me that it is not that bad and that there was nothing bent according to what they can see......to me it sounds like as usual that Ford is going to do whatever they can to not take the blame on this and make me pay for it.

About the alignment issue for the 12,000 miles I don't get that story to me it makes no sense. If there is a part that could have fixed it why are they telling me about it now and why not tell me when I first brought it in? This is another battle that will have to be played very carefully with them apparently. I have checked everything per each time I know I am driving more than 10-15 miles. The roads and highways here in Southern California really do suck but the problem is that once aligned the car should remain that way no matter what the road conditions are. The point that I made to them is that there are no "good days and bad days" with an alignment.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Go about it in this manner. Alignment on these cars is limited to toe-in(out) in the front. Toe-in(out) will not make the car pull. Ask for a printout of the alignment they did. Either it is within spec or not. If it is out of spec and nothing is bent...it's simple...fix it. Also, even when it is within spec it can still pull. Since they agreed that it pulled then there is a problem. Ford make "service" control arms that give some adjustment in the alignment (caster) See the post below for more info. Also, alignment itself is covered for 12,000 miles. Since this started before that it is an ongoing problem. Besides all that, if the car was tracking fine at some point and nothing is bent then something sounds like it may not have been torqued properly and shifted. The subframe can affect the alignment also. When my car was brand new I had an issue, it pulled right. It was within spec, but they agreed that there was a pull. They adjusted the subframe and it has been fine ever since. Good luck!

http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=73338.msg1300908#msg1300908

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info I appreciate it, and will use that next time I talk to them. My biggest question is does Ford really have a leg to stand on in this by even asking or telling me that I have to pay for this? I understand what the issue is here, but I am not sure how to be effective without being an asshole to them....since honey does get more bees than smoke. What should my process be?

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I first got my car (06 se) I talso pulled to the right. I went in and they put the upper control arm replacement on mine as that is the only way to adjust the caster camber. If you go to the parts department and ask them about it they will tell you there is about 4 or 5 different parts numbers for each side depending on the degree that is needed. I din't have any issues with my dealer since I work for them! :) sorry to hear your getting the shaft though. It is def. something they should fix though!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after all my arguments with the service mgr, service director, and Ford HQ I have gotten no where. They have all told me that there is nothing that can be done under warranty since it was over the 12,000/12 month warranty. So there is nothing that I can even look towards doing. My last bet is to call the Customer Relations person at the dealership as well as the GM, and complain to them that this is complete bullshit and that what they are doing is crap. I know that they could fudge the mileage on the service ticket and make it go past for warranty but when I even asked them they acted like I was holding a gun or something. This is complete bullshit and I cannot believe that Ford is going to pull this on me when I have purchased 4 cars/trucks from them and have sent numerous friends and family to them as well, I would have to say that I will never buy another car from this dealership and maybe even another Ford.

Now they want to charge me $61 per A arm, $80 for labor and another $90 for a new alignment when I just had it done and it lasted for 3 days. The cost is not an issue I am not that cheap I just don't find it to be justified to ask me to pay them all this money when the car is still a baby.

If anyone has any new advice I am all ears, otherwise I am just going to keep on keepin with this one.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yes, speak to the GM, Owner etc; also contact Ford again. The warranty on the vehicle is 3years/36,000 miles bumper to bumper. Look at your owners manual carefully. "What is covered" and "What is not covered" See this: Some maintenance and wear items have limited coverage, as follows:
• wheel alignments and tire balancing
(unless required by a warranty
repair)
are not covered
beyond 12 months or 12,000
miles, whichever occurs first

Also,toward the end of the book "The Dispute Settlement Board"

HOW DOES THE BOARD WORK?
The Dispute Settlement Board offers a free independent process for resolving
warranty disputes. You may apply to the Board if you are an eligible
owner of a Ford Motor Company vehicle in the United States.
For details, please refer to your Owner Guide. For a
brochure/application, speak to your dealer or write to:
Dispute Settlement Board
P.O. Box 1424
Waukesha, WI 53187-1424
1-800-428-3718

Push back, there is no way that you should not be covered (unless something is bent, which they said is not the case). Good Luck! I know we are all pulling for you!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome thanks for that info I must have skipped over some of that in my fit of range while reading my booklet. Also I am not sure if I stated this before.....but they don't know with 100% certaincy that there isn't anything bent they also want to charge me $85 to do a diagnostic on the car to determine what it "might" be. The alignment tech only looked over everything and determined that there was nothing that looked bent to the naked eye (interesting huh?). So I will wait until the customer relations lady gets back to me and then go to the GM next and worst case I will have to call into the dispute office.

Also I am not asking them to fix the alignment, I want them to fix why the alignment keeps going out and why the arms weren't just replaced regardless to make the problem go away. They never even mentioned it to me that it is something that I might want to look into later if the caster is still way off. My biggest problem is that the alignment is not staying in place for more than 4 days.....and I want the solution for that w/o paying a dime.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I have argued my case with the GM of the dealership as well as the Customer Relations lady there as well and they will not budge on this issue period. They are now telling me that the total cost on this is going to be $275 for everything to be done and that will solve my problem. My only other route that I could take is calling the warranty claims dispute, but that could take up to a month to even get some kind of resolution and god knows how long to get Ford to fix this, as my problem just gets worse and worse. I guess Ford wins this battle since I just can't seem to wait any longer.

·
Registered
833 Posts
A: Have you spoken to Ford about the "Bumper to Bumper" warranty? What good is the 36,000 mile warranty if something is not covered?

B: Call the Claims dispute department anyway. You may be able to file the claim and be reimburst for the repairs. See what they say.

C: How about another dealership?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A: I have spoken to them and for reference the A arms are ONLY covered under the 12,000/ 12 month warranty it is considered an alignment piece so only covered there.

B: I have the packet on the way to start litigations with Ford over this bullshit, but the amount of time it takes ya know if I pay it I doubt that they will do much (worthless company)

C: Already took my car to a dealership in Irvine near me and they have told me the exact same thing and by the time I got it into them it was at 12,600 so they were not going to even try to warranty it.

So I am up shit creek w/o a paddle :x

·
Registered
14 Posts
My best suggestion is quit f-ing around with the service managers and the like.........they don't want to service cars for free as stated before a big chunk of their profit is generated from $80 an hour labor charges. Go to the guy that sold you the car and tell him either you can be a happy customer, or an unhappy customer.......but that is up to him. Don't worry about being an A-hole as this strategy has worked wonders in my car owning days.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Personally when it has gotten to this point, I don't even trust the guys to work on the car anymore, unless I stand right next to the car watching them.

Good luck with the fix.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Wow... this disturbs me a great deal, because I drove my '08 right back to the dealer the morning after I took it home because it was pulling to the right more than I thought it should. This car had 600 miles worth of dealer-to-dealer mileage on it, so somebody should've noticed it before me (maybe that's why nobody bought it from teh first two dealers!!!). They swapped the tires around and called it fixed. Now it pulls less, but to the left instead of the right. I heard the same thing... alignment is spot-on, nothing to adjust... it's the way the front end is designed... need to rotate the tires every 10K miles to keep it right. Coincidentally, I had the '03 Escape in a few days before for the exact same thing after they replaced the rack&pinion and alilgned it... same story, same fix... rotate the tires. That vehicle hadn't ever pulled that badly before.

Based on this thread, I'm gonna drop in at another dealer and have it looked at. For sure now, that'll irritate the hell outta me forever!

·
Registered
619 Posts
If rotating the tires was enough to turn the pull from right to left, then I believe the dealer, the alignment must be good. The conicity of a tire is the measure of how parallel the tread surfaces are, or you could say it is the difference in height between the inner and outer sidewall. Ideally it would be zero, but in mass production there's always some variation. As a result, the tires are sorted by the tire manufacturer into high/low and left/right conicities. Then Ford will put tires of only one of those combination on the car. Even if the tires have high conicity, if all 4 are the same, they will cancel each other out and the car won't pull.

Sounds like your problem is that you car has a mixed set of tires. This could be a plant error or it could be one of the three dealers replaced one tire for some reason. What I recommend would be to rotate either the front or rear from left to right, leaving the other end alone. Eventually you will find the optimum combination.

But if you're going to have them check the alignment again, make sure you ask them what the split is between the caster numbers in the front. If it's anything more than 0.5, you should ask them to change one or both of the upper control arms, per the TSB. They might refuse though, since 0.5 is still within spec.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts