FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where this fits exactly, but its in regards to the airbag light. Lately whenever I start my car the airbag light will remain lit on the speedometer, but it does not occur everytime. I'm assuming that the light is to alert me of a malfunctioning or disconnected airbag, but I have never fooled with the airbags or disconnected anything myself. The car is an 09 S manual that has less than eight k on it. I have only been in one bad wreck that caused the whole front and rear bumper covers, absorbers and reinforcement on the frame to be replaced from being hit from behind. I'm unaware if this plays any impact on the situation, but tossing it in there just incase. Is it something that should be looked into or something common?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes - get that checked ASAP. Your car is still under warrany (I assume). You can not chance a malfunctioning airbag. Durn thing might not go off when needed !!!!!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mine does the same thing from time to time. It only started after I rear-ended a truck. I noticed the light and took it in but they said nothing was wrong. It went away for a year or so then just came back recently. Took it back and they said nothing is wrong with it. So, not really sure what the deal is.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If the airbag light is illuminated, there should be a stored fault code - even if it was only illuminated once, the code should have been stored.

Most of the time, an airbag fault illumination can be for (but not limited to):

1) bad steering wheel clockspring
2) failing, failed or damaged front crash sensors (usually mounted to or near the front radiator support)
3) crash sensor connectors that have been poorly connected (ie: loose) or connectors in which the wiring has become damaged
4) disconnected airbag(s)
5) missing or disconnected airbag module (usually located under the dash, sometimes on driver side or behind center console)

In the event of a frontal collision, depending on speed and where the impact occured, normally the airbag crash sensors will be damaged (or destroyed). These should always be checked and/or replaced by the body shop performing the repair work on that vehicle.

To my knowledge, with most airbag equipped vehicles, there are no rear crash sensors to trip any frontal or side airbags.

Depending on how long ago the repairs were done to the vehicle and if possible, I would take it back to the repair facility or body shop and tell them about the problem. I would do that before going back to a Dealer if it's under warranty (being so new), only because the shop that initially fixed it should check the vehicle over.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shop I got it fixed at was a dealership so either way I hope to find an answer. Thanks for the insight.

·
Super Moderator
5,737 Posts
[quote author=achieve link=topic=166021.msg3519040#msg3519040 date=1264708162]
I don't know where this fits exactly, but its in regards to the airbag light. Lately whenever I start my car the airbag light will remain lit on the speedometer, but it does not occur everytime. I'm assuming that the light is to alert me of a malfunctioning or disconnected airbag, but I have never fooled with the airbags or disconnected anything myself. The car is an 09 S manual that has less than eight k on it. I have only been in one bad wreck that caused the whole front and rear bumper covers, absorbers and reinforcement on the frame to be replaced from being hit from behind. I'm unaware if this plays any impact on the situation, but tossing it in there just incase. Is it something that should be looked into or something common?
[/quote]

Hi achieve. :wavey: Another possibility to look into is the battery. If the battery is weak or failing in todays cars, it can lead to airbag warning lights and other electrical anomalies.

Keep us updated.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
22 Posts
i also get the airbag light once in a while.. i have never had an accident or even bumped anything. i just shut the car off and turn it back on and no light. going to get it checked out when i get the recall fixed on it. good luck getting yours taken care of.

·
Registered
577 Posts
When my battery was starting to die, I was getting the airbag light once in a while. Went out one morning to my car and battery was dead, jump started the car and the Airbag light stayed illuminated. Since I've replaced the battery the light hasn't stayed on.

Take your car to an auto parts store and have them test the battery. Most places will do a free load test on the battery and tell you if it needs replacing.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I will second the airbag light coming on with my 06 fusion just before the battery finally died.

It did it for a couple of months. Sometimes it came on sometimes it didn't. I could turn off the ingnition and restart the car and the light would go away.

A week before I was going to take it in the battery died. I replaced the battery and it has been 2 months now and not a single airbag light since.

I don't know why it is but it happened and a new battery seemed to fix the error.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My light has just recently come on and im out of warranty. anyone know what it costs to get fixed? or if its a part i can take car of my self. my brother has access to a scanner, will that tell me whats wrong wether its any of the following that Cobra Jet had mentioned:
2) failing, failed or damaged front crash sensors (usually mounted to or near the front radiator support)
3) crash sensor connectors that have been poorly connected (ie: loose) or connectors in which the wiring has become damaged
5) missing or disconnected airbag module (usually located under the dash, sometimes on driver side or behind center console)

·
Super Moderator
5,737 Posts
[quote author=opie23 link=topic=166021.msg3539690#msg3539690 date=1265763970]
My light has just recently come on and im out of warranty. anyone know what it costs to get fixed? or if its a part i can take car of my self. my brother has access to a scanner, will that tell me whats wrong wether its any of the following that Cobra Jet had mentioned:
[/quote]

Hi opie. :wavey: Well, let's try to answer the questions we can:
First - No way to tell what it will cost until we know the cause.
Second - No way to tell it it is a part you can take care of yourself until you know the cause and parts involved. Some you could replace yourself, but until the cause is isolated it is not cost efficient to throw parts at the problem .
Third - If there is a code stored, it may be able to point you in the right direction. However, in many cases, codes only give general ideas of what the cause may be, not exact causes. And some of those 5 problems will not necessarily throw a code.

If you read some of the other airbag light threads, you will see that the low voltage on start-up caused by a failing battery can cause an airbag warning light. So to start, I would recommend you have a mechanic check your battery health. It may save you a lot of money to do that first.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
281 Posts
thanks for the info! ill head to the shop tomorrow and check out my battery. any advice about deep cell batteries?

·
Super Moderator
5,737 Posts
[quote author=opie23 link=topic=166021.msg3540053#msg3540053 date=1265774031]
thanks for the info! ill head to the shop tomorrow and check out my battery. any advice about deep cell batteries?
[/quote]

Hi opie. :wavey: Almost forgot. If you read your Warranty Guide (you were given it when you purchased your vehicle, if you purchased new), you will see that our vehicles have an extended Warranty on the Supplemental Restraint System.

A copy and paste from the Warranty Guide:
(2) Your vehicle’s safety belts and air bag Supplemental Restraint (SRS)
are covered for an extended Safety Restraint Coverage Period, which
lasts for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

So if there does turn out to be an airbag system problem, you may still be able to have it covered under that SRS Warranty.

Concerning "deep cell batteries". My personal opinion is that a good quality automotive battery of the proper CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) is sufficient. Personally, I usually stick with Motorcraft. But that is only my personal preference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just another data point: My SRS light was behaving as described in this thread, and it was, in fact, the battery (60K miles/4 years on the stocker). Reading this thread was what prompted me to get it checked, and afterward, I realized how (relatively) slow the starter motor had gotten during startup.

Brad

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just revisiting this post to chime in with another "a new battery cured it." Airbag light would occasionally come back on and stay lit after the initial startup cycle. Although I read the above posts, I discounted the battery because the car would still start okay, and all other electrics seemed fine. I was about to start down the path of testing and cleaning all airbag circuit connections when the battery really started to give up. Slow cranking and the occasional radio or climate control reset from last settings. Fortunately, I beat the devil and replaced the battery before it left me stranded. It was the original Motorcraft 40R and had lasted a pretty good six years without problems (mine is one of the earliest Fusions, with a November 05 delivery date). But in any case, the new battery cured the airbag light issue, with no further action. I guess the airbag test circuit is hypersensitive to voltage or amperage and set a malfunction light even though the battery otherwise seemed okay.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Reviving an old one here.... But tonight my light came on while driving. Car is cranking/starting just fine, and I replaced the original battery about two years ago. At first, I couldn't tell if the light was actually on because of how sunny it was today but once I got in the shade it was staring back at me. I continued driving, and once or twice it went out. The manual states there could be something under the seat causing the problem but there's nothing but the wiring harnesses. After starting up again and heading home from dinner, I noticed that my seat belt indicator did not come on, stay on, or 'ding' when I disconnected my belt. Also, while we were cruising through the lot I had my wife unhook hers and also did not get any alert and the passenger airbag off light didn't come on. I'm going to reset the computer (negative disconnect for a few minutes) and see if things go back to normal. If not, time to head into Ford. Of course, this month marks 5 years, and I just rolled over 64,000 miles. Grrrr!

·
Registered
982 Posts
*Update:

Got home, disconnected the battery for a few, sprayed some contact cleaner into the seat belt connector and latch and tried again. Seat belts are now registering correctly, but the airbag light is still on. It comes on when you turn the key, goes out for a second or two after starting and then comes right back on. Passenger airbag light not illuminated, even with Sarah in the seat without a seat belt on. Hmmmm. Sounds like I'm calling Ford in the morning.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Another update...

The car has been at the dealer since Tuesday. After a few hours of troubleshooting, they determined that the main airbag module under the seat needed to be replaced as it was not communicating properly. All connections and wires were checked. A new module was ordered and received Thursday and the repair expected to be completed by close of business. No call. I stopped by the dealer after work on Friday and spoke with the service writer and manager. We walked back into the service bay to find 4 techs and another on the phone working on my car. Apparently, the new module was installed and configured, but they were still receiving some of the same trouble codes as when I initially brought it in. Both front seats were removed, carpet pulled back, all lower interior trim pieces removed.

The car is officially out of warranty, purchased April 2007 with 64,000+ miles. When the service writer first told me what they believed the problem was, the cost for the part and labor was expected to be around $650. I contacted Ford Corporate and asked if they would consider covering the part since it was a safety related issue and so close to my warranty expiration. They contacted the dealership and they agreed to pay half, which I was more than happy with. With going on 5+ days of troubleshooting, I'm starting to get concerned. My service writer wasn't in yesterday, but the one I spoke with said my car was in the bay with a technician assigned but didn't have any updates to provide. I guess I'll be stopping by on Monday to see what the prognosis is and how we're going to proceed. They did offer to put me in a loaner/rental, but I declined since I have my truck as a backup.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Almost two weeks in the shop, but my car is back home with no more Airbag light. All in all, they had to replace both passenger seat tracks and associated sensors and the OCSM to finally get all the codes to clear. This was NOT a cheap repair. Total on the bill was just over $1300 since I'm out of warranty, but they stood by their agreement to split the cost with me and I paid around $620.

Here were the codes they pulled: B1342 and B2290

I've done a bit of reading and there are some similar cases out there, but not to the level that I'd expect a TSB or recall to result from it. It seems to be isolated to 06 and 07 Fusions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2010 Ford Fusion it was recently hit turn it to the body shop pick it up last week airbag light steady stays on it came on the week or two weeks before I took it to the body shop I put a scanner on it and scanner didn't come up with any codes I stopped by AutoZone and had my battery checked and alternator and everything was good but when I unhook the scanner from the car it won't start it just makes a clicking sound like the battery is dead and it won't crank ... Just a 20 minutes ago I went to the store and came out to leave the store my car wouldn't start so I had to get a jump

1 - 20 of 23 Posts