FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with alignment issues? My Fusion steering wheel goes to the left and the car goes to the right and im just wondering if anyone has this issue and if you taken the car to get it fixes? the air pressure is at 40. Any comments will be appreciated.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Swapping the tires will either eliminate the tires as the iissue or point tothem as the culprit. How many miles on the car? Alignment should be covered for the first 12,000 miles under warranty. 40 lbs seems a little much for the air pressure. Has the car always been this way? If yoyu take it in for an alignment check and they say it is "within spec" ask the service manager to go for a ride with you. My Milan was the same way, steering wheel tilted to the left, car favored going right. The steering wheel is an easy fix. The drifting is a little harder. There are a couple of ways to attack the problem. My dealer was able to shift the subframe and that gave some adjustment to the caster/camber (which is basically not adjustable). For my car that worked out. The other way is that Ford does has "service" upper control arms that were designed to compensate for the same problem, but one post I read stated that it did not work on his car. Let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Good post eiching1, you've mentioned the only two ways to affect the drift: shifting the subframe or installing the "service" upper control arms. Rear camber can also contribute, so make sure that it is the same on both sides. Remember the actual amount of camber/caster doesn't really matter, it's the difference between the left and right sides that causes drift. And as you mentioned the steering wheel centering has nothing to do with any of this, it's a separate issue related to the position with respect to the front toe links.

40psi is way to much for the tires, you should be at 33 for 17s or 34 for 16s. I actually prefer to run 32 on my 16s.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the tires say maximum pressure is 44 so i have it on 40. Well I drop of my car today and I mention to them also the squeaking of the belt, lack of acceleration power, high rpm idle on start and the alignment. Ill get back to you guys to see whats going on.

·
Registered
619 Posts
[quote author=douglas307 link=topic=60916.msg1041353#msg1041353 date=1162254968]
Well the tires say maximum pressure is 44 so i have it on 40.
[/quote]

Your oven probably goes up to 500 degrees, but that doesn't mean you should cook everything at that temperature! The maximum label on the side of the tire has nothing to do with the optimal pressure for the vehicle. The optimal pressure is printed on the sticker on the driver's door. This is the pressure recommended by Ford after considering all the variables that go into the dynamics of the car, including the tendancy to drift.

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=Waldo link=topic=60916.msg1042158#msg1042158 date=1162301721]
[quote author=douglas307 link=topic=60916.msg1041353#msg1041353 date=1162254968]
Well the tires say maximum pressure is 44 so i have it on 40.
[/quote]

Your oven probably goes up to 500 degrees, but that doesn't mean you should cook everything at that temperature! The maximum label on the side of the tire has nothing to do with the optimal pressure for the vehicle. The optimal pressure is printed on the sticker on the driver's door. This is the pressure recommended by Ford after considering all the variables that go into the dynamics of the car, including the tendancy to drift.
[/quote]
Waldo,
Guess Douglas307 quit posting. Now we'll never know whether or not his problem was solved and how. Bummer. Boz

·
Registered
39 Posts
My steering wheel also is to the left a little. It bugs the hell out of me but I will get it checked at the first service.Of course you know what the service dept is going to say.. I don't see anything wrong with it or it's the roads fault. There is a tendency for the steering wheel to go left because some roads have more crown than others. Another thing you always read on these forums is tire pressure. Don't owners read the manual or look at the door jamb? Sometimes I raise the pressure two pounds are so but that is it. Running high pressures will only wear out the center of the tread.
You can rotate the tires to see if it will help but you have to rotate them according to the manual. all cars are not rotated the same way.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My alignment was a little off and it got taken care off, now when im driving the steering wheel is not pulling to the left. But my new issue is when I'm in a complete stop and I accelerate the car it pulls to the right just a bit. I'm being lazy right now and I will make a appointment one of these days.

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=douglas307 link=topic=60916.msg1150769#msg1150769 date=1168889829]
My alignment was a little off and it got taken care off, now when im driving the steering wheel is not pulling to the left. But my new issue is when I'm in a complete stop and I accelerate the car it pulls to the right just a bit. I'm being lazy right now and I will make a appointment one of these days.
[/quote]
I may be off base here -- in which case someone on this forum is sure to correct me -- but I thought all (or most) FWD cars pull to the right under hard acceleration. Is this a misconception on my part? Boz

·
Registered
833 Posts
I can tell you from my experience that I believe the slight pull from a dead stop is considered normal (at least in these cars). I had alignment issues with my Milan as well (see previous post). I drove my salesman's car and it did the same thing. The service manager said his does it also. Welcome to Ford (Mercury).... old problems that other companies have resolved long ago. My guess is that "It costs to much to engineer a fix" for a problem that most people do not complain about or notice. Typical American car company.

I have been driving front wheel drive cars since 1978. Torque steer was common then but most companies have taken care of it pretty well. The last few Hondas and Mazdas I had were fine. Also, the pull from torque steer could be right or left depending upon the design of the vehicle.

·
Registered
619 Posts
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=60916.msg1150888#msg1150888 date=1168893244]
Typical American car company.
[/quote]

Well everything on the Fusion that could affect torque steer was designed by Mazda, in Japan, so I don't think it's fair to blame "American car companies".

In fact the torque steer on the Edge was so bad with the original Mazda suspension that Ford had to completely redesign it. Go out and drive a CX9 vs an Edge and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
833 Posts
All I know is that the 2004 Mazda 6, 2003 Mazda Protege or the 2003 Mazda Tribute my wife & I have owned did not exhibit any torque steer. Also, the numerous Hondas, except way back, were fine. This is my first American car since 1975 so it is a natural assumption on my part. Along with the other issues I see with my car lead me to make the statement about "American car companies". I do not doubt what you have to say. My understanding is that this is a Mazda 6 platform. So all the more reason that it should not exist.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The Mazda6 and the Fusion have the same suspension, so if your 6 had no torque steer, your Fusion shouldn't either. Maybe your Fusion has an alignment issue.

Also, every FWD car has torque steer. On some models it's less than others, but it's still there.

·
Registered
833 Posts
It did have an aligment issue which was corrected. To get back to douglas307 issue of the slight pull from a dead stop. I believe that this is a trait of these cars, unfortunately!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been to the local ford dealership 3 times for my alignment problem! 1st time, they checked the alignment...they say, "it's within spec". 2nd time, they swapped the tires yada, yada. 3rd time, they had it for a week, changed both A-arms. The damn thing still pulls to the right!

Does anyone know if there's adjustment within the A-arm itself? Is it an adjustable piece?

I recently got involved with the service manager, so I'll bring it in one last time. If it doesn't get fixed this time, I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I believe they have some adjustment and therre are two different repalcements for each side. Also, as I said in a post above they adjusted my subframe to take care of my pulling issue. I was first told that it was "in spec" . However, once the service manager went for a ride with me, he agreed that it was pulling to the right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I doubt very seriously if the majority of us will ever get satisfaction. Most of the dealerships always think we are ignorant and have no idea what we are talking about. I asked my dealer to check my car for the same problem(pulling to the right) so they rotated the tires and said they don't have the updated specs for their alignment machine for the o7 models. I find that unacceptable for a Ford dealer to even say that.It is almost the middle of 07 and they can't get specs.
A lot of these dealers can replace things but don't even take the time to properly troubleshoot the problem,mainly because they think we don't have one or the people doing the checking are not competent enough to know what they are doing.
As far as the tire pressure is concerned,I usually run two pounds over what the door sticker calls for. That does help handling a little without affecting the comfort too much. Running too much pressure doesn't do any good and will wear the tire in the center. Underinflated wears out the inner and outer tread.
Good Luck everybody on the problem. If someone finds the answer please let us all know. :frown:

·
Registered
619 Posts
[quote author=foxforever link=topic=60916.msg1375222#msg1375222 date=1177952167]
I've been to the local ford dealership 3 times for my alignment problem! 1st time, they checked the alignment...they say, "it's within spec". 2nd time, they swapped the tires yada, yada. 3rd time, they had it for a week, changed both A-arms. The damn thing still pulls to the right!

Does anyone know if there's adjustment within the A-arm itself? Is it an adjustable piece?

I recently got involved with the service manager, so I'll bring it in one last time. If it doesn't get fixed this time, I don't know what to do.
[/quote]

The arm is not adjustable, but there are three to choose from for each side (including the original), so by combining them in different ways you can achieve different alignments. They could have incorrectly chosen arms that offset each other, thus there was no change in the vehicle. Did they give you a print out of the alignment specs? If not, get one next time, then we can really help you out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts